RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

08 RX350 - Oil Filter Cover "welded" shut?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-10, 01:23 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

the breaker bar is your best bet.....good luck and let us know how it goes....
Old 07-16-10, 01:27 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by somnoboy
Thanks for your responses guys.

Txt: Did you damage the housing or the housing attach points (where the housing bolts to the crankcase) when you got it off with the breaker bar? My mechanic was afraid to use brute force in loosening the housing, because he said that he would stress/break the engine itself.

To all: Is there anyone who can answer this? Will I damage the engine/crankcase if I use a large breaker bar to literally force the cartridge housing open?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this. I love this car, and wouldn't want to damage it at all. On the other hand, I am fairly disgusted with the animal who overtightened this 5,000 miles ago.
Again physics rules. Under large enough force, something will give... either the threads will give (desired outcome), your wrench would give damaging the surfaces that is is mated with or the attach point to the engine.Although I cant vouch for it, but mostlikely the threads would give before the engine attachment [the engine attachment point did not break when it was tightened. Impact tools really help (if you can get the thing in there].
You can always take the vehicle back to the old mechanic or leave it with the dealer.

Salim
Old 07-16-10, 02:09 PM
txt
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the breaker bar and the 1/2 inch socket and the TOY640 tool to remove the large housing that held the paper filter.

When I turned the housing with breaker bar, I was worried that I would damage the oil crankcase.
So I made sure the TOY640 was snugly attached to the housing then I turned the breaker bar SLOWLY and used just enough force to overcome the resistance.

For me, the small 3/8 inch nut was easy to loosen.
If you had trouble with the 3/8 inch nut, maybe you could tighten the filter housing more so it won't spin and then use more force to get the 3/8 inch nut off.

Last edited by txt; 07-16-10 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-16-10, 02:12 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adamjeeps

I believe it's the main cartridge housing that we're wrestling with. The mechanic had the correct wrench/fitting, and it wasn't slipping. He had a good solid grip on the filter housing, but he was simply afraid to force it, for fear of damaging the engine and/or cartridge housing.
Old 07-16-10, 02:17 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default txt

txt: Thanks for the description of what you did. It was very helpful. Your post, unfortunately, was cut-off after "Make sure the..."

Could I trouble you to continue that thought? Much appreciated.
Old 07-16-10, 02:20 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default Salimshah

Thanks. I'm leaning towards having (begging, actually) my local guy to use the brute force/physics method. If he refuses for fear of breaking something, I'll bring it to the dealership. I don't think I will ever go back to the local shop that overtightened it 5,000 miles ago.
Old 07-16-10, 03:47 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is the DIY oil change procedure with PICTURES. The GS350 and RX350 are done the same way. The old spin off type oil filter went away, starting with the 2007 model year.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pictures.html
Old 07-16-10, 09:27 PM
action
Driver

i wonder if the old mechanic torqued on the filter HAHA. I always hand tighten my filters... they dont need to be that tight. make sure if you DIY oil change to lube the rubber seal on the opening of the filter before you screw it on though, I've had 1 occurrence where my friend's filter flew off while driving and spewed oil everywhere when he didnt do this....
Old 07-17-10, 10:44 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

I hope your mechanic didn't use WD40 as a penetrating solution. The two best penetrants, hands down, are Kroil and PB Blaster. Both are exceptional at creeping into threads whereas WD40 is half baked at it and even that is being generous. imo!

This isn't just my opinion but that found in many garages and restoration shops, especially those that deal with old bolts and screws that need to be removed in order to restore a classic vehicle.
Old 07-18-10, 03:10 AM
metal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by somnoboy
Thanks. I'm leaning towards having (begging, actually) my local guy to use the brute force/physics method. If he refuses for fear of breaking something, I'll bring it to the dealership. I don't think I will ever go back to the local shop that overtightened it 5,000 miles ago.
Just take the dang thing to Lexus...all fear goes away, IMO
Old 07-18-10, 06:00 AM
vg1134
Driver

use the breaker bar. the threads are the weakest point-which always gives first. dont be afraid of it.
Old 07-18-10, 08:08 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

ok.. i might be wrong.. but isn't the cap, plastic and the housing, metal?
if so, i would use force.. worse comes to worse, you would have to buy a new cap.. but cap shouldn't be too expensive.. the housing is probably the more expensive part..
Old 07-18-10, 08:09 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Default Do it hot

Try to break it loose while it is hot, that might help. Also, Kroils is great but I would do it at night, let it sit and then give it a go in the morning. Hope the threads aren't screwed up from putting it on crooked.

Your mechanic is responsible for this so it might also be a good idea to let him screw it up so he has to fix it, if he is honest and reputible that is.
Old 07-18-10, 08:56 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

U need the proper filter tool otherwise damage could happen. Tool is less then $10.
Old 07-18-10, 12:30 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 231 Posts

Ask him what filter wrench he's using.

Quick Reply: 08 RX350 - Oil Filter Cover "welded" shut?