RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 RX330 w/20" rims

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-10, 07:19 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock widths on the GT-R is staggered, Look at all these EVO and Skyline time attacks running staggered wheels and/or staggered width tires. Width and offset doesn't affect ratio.. running height of wheel and tire do.

This is my buddies quote Hmmmm

I would love to know where the rumor came from about staggered rims on AWD cars can damage the drivetrain.

Jeff92se I agree and it's really hard to find classy wheels for a crossover luxury SUV. However I think the ones your showing are too TRD style. A bit bland for a Lexus. It's all personal choice. I would like those wheels on a blazer or explorer.

Last edited by infinirx; 06-25-10 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-28-10, 02:20 AM
action
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by veleno
When you go to test fit, be sure to take pictures so we know how it fits. At the least take note of fitment in the wheel wells.

Let me restate what I'm trying to say as I think I might be saying it wrong.

For our cars, we need to use different offsets in the front and rear to get the wheels flush with the fender, but using the same width in the front and rear.

For example:

front = 22x9 +35
rear = 22x9 +15
tires = 265/35/22 on all 4 wheels

This should bring the wheels flush with the fender and also allow for tire rotation to get the most out of the tires.

I will edit my post above so I don't mislead anyone.

how can you rotate when the offset's different? wouldnt look really weird? wide front and narrow rear?
Old 06-28-10, 02:38 AM
action
Driver

i found this great calculator. Anyone knw the offset of our oem rims? is it 7.5 width and +35 offset? looks like if you want to run 9" wide rims you'll need +15 offset in order to have same backspacing as 7.5 wide +35 offset.

http://www.1010tires.com/wheeloffsetCalculator.asp

Last edited by action; 06-28-10 at 02:50 AM.
Old 06-28-10, 03:29 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by action
how can you rotate when the offset's different? wouldnt look really weird? wide front and narrow rear?
You can rotate side to side but not front to back. However, if for whatever reason need to rotate front to back it's only a matter of swapping the tires on the wheels, and not the wheels
Old 06-28-10, 07:17 AM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i found this great calculator. Anyone knw the offset of our oem rims? is it 7.5 width and +35 offset? looks like if you want to run 9" wide rims you'll need +15 offset in order to have same backspacing as 7.5 wide +35 offset.

http://www.1010tires.com/wheeloffsetCalculator.asp
uhh... a 7.5 with +35 is WAAAAY more conservative than a 9 with +15. At that point you'll likely have the rim sticking out of your fender. I dont know much about RX wheel fitment atm, but thats closer to SC sizing. You would likely have to run that same +35 or possibly go with a higher offset if you're wanting to retain stock-like fitment. If you want something more aggressive then a lower offset is def the way to do that.

also, I wouldnt plan on rotating your tires with a staggered setup. You'll have to strip and remount with more tires being directional.
Old 06-28-10, 10:05 AM
action
Driver

Originally Posted by Matador
uhh... a 7.5 with +35 is WAAAAY more conservative than a 9 with +15. At that point you'll likely have the rim sticking out of your fender. I dont know much about RX wheel fitment atm, but thats closer to SC sizing. You would likely have to run that same +35 or possibly go with a higher offset if you're wanting to retain stock-like fitment. If you want something more aggressive then a lower offset is def the way to do that.

also, I wouldnt plan on rotating your tires with a staggered setup. You'll have to strip and remount with more tires being directional.
yes im looking for more of an aggressive setup. Currently there's a 1 inch or so gap between the outside edge of the rear rims and the fender lip. I want this to be flush hence the +15 offset.
Old 06-28-10, 10:58 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

That site I think is amazing. Better than the other calculators just cause it deals with the rim and not the tire. The others are useless if you dunno what tire you need.

Does anyone know the specs on the chrome 18" stocks for the 205 330 off hand?
Old 06-28-10, 11:19 AM
action
Driver

i think it's 18x7 +35. i could be wrong though.
Old 06-28-10, 11:29 AM
action
Driver

also found this. gives you the offset and looks pretty flush!

http://articles.dashzracing.com/wp-c...-vip-style.jpg
Old 06-28-10, 06:42 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

OMG those are cambered in the rear. It's on Air Bags period.
Old 06-28-10, 07:47 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes im looking for more of an aggressive setup. Currently there's a 1 inch or so gap between the outside edge of the rear rims and the fender lip. I want this to be flush hence the +15 offset.
niiice, aggressive is good. Thought you were trying to retain oem fitment. You keeping stock suspension?
Old 06-28-10, 09:36 PM
action
Driver

Originally Posted by Matador
niiice, aggressive is good. Thought you were trying to retain oem fitment. You keeping stock suspension?
yes i plan on keeping it stock height. I think our cars look too much like a minivan once lowered...

at most maybe a subtle lip in the future, but mostly just wider rims. The design of the body and the narrow rims make it also look very top heavy.
Old 06-29-10, 01:21 AM
RonMexico5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like this guy's setup and think something like this would look great on my black RX. Unfortunately he posted a few pics and vanished. I think they're 20x9 IIRC.

Old 07-02-10, 03:18 AM
action
Driver

ok so a little about staggered setups on AWD cars.

Can it be done? Yes. Lots of AWD cars have them including the GTR, so what's the issue? well, if not done properly, a staggered setup can ruin a AWD system because the front and rear wheels are different circumferences. This means they're spinning at a different rate which causes the computer to think that either the front or the rear are always slipping. This can ruin your center diff. Now as long as you keep the same circumference in both the front and rear wheels, you can run a staggered setup.

2 different types of staggers:
1. larger rim wheel and smaller front rim such as found in the NSX and corvette (ie. 17x8 front and 18x8 rear)
2. wider rim wheel and narrower front rim (ie. 18x8 front and 18x10 rear)

So now you think if you go with the 2nd type of stagger (narrower front, wider rear, but overall same rim size) the overall circumference of the rim + tire will be the same and no problem? Yes thats correct, HOWEVER you will need to run diff sized tires as well, ie. 245/45/18 front and 285/45/18 rear. Obviously if you run 245/45/18 tires on both an 8 and 10 inch wide rim, the rear will have much smaller circumference because of the stretch.

Now if you run same rim + tire spec front and back except the offset is different to achieve that staggered look, this is perfectly fine and you wont have to worry about different tires as the rim is the same width and overall circumference still the same.

Hope this clears it up. Now for those thats going to order your own rims and not get a wheel shop to do all the calculations, here's a tire size calculator that tells you the circumference differences in different sized rim applications:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

word has it is if you keep the difference under 6 revs/mile, it's safe enough for the AWD system. This however is not scientifically proven so do so at your own risk. Safest route is just to go with same spec rim + tire with diff offset.
Old 07-03-10, 06:39 PM
richardrx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

action,
I don't think the 255/45/20 would fit.
I slapped on 255/40/20 D'vinci Duros on mines and they fit flush.
The rear tire is very close to the shock.

Quick Reply: 2004 RX330 w/20" rims