RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New Guy with a Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-10, 03:37 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

We are here to listen to you and give our best advice.

In life we all have experienced good and bad. One really needs to keep things in perspective, else the bad things dont even let us enjoy the good ones. It may be of no consolation to you as the issue is right front and center. Step back and access your situation.

Can you get out of the deal and if so what is the cost?
Can you live with the situation .. specially you have the Extended warranty? [Just imagine if you had bought the veh brand new and the same problem popped up at 2k miles. Believe me, Lexus (or any other company) would install a refurbished transmission.]
If every time you drive and worry about the next failure and dealing with the dealership, I would suggest sell the vehicle. You may loose couple of hundred bucks {assuming you paid the market value).

At the end, I would repeat, you dont need to waste good energy on this issue.

Salim
Old 06-19-10, 08:14 PM
vg1134
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 08 rx 350 with 78k and I am not worrying. If you look at all the used Rx out there-you will find some with some really hight miles 200k +. This shows they are realible cars that are well built.
For your vehicle, its an isolate case and one that lexus cpo inspection should have caught.
As far as having a rebuilt unit been placed on your car, lexus just about replaces everything inside that tranny. All you will have that is original is the casing and the planetary gears. besides most likely you will get 60k warranty on it.
Old 06-20-10, 05:10 AM
ycl1688
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oubobcat
Sorry grumpa, I don't see it that way. If you've ever been on the wrong end of this type of situation you'd understand. I sincerely hope you never get there. You'll change your tune and trust me, you don't over it.

As for Lexus owning up to it? The jury is still out. I haven't had a chance to look at the car no inspect the quality of work. In addition, I need to put miles on it before we know if anything is fixed. You're also assuming that they identified what caused the failure.

Expectation overwhelming? Why, because I trusted the Lexus brand and dealership to actually inspect the car? Maybe its because I thought Lexus' were built with quality? Or because I didn't expect for Lexus to sell the tooling to a third party for their transmissions (yes this is in the voicemail from the SM).

I'm happy that you are happy with your car. Your comment about tires doesn't make sense or I don't share your sense of humor.

Driving for three weeks is a long time.....maybe I can drive it for three weeks before something else goes bad. I'll be sure to let you know.
I can see your frustration with dealer oversight and bad customer service, so the next time why not try a private seller ? I have been happy with most private car purchase, as the saying goes the top most hated person is the used car salesman. Life is all about learning from your mistakes. It is a sinking feeling every time you drive your car feeling what is the next problem, it is not worth it.

Last edited by ycl1688; 06-20-10 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-26-10, 06:19 AM
oubobcat
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

update:

I picked the vehicle up on Monday, June 21st. Before inspecting/driving it, I sat with the service manager for over an hour going over the problem, the fix, and the CPO inspection sheet that clearly stated no abnormal noises were heard.

I was told that ALL-TECH re-manufactures the transmissions, fortunately for me, my wife was able to discover that it is actually AWTEC which has ties to Aisin a Toyota OEM. The Service manager did own up to accidentally providing me the Car-wash maintenance company....ALL-Tech.

We have driven the vehicle for a few days and it seems ok. The Service manager repeatedly stated the only re-used part is the case, specifically All internals are new. Like VG1134 says, I do not believe this but I was almost ready to believe that he did. What I don't like about this is that I bought a 25K mile car and who knows how much time/cycles the reused parts have. I'm ok with the case, not with the gears or other reused wear items.

Lexus offered to provide our next three maintenances free. We haven't received the letter we were promised stating this. I have requested an extended warranty. My reasoning was that the 3y/100K doesn't do much for me as we drive 15K/year and have 34months/45K factory remaining.

The Service Manager was nothing but professional and worthy of future business. It remains to be seen if the Brand is worthy.

If Lexus steps up and extends the warranty I may consider Lexus in the future. If they pass, then I'm still left with an unknown tranny and many other brands that I can explore and if they do have a problem, oh well, so did Lexus.
Old 06-26-10, 09:41 AM
salimshah

At this time you you have a year worth of maintenance free and warranty. I would say its time to enjoy the vehicle. As you get close to end of warranty decide if you want to keep or sell the RX.

It is not the best outcome you had hoped for but not a terrible situation to be in.

Salim
Old 06-26-10, 06:10 PM
vg1134
Driver

Glad to hear you are up and running. I wish I can say-all will be ok and you would believe it, but....... I can say that you won’t be having any transmission problems.
One thing- don’t beat on your tranny for the first 500-1000 miles to test its reliability. Let it all settle in. Also, don’t forget that these trannies have that slight delay when you are coming to a full stop but then take off quickly and it feels for a second or two that it lost. This is a software issue that they have never fixed or better yet perfected. On the 07-09 we have the electronic throttle so it’s even more apparent than 04-06 models
Old 06-27-10, 08:46 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vg1134
On the 07-09 we have the electronic throttle so it’s even more apparent than 04-06 models
I have a 2007 model and don't have any transmission problems, shifting problems or delays. I think painting the entire RX fleet with a shift delay problem is a stretch.
Old 06-27-10, 10:52 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainbird
I have a 2007 model and don't have any transmission problems, shifting problems or delays. I think painting the entire RX fleet with a shift delay problem is a stretch.
I agree with vg1134. My old RX300 had the 'delay' because it shifted into longest gear when coasting to a stop; it would then take a little time (and sometimes jerk') when downshifting if the accelerator was pressed before a full stop. The same behavior is evident in my 09RX350; less obvious than previously but still quite evident. The RX350 does not like downshifting, and seems to have a problem doing so smoothly.
Old 06-28-10, 11:29 AM
oubobcat
Rookie

You are correct, I am in as good a situation as can be with the service and warranty. I'm good about breaking in vehicles and taking easy on them ( I send my oil/trans fluid out for analysis, so I am very by-the-book maintenance and procedure). The RX will have ~ 900 miles on it before I drive take it on trip over the 4th of July holiday. The miles will be mostly high way with no sudden accels, etc.

I'm going to accept the current status, enjoy the vehicle, andkeep a close eye on it.

Thanks for all the help/recommendations/support. This is a great forum.
Old 06-28-10, 12:02 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

There you go. Patience is a virtue. And yes it is very difficult to be in your situation. It is good that you joined this forum.

Welcome again. Post pics!
Old 06-28-10, 06:25 PM
vg1134
Driver

Originally Posted by Rainbird
glad to hear you are one of the lucky ones with out the inherited gene for the Rx line. No-I'm not painting the Rx fleet, but if you took a poll on the issue you would be out number. don't get me wrong I really enjoy my RX even with this issue and will buy another one in the future.
I, also have a brand new venza with the v6 and the new 6 speed tranny.
Could you believe it also has the shift problem. Its not apparent like the 08 Rx, but its there.
Old 07-01-10, 07:07 AM
rxnewb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oubobcat
If I get a rebuilt then I do not trust this vehicle. I'll take the loss on something else.
As long as it was rebuilt by authorized Lexus (Toyota) it should be fine.

Last edited by rxnewb; 07-01-10 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-10-10, 12:09 PM
oubobcat
Rookie

Update,

Took the RX on a ~1250 mile round trip down to North Carolina from Cincinnati Ohio. Vehicle Performance was exceptional.

We averaged about 25.5mpg per tank trying to maintain between 75-80mph when able. I was pleased with the power in the mountains of West Virginia. This was with the A/C on, two beagles, and all of our stuff.

I was very impressed.
Old 07-10-10, 12:53 PM
salimshah

Glad you are enjoying it.

Salim