RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Appropriate Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11, 11:54 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by phillydude
I see a lot of people getting the Michelin Latitude Tour tire, which are T Speed rated, whereas the RX330 AWD 18" comes with V rated Energy MXV4 tires. Is that ok? I called Michelin and also my local firestone and both recommended not downgrading.
Try the "Latitude Tour HP" since it is available in many different sizes as well as various speed ratings including V. This tire is highly rated for wear, comfort, noise and braking but no mileage warranty included. Good luck.
Old 02-12-11, 02:30 PM
petrogrom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
Just bought a brand-new preowned RX350 :-)
Had a tire pressure question... The recommended pressure is 30psi for my goodyear 18". It seems kind of low to me. Tire itself allows for inflation for up to 61 psi. Do you think I should put more than 30psi to increase MPGs and tire life. Oh, it's a FWD, btw. Thanks!
Old 02-12-11, 03:53 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by petrogrom
Hi all,
Just bought a brand-new preowned RX350 :-)
Had a tire pressure question... The recommended pressure is 30psi for my goodyear 18". It seems kind of low to me. Tire itself allows for inflation for up to 61 psi. Do you think I should put more than 30psi to increase MPGs and tire life. Oh, it's a FWD, btw. Thanks!
Welcome to Club Lexus.

Tire pressure is set by the manufacturer to provide the ultimate compromise in ride noise, handling, braking, etc. Also, keep in mind that the tires are integral to the suspension package.

Less air = softer tire sidewall, softer ride, possibly more bounce, more rolling drag

More air = harder tire sidewall, stiffer ride, better rolling tire

Too much air and you start reducing the amount of tire contact with the road. Braking distances increase. Handling in wet conditions can be compromised. The more air the more pronounced the wear becomes along the middle of the tire as the shoulders are no longer in contact with the road.

Lastly, different tire brands and even tire series from the same manufacturer have different characteristics. Running 30 PSI in one set of tires may feel different than running 30 PSI in another.

With all that said, while you do not want to run your tires at 61 PSI it is OK to run them a few PSI higher. I run my Bridgestone Alenzas at 35 PSI here in FL. No abnormal tire wear, behaves well in the wet, and I do not mind the harder ride. However, when I am in PA this time of year I run 32 PSI or less depending if it is snowing or not. Roads there are worse and I prefer a softer ride on those surfaces.
Old 04-23-11, 01:58 PM
TexRB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
TexRB, I had around 33-34 PSI in the Alenzas on my '04. As far as the ride, I can't comment since I had the performance package. The ride was already stiffer. The noise wasn't bad. Overall I was very happy with them. You might want to add a few lbs and see what happens. It sounds like they aren't for you though.
It's been a while, but to be fair to anyone reading about Alenza's & noise I experienced, I wanted to update my previous poor review. I decided to keep the Dueler Alenzas & have put about 1000 miles on them now. I bumped the PSI to 32 from 30, & the noise level decreased considerably & ride comfort didn't seem to change. They are now about the same as the OEM Michelins. Overall the tire has performed very well & handles better in the rain. Thank you to Kitlz for the suggestion.
Old 04-24-11, 08:47 PM
filmteknik
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought Dueler Alenzas yesterday. I had just shy of 55K on the OEM Michelin Energy tires which I understand is great for that tire. No complaints but I'm hoping for longer life. As I'd not included the spare in the rotation I was considering buying 3, making use of the spare, and keeping a worn tire for the spare. In the end I went with Bridgestone.

Alas, that meant I could not buy from Sam's Club which has given me good service in the past and I like their flat fee for installation and lifetime something or other. Shopping around online I found the best price at a Firestone store (company owned I think). My God...all those nickel and dime charges. I knew since I'd printed out a quote and what matters is the bottom line but they could take a hint from Sam's. Plus they wanted another 35 a tire for road hazard or something.

They also tried to sell me a 95 dollar rear wheel alignment. They gave me a printout saying the front was fine but rear was a little off. I said I'd think about it. I'm not saying they are wrong but I had exceedingly even wear with the Michelins and I think I only rotated them twice in 55K.

Finally, what do you get for 27.96 of TPMS service kit & labor? Apparently not new valve stems. They didn't change mine. (One has worn away threads; that's how I know.) I suppose they could have put new valve cores in. Actually I'm just as happy if they didn't touch them since they've worked fine and seem to be leak free.

I look forward to the next MPG check to see if it's changed. My long term hope is for many safe and reliable miles on these tires, exceeding that of the Michelins...and, when the day comes to replace the Alenzas, whatever the best recommended replacement is at that time will be something I can buy at Sam's Club.
Old 04-25-11, 03:49 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by TexRB
It's been a while, but to be fair to anyone reading about Alenza's & noise I experienced, I wanted to update my previous poor review. I decided to keep the Dueler Alenzas & have put about 1000 miles on them now. I bumped the PSI to 32 from 30, & the noise level decreased considerably & ride comfort didn't seem to change. They are now about the same as the OEM Michelins. Overall the tire has performed very well & handles better in the rain. Thank you to Kitlz for the suggestion.
Tex, glad to hear changing the tire pressure worked for you Enjoy the ride.
Old 04-27-11, 03:52 PM
LexiRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not in the market currently but we always try to buy tires at Sams Club if at all possible. Good prices, lifetime rotation all good.

I was reading this thread interested to learn what is the QUIETEST tire on the market for the RX. Not a lot of data on that and whatever is out there seems mostly anecdotal....