RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Weapon-R intake review :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 12:06 AM
action
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only downside i see is this intake is sucking in hot air from the engine bay where the oem airbox sucks in cool air from the front. I wonder if dropping in an OEM sized K&N filter into the airbox would also gain similiar results in MPG as this...

any chance for clearer day time pics?
Old 07-27-10, 02:39 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nah using just the filter would be minimal. The bot is such a ridiculous thing. It's like 3 sections of compartments holding back air. Just a filter will not do a whole lot.

The intake is getting air from the cold. The OEM intake piece in front by the grill is still there letting the colt air in and it's getting blasted into the same area but not exactly where the filter is. I wish they designed it to co exist specifically with that hole but maybe they tried and found it to hinder. Who knows..

Yeah I can take better pics. Just really busy and forget to do it.
Old 07-27-10, 06:17 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

With the 2nd gen RX (unlike the first) that hole down on the bumper has the transmission cooler there. On the 1st generation RX, it's on the passenger side, leaving a nice hole open where I have done ram air projects (and plan to do another updated one soon).

Thing I've found at sea level, unlike at high altitude in Mexico City, is if you ram that air straight in with a long pipe from the bumper to the intake manifold, you'll get check engine lights (P0171 lean errors) and the RPM will be off the wall. I have a new air intake design I plan to implement soon in my RX300 that should give me cool air, but without the issues I mentioned. Right now, I am looking at various materials to use in the design and trying to get the various pieces.
Old 08-14-10, 02:13 AM
action
Driver

any instruction as to where the hoses go? or just plug all hoses into watever hole? I just ordered this bad boy! Pix of the hose connections would be nice if you'd be so kind
Old 08-14-10, 06:29 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Comes with pics and an illustration. If I remember I will def. do it today.
Old 08-19-10, 10:34 PM
action
Driver

i just got mine installed today. holy took forever, even custom welding my datsun one didnt take this long. Quick question for you infinirx, on your intake, is the inner pipe (their patented design) on the cone side or the Throttle body side?

I assumed it's supposed to be on the cone side, but on mine, when i did that, the maf sensor would be reversed and my car wouldnt start because the airflow would be detected going the wrong direction. I had to flip the pipe, but when that happens the smaller inner pipe would be on the other side of the cone.... doesnt this defeat the purpose of their design? Im thinking mine is a defect and they put the inner pipe on the wrong end.......
Old 08-20-10, 01:28 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Wow I have NO idea! So sorry. I never had any problems after a computer reset. It started without a hitch. My buddy that installed it followed the directions but he does this stuff all the time. All the vacuum holes and the sensor need to be facing the engine not the wheel. Make sense?
Old 08-20-10, 02:17 AM
action
Driver

yes, the pipes all face the engine. I mean flipping the pipe end to end. The harness side of the Maf sensor has to face the firewall side, and not towards the engine. I over looked this and once finally catching it, the car started no problem. I didnt even have CEL. Sounds like a pig now haha. So much for the quiteness of lexus However my computer did instantly gain 50kms to the tank on cruising range haha.
Old 08-20-10, 10:36 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Nice! It's no turbo but is kind of a nice little pep to the snail.
Old 08-21-10, 08:41 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

It almost sounds like the put that inner piping on the wrong side, but I wouldn't expect that from the company.
Old 08-21-10, 01:49 PM
action
Driver

Originally Posted by veleno
It almost sounds like the put that inner piping on the wrong side, but I wouldn't expect that from the company.
yes thats what i thought too after i figured out whats wrong. I browsed some cross section pictures of the intake and in some it seemed the pipe ran the hole length of the intake while others only a small section in the front or back. not sure if this was designed to be like this. Infinirx if you can, would you be able to see which end of the intake your inner piping is? you can tell by the pop rivets on on the tube. is it on the TB side or the cone filter side. thnx
Old 08-21-10, 09:39 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

I am doing an oil change and spring install Sunday. I will check it out then
Old 08-21-10, 11:05 PM
action
Driver

go loooooow?
Old 08-22-10, 12:41 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Just R&R springs. There is nothing out there in springs that go very low at all. So I have to get what I can until I can get Air. If ever.
Old 08-22-10, 09:46 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Hope these pics help better. If not I will take some DSLR pics.

Quick Reply: Weapon-R intake review :)