RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus Quality-New Owner Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-10, 12:27 PM
noz34me
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus Quality-New Owner Concerns

Recently purchased an off-lease 04 RX330 for the wife. The most complete maintenance records available I've ever seen; all done at the previous owner's Lexus dealership.

I've always found a forum for any car I've purchased or considered purchasing and this appeared to be the best one for Lexus I found. That said, I also understand there's always a lot of problems posted on these forums, because logically, that's where people go to vent, and to find possible solutions.

Although I've already pulled the trigger, and the car is in the garage, it does concern me that Lexus seems to drop the ball on so many simple things that seem to last forever on other cars I've owned. Examples:
  • Trim pieces (rear quarter) falling off; luggage rack issues
  • Headlights with excessive condensate
  • Wheels that have blistered paint
  • Transmission problems with the RX 300

Still, the car with it's fit and finish, bells and whistles and interior appointments is impressive. I find it odd that given the reputation of Lexus (the brand), that consistent problems like this are possible. I mean, I've got a '94 Mustang GT Vert, and it's never had a problem. The wheels are immaculate, headlights good, no trim falling off. I do take very good care of my cars. Just hope this Lexus isn't going to nickel and dime (sorry, it's a Lexus) I meant to say dollar me to death.

I'm sure most of these are vendor products being sold to Lexus, but is somebody dropping the ball on quality control?
Old 05-12-10, 01:12 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think the problems you listed are issues all manufacturers have,

i dont think any one manufacturer has mastered the automatic transmission.

headlights seem to condensate left right and center

as far as paint blistering on rims, i havent seen any make with mileage which doesnt have that issue, why they paint rims to begin with is beyond me.

perhaps if you checked this forum first it would have led you to look at possible issued before buying and use it as negotiating power, ie have them fix all the issues prior to pick up.

all in all, all manufacturers build there car to last past the warranty time frame, any longer and people wont replace them with new ones
Old 05-12-10, 01:36 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As I previously stated in another thread:

"Lexus - The Pursuit of Perfection"? I guess they're still pursuing it. When I hear of condensation in the headlights, windows falling out, transmission issues, etc, I have to wonder. Sure, nothing is "perfect" and in most cases, Lexus/Toyota is very committed to fixing the problems.

kiwi,

"all in all, all manufacturers build there car to last past the warranty time frame, any longer and people wont replace them with new ones"

I've owned many Hondas/Acuras over the past 30 years that had almost no issues other than wear and tear. Never had windows fall out or condensation in the headlights. I still love my RX (first Lexus), but have serious concerns about what's going to fall off/break before 100K miles.
Old 05-12-10, 02:08 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by noz34me
Recently purchased an off-lease 04 RX330 for the wife. The most complete maintenance records available I've ever seen; all done at the previous owner's Lexus dealership.

I've always found a forum for any car I've purchased or considered purchasing and this appeared to be the best one for Lexus I found. That said, I also understand there's always a lot of problems posted on these forums, because logically, that's where people go to vent, and to find possible solutions.

Although I've already pulled the trigger, and the car is in the garage, it does concern me that Lexus seems to drop the ball on so many simple things that seem to last forever on other cars I've owned. Examples:
  • Trim pieces (rear quarter) falling off; luggage rack issues
  • Headlights with excessive condensate
  • Wheels that have blistered paint
  • Transmission problems with the RX 300

Still, the car with it's fit and finish, bells and whistles and interior appointments is impressive. I find it odd that given the reputation of Lexus (the brand), that consistent problems like this are possible. I mean, I've got a '94 Mustang GT Vert, and it's never had a problem. The wheels are immaculate, headlights good, no trim falling off. I do take very good care of my cars. Just hope this Lexus isn't going to nickel and dime (sorry, it's a Lexus) I meant to say dollar me to death.

I'm sure most of these are vendor products being sold to Lexus, but is somebody dropping the ball on quality control?
[*]Trim pieces (rear quarter) falling off; luggage rack issues

As long as the trim is still in place, you can make sure it stays in place. This is minor.

Luggage rack, there's a TSB to repair them, minor.

[*]Headlights with excessive condensate

This is a big one. Yours will be affected, they corrected the years after, but there is a fix which I did that worked. So good luck on this.[*]Wheels that have blistered paint

This is not Lexus. If it was re-painted, then it is a painting issue.
[*]Transmission problems with the RX 300

The RX330 with some shifting issues, but no failures, compared to RX300.

If you have purchased the RX330, welcome and good luck, enjoy your ride. We do!
Old 05-12-10, 03:03 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

to the OP, lets not jump to conclusions on Lexus quality issues.

