RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus RX330 electronic problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-10, 02:41 PM
teakwunv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus RX330 electronic problems?

I have 05 Lexus RX330(out of warranty now), and when I turn it on, all warring lights are on. Airbags, and breaks, ABS, VSC...etc.

The engin is working fine, but I couldn't move my shift from"P" to "D" because it is locked(I pressed my break, but couldn't move it).

Also, my power window and sunroof is not working.It looks like out of power something.
I have navigation with air condition controller inside, but this function is also locked(The touch screen is locked), but navigation working fine.

After couple of times I turn it on and off, all lights are off, or sometimes ABS, and break lights are off(still VSC, check engine, airbags are on), then I could move my shift to "D"
(I know there is break release button left side of gear box, but I don't want to use it for the safety.)

I went dealer couple of times, and they said my battery is wick so I replaced it, but still same.
I went to dealer again, and they said now break switch is problem, so I changed it.
However, all these changes didn't fix the problem.
I spent more then $500, but still I have same problem.

I called dealer yesterday again, and now they want to do dynamo test, and the price is $120 per hour and need at least 3 hours.

I am not sure, but I feel like I spent more then $500 for fixed all wrong things.

Is there anyone has same problem like me, or had experience before?

I need some help!
Old 05-25-10, 04:47 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all those things they tried do make sense, this example reminds me of my time as a mechanic. all you can do is try one thing after another.

i would possibly try another dealership "fresh eyes" do have a positive effect. if thats not possible, i would make sure that they have called the toyota/lexus tech line. this is a phone number for dealers only to call and get technical advice from engineers at the national level. you never know, someone on the other side of the country could have had this very problem and they will be able to fix it quickly.

as for the dynamo, that seems a little out in left field to me. sounds to me like an electrical issue, maybe an alternator issue, i would also have them try another battery, maybe the one they sold you is a lemon.

also, the there scan tool should be able to pick up codes left right and center, so they should be able to go on that.

good luck, keep us posted
Old 05-25-10, 05:38 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by teakwunv
I have 05 Lexus RX330(out of warranty now), and when I turn it on, all warring lights are on. Airbags, and breaks, ABS, VSC...etc.

The engin is working fine, but I couldn't move my shift from"P" to "D" because it is locked(I pressed my break, but couldn't move it).

Also, my power window and sunroof is not working.It looks like out of power something.
I have navigation with air condition controller inside, but this function is also locked(The touch screen is locked), but navigation working fine.

After couple of times I turn it on and off, all lights are off, or sometimes ABS, and break lights are off(still VSC, check engine, airbags are on), then I could move my shift to "D"
(I know there is break release button left side of gear box, but I don't want to use it for the safety.)

I went dealer couple of times, and they said my battery is wick so I replaced it, but still same.
I went to dealer again, and they said now break switch is problem, so I changed it.

I called dealer yesterday again, and now they want to do dynamo test, and the price is $120 per hour and need at least 3 hours.

I am not sure, but I feel like I spent more then $500 for fixed all wrong things.

I need some help!
Lets take one thing at a time ...
Do you have the owner's manual and have you read it cover to cover.

All warning lights are supposed to Turn ON when you move the ignition to run/on from ACC. A good driver needs to confirm that the warning lamps do turn of (and are not popped). When the engine is running these lights should turn off and if they dont then you have a problem.

Park to D has the interlock. Have some one check if the brake lights turn on in the back .. that would mean that the brake switch is functioning and may be release relay needs adjustment. Else you need to replace the switch.

I dont know what the dynamo test would do for you.

Are you asking the dealer for advice or giving them the keys to fix the problems?

Salim

PS: Please do not take offense to my post. I have no idea how much you know about the RX.
Old 05-25-10, 06:56 PM
teakwunv
Driver School Candidate

I read manual more then twice, and there is no answer.
I talked to mechanic in dealer last time, they don't know what is causing this problem.
Now my front light is not working when I leave it to AUTO.
Old 05-25-10, 07:00 PM
teakwunv
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys...I will try fresh eyes....
Old 05-25-10, 08:20 PM
vg1134
Driver

sounds like your alternator is about to go.
Old 05-26-10, 08:00 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I need some help!
It appears that you never had the car towed to a dealer or private shop. You asked for ideas by telephone or by talking to mechanics and did their suggestions (guesses) yourself. They didn't work. The outcome is not surprising. Did anyone suggest the use of an ODBII code reader to pull the failure codes from the vehicle computer? That should be job #1.
Old 05-26-10, 12:26 PM
teakwunv
Driver School Candidate

Well...they used code reader, and they found failure code for battery first, and then after changed it they found another code for break switch. After replace break switch, they didn't find any other failure code.
However, I still have same problem.

