RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX CPO Vs Extended warranty issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-10, 07:30 AM
FuGSOwner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX CPO Vs Extended warranty issues

Has anyone had an experience where the dealership would fix a car issue with CPO and not on extended warranty? I know CPO vehicle goes thru a rigorous check before label as a CPO. With extended warranty, you can get it before the car hits 100,000 miles.

I have read user from this site mentioning the dealership will fix whatever issue their CPO car has without question ask. Would they fix the same issue if the car has extended warranty?

Let me know if their situation like that out there. I would like to know. Thank
Old 05-02-10, 08:09 AM
tfischer

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

When I last looked, there were several (3) levels of "Extended Warranty." The CPO was the equal of the "platinum" or the highest of the three levels, which was just below the new car warranty in the extent of its coverage.
That should answer your first question.
The other questions, if that's what they are, seem garbled, but these warranties are discussed at length on this forum, which has a search function, and the current terms and conditions of purchase are described on the Lexus site.
If you have a Lexus at this time and are interested in an "extended warranty," you might call the dealership, as I would think a salesman there, informed of the model, year and mileage of your car, would be a more reliable source of current information than "user from this site."
Old 05-02-10, 09:58 AM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by FuGSOwner
Has anyone had an experience where the dealership would fix a car issue with CPO and not on extended warranty? I know CPO vehicle goes thru a rigorous check before label as a CPO. With extended warranty, you can get it before the car hits 100,000 miles.

I have read user from this site mentioning the dealership will fix whatever issue their CPO car has without question ask. Would they fix the same issue if the car has extended warranty?

Let me know if their situation like that out there. I would like to know. Thank
There are couple of things that are wrong here. Any opinion expressed on the net (including mine) can be misleading ... so talk to the dealership or the warranty provider to get the right information.

1. To purchase an extended warranty, your base warranty should be still active and it based on time AND milage and it is far less than 100kmiles.

2. There is no mechanical check performed to purchase the ext, warranty.

3. As pointed out by tfisscher, there are various level of warranties and year to year they have changed. There are exclusions and Lexus has modified the exclusion. See the fine print.

4. IMHO CPO is yet another form of extended warranty ... purchased by the dealership and the cost passed on the new owner. The dealer check the vehicle, but I see no sense in going the extra mile as the warranty covers the repairs.

5.Dealership does nothing for free. They will gladly do what ever the insurance or the owner would pay for. The exception is the goodwill (not Lexus corp's goodwill), where the cost is eaten up by the dealership and it comes out of their bottom line. Service manager deals with this and lot of it depends upon the profit the dealership is making and how much they value the particular customer.

6. Every thing and without questions asked is a sweeping statement <= I would not count on it. Read the fine print.

Salim
Old 05-02-10, 11:43 AM
FuGSOwner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the input guys. I will look into it.