For 1, even though we see repeated threads about headlight condensation, its really not a huge problem because it doesnt affect the light output, nor any other quality aspect of the headlight that I can imagine. Its only a cosmetic issue. Same with the transmission, I dont think that I have seen a single thread of a transmission failure in the 2nd generation forum, and even though my transmission is annoying, it hasnt stopped working.

As for the other stuff, these things are big problems, but more like wear and tear on a vehicle.

Its also not guaranteed that you will experience all of these issues, so no need to worry about something that you cant predict.

Enjoy the car and welcome!
Old 05-12-10, 10:02 PM
greasegun
Driver School Candidate

I had my 2004 RX 330 since brand new and I never yet spend a dime for any repair on this vehicle except for the maintenance service and wear and tear like brakes and tires. The headlight condensation and radiator leak, the dealer repaired them at no cost to me. Aside from that I just drive it with no trouble at all with 74000 kilometers.
Old 05-13-10, 05:40 AM
noz34me
Rookie

Appreciate the feedback. I just know that there are a number of Japanese vehicles that go 300K miles with no significant issues. Not sure these RX's are cut from that mold, but doubt we would be keeping this car much past 100K anyhow.

About 15 years ago, after my last debacle with GM, I swore I would buy a Japanese car with 100K miles before I would buy a new GM or Ford product. Hope I don't end up eating those words.

Other than the transmission problems with the 1st gen, most of the things I listed are just dumb issues that it would seem most QC departments would catch before they get out into the field.

I hope Lexus isn't designing these things for failure after the warranty period. That reminds me of GE practices. It doesn't make sense they warrant the CPO units for 100K miles if that was the case, but who knows. As I said, most all car forums usually focus on problems encountered. That's how they help.
Old 05-14-10, 08:37 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Appreciate the feedback. I just know that there are a number of Japanese vehicles that go 300K miles with no significant issues. Not sure these RX's are cut from that mold, but doubt we would be keeping this car much past 100K anyhow.

About 15 years ago, after my last debacle with GM, I swore I would buy a Japanese car with 100K miles before I would buy a new GM or Ford product. Hope I don't end up eating those words.

Other than the transmission problems with the 1st gen, most of the things I listed are just dumb issues that it would seem most QC departments would catch before they get out into the field.

I hope Lexus isn't designing these things for failure after the warranty period. That reminds me of GE practices. It doesn't make sense they warrant the CPO units for 100K miles if that was the case, but who knows. As I said, most all car forums usually focus on problems encountered. That's how they help.
You seem to know QC department...

The key is DFSS, Design for Six Sigma, which if done right does not require QC.
Old 05-14-10, 09:10 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig

Seems Lexus didn't get it right... they're still pursuing "Perfection".
Old 05-14-10, 10:11 AM
noz34me
Rookie

Originally Posted by mandyfig

There's a blast from my past. Six Sigma. Retired from GE last year. Good concept, but easy to manipulate the data to make it look like you're accomplishing something when you're not.
Old 05-14-10, 10:23 AM
salimshah

Received 1,062 Likes on 957 Posts

Nothing is perfect, Lexus has quite a bit of road in front of them to get to very close to perfection ... and that applies to other manufacturers too (maybe a bit more).

We should do a relative comparison and look at the bigger picture (not just your personal experience and look at failure rates to vehicle manufactured and most important of all how many you see still on the road).

Salim
Old 05-14-10, 02:34 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 170 Likes on 144 Posts

I see as many 1st gens on the road as 2nd gens, should tell you something.
Old 05-15-10, 03:08 PM
noz34me
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
I see as many 1st gens on the road as 2nd gens, should tell you something.
Yes, I see a lot of the 300's still going and in fact most look really good! Given the transmission problems of gen 1 I think that's a good sign as well.

As I stated, forums like this are aways a focal point for problems; doesn't mean everybody's car is going to develop them, but it is helpful in looking for trends. Consumer Reports thinks very highly of these cars, but then they've been in love with Japanese cars for decades.
Old 06-20-10, 04:43 PM
rxnewb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I've already pulled the trigger, and the car is in the garage, it does concern me that Lexus seems to drop the ball on so many simple things that seem to last forever on other cars I've owned.
You shouldn't have a problem with quality. Lexus is great stuff. However, it is a luxury vehicle so the cost of ownership is waaayyy more then a standard vehicle. Everything on it, from tires, to oil changes, to windshield wiper blades are priced at a premium. So, when something does go wrong, expect to open your wallet wide for the luxury of driving luxury.