Yesterday, I took off and put in the main fuse form the fuse box, and it was working. Except check engine and VSC lights are still there.

However, It happen again today.
I couldn't move my shift to "D" due to break light is on.
Also window didn't work.

Is this alternator problem?

I am think to go to T-Lex Auto Service or BULLOCKCITY Auto Service next week.
Do you guys recommended which one is better?
Old 05-26-10, 01:01 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Well...they used code reader, and they found failure code for battery first, and then after changed it they found another code for break switch. After replace break switch, they didn't find any other failure code.

Yesterday, I took off and put in the main fuse form the fuse box, and it was working. Except check engine and VSC lights are still there.

However, It happen again today.
I couldn't move my shift to "D" due to break light is on.
Also window didn't work.

Is this alternator problem?

I am think to go to T-Lex Auto Service or BULLOCKCITY Auto Service next week.
Do you guys recommended which one is better?
This is all too bizarre!

I would suggest take your RX to a dealer or reputable shop. Some of the stuff you have been told does not make sense. Dont diagnose any thing, and let the dealer/shop figure out what is going on and they need to fix it. If the problem returns, you should take it back and they should fix it for free for a minimum of 90 days.

Salim
Old 05-26-10, 01:40 PM
teakwunv
Driver School Candidate

What do you mean doesn't make sense?
I already went dealer 3 times.
I spend $500.
They don't know the problem now.
They want to do dynamo test at this time, and the price is $120 per hour and need at least 3 hours.
However, they don't guaranty they can find problem or not by dynamo test!
Should I keep spend money?

I have all paper for the scan result and I fixed whatever they told me.
They don't do any free for a minimum of 90 days.
Old 05-26-10, 02:51 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

An idea to try at home is to leave the battery disconnected for a night to let the computer reset and then try to start as usual in the morning.
Old 05-26-10, 11:28 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Did you re-set the power windows operation after replacing the battery?
Old 05-27-10, 04:08 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think what salimshah is saying is that if they diagnos something and get it wrong, they will rediagnos for free in 90 days, personally i think thats a crap statement, diagnostics are not an exact science, its customer pay all the way. (out of warranty anyway)

this is why before you get the dynamo test i would try a different dealership. or if that is not an option i would try going back to the same dealer and request that someone else take a look at the vehicle, maybe they have an inexperienced tech / apprentice looking at it. here is what, When i worked at Acura, this one mechanic was trying to diagnos a vehicle with the wrong manual, spent 3 hours going in circles, til he finally asked for help, and we noticed right away he grabbed the wring book off the shelf, worst part, the customer got charged the labour for his mistake. you never know which tech will get your car, i would also ask for management to get involved, including the owner. more people never hurts.

i would also ask what the dynamo test does for your type of problem. what is it they want to acheive with the dynamo test.

i dont see the point in taking it to any other place than the dealer, they have the correct tools (scanners) to work on the car, also, there techs are the most familiar with your car. at the end of the day you might jsut have to drop off the car and say fix it, call me when its ready.
Old 05-27-10, 09:08 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Sorry to hear that you are getting the short stick. How can a reputable Lexus dealer send you home without diagnosing what's wrong. HOW?

Keep your receipts, you might get reimbursed. Go to another dealer and good luck in getting your RX fixed.

Call the Lexus Customer care and complain. $500 later and you are a dissatisfied Lexus owner, they will not want to hear that.
Old 05-27-10, 11:07 AM
teakwunv
Driver School Candidate

I changed my battery in the dealer($90 battery+$120 Labor).
I think they re-set the power windows operation after replacing the battery.

Can you guys tell me the contact # for Customer care?

Thanks all!

Quick Reply: Lexus RX330 electronic problems?