RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Reading Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 05:41 PM
Trebbor
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Reading Oil Level

I don't think I've ever had this problem before, but I cannot seem to read the level of the oil on the dipstick. I had the oil changed at a lube place (bad move but was in a rush). I noticed oil under the car next day. Checked the filter and it was loose. Tightened it to specs and wiped up the oil that had dripped and covered the oil pan. Then I checked the oil level. I could not seem to get a reading between the two dots on the dip stick. I had oil at least 3 inches about the high level mark. I wiped it several times, let the car stand overnight, and checked it again. Same thing, but I wasn't sure since the level wasn't obvious with clean oil. I decided to drain a quart out of the oil pan. That lowered it a bit, but still too high. Drained another quart and still the oil level on the dip stick seems too high above the second dot. Usually when you look at the oil level on a dip stick, it's quite obvious where the level is, but I cannot seem to get an obvious level reading. Has anyone else encountered this? Any suggestions? I don't trust the lube place to have put in the right amount although they said it was just over 6 litres. I'm thinking of starting over by draining the oil and refilling it (making sure of course, it stays clean). Thanks for any suggestions. Bob
Old 03-31-10, 08:10 PM
Trebbor
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Decided to take the scientific approach tonight. Drained the oil, filtered it, and poured most of it back into the engine. Had about a half a quart left over after putting in 5.7l which is what the manual states it takes without an oil filter. I still can't read the dipstick accurately but at least I know that the correct amount of oil is in the engine.
Old 03-31-10, 08:54 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Good job! Now you can sleep well knowing it was done right.
Old 03-31-10, 10:52 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trebbor
I don't think I've ever had this problem before, but I cannot seem to read the level of the oil on the dipstick. I had the oil changed at a lube place (bad move but was in a rush). I noticed oil under the car next day. Checked the filter and it was loose. Tightened it to specs and wiped up the oil that had dripped and covered the oil pan. Then I checked the oil level. I could not seem to get a reading between the two dots on the dip stick. I had oil at least 3 inches about the high level mark. I wiped it several times, let the car stand overnight, and checked it again. Same thing, but I wasn't sure since the level wasn't obvious with clean oil. I decided to drain a quart out of the oil pan. That lowered it a bit, but still too high. Drained another quart and still the oil level on the dip stick seems too high above the second dot. Usually when you look at the oil level on a dip stick, it's quite obvious where the level is, but I cannot seem to get an obvious level reading. Has anyone else encountered this? Any suggestions? I don't trust the lube place to have put in the right amount although they said it was just over 6 litres. I'm thinking of starting over by draining the oil and refilling it (making sure of course, it stays clean). Thanks for any suggestions. Bob
Message deleted
Old 03-31-10, 10:53 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Message deleted