RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

08 RX350 - Oil Filter Cover "welded" shut?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-10, 02:36 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Done. Thanks guys!

All: Mission Accomplished. Managed to get the cap off by way of brute force. Didn't break anything. Replaced filter with Toyota OEM filter, and refilled with 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30. Thanks for all the helpful tips from everyone here.

Totally stupid neophyte question: We drained the old oil out via the drain bolt on the crankcase. What is the point of the drain assembly on the filter cap itself? After reinstalling the filter cap (with new O-ring), we replaced the O-ring on the filler drain assembly as well. Seems to me to be just an unnecessarily complex assembly, as well as introducing another potential leak point...

Also, how much is the oil filter and gasket supposed to cost? I have a feeling that my local dealer shafted me, an obvious "retail" customer. Such is life, I suppose, but I'd like to know if I could get OEM filters online somewhere cheaper. Probably just a few bucks difference, but why pay more when you don't have to?
Old 07-18-10, 02:50 PM
ktranne
Rookie

CHEAP oem filter.
Old 07-18-10, 04:38 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Thanks for the link. I wonder how much these run at Sewell?
Old 07-18-10, 04:59 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by somnoboy
All: Mission Accomplished. Managed to get the cap off by way of brute force. Didn't break anything. Replaced filter with Toyota OEM filter, and refilled with 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30. Thanks for all the helpful tips from everyone here.

Totally stupid neophyte question: We drained the old oil out via the drain bolt on the crankcase. What is the point of the drain assembly on the filter cap itself? After reinstalling the filter cap (with new O-ring), we replaced the O-ring on the filler drain assembly as well. Seems to me to be just an unnecessarily complex assembly, as well as introducing another potential leak point...

Also, how much is the oil filter and gasket supposed to cost? I have a feeling that my local dealer shafted me, an obvious "retail" customer. Such is life, I suppose, but I'd like to know if I could get OEM filters online somewhere cheaper. Probably just a few bucks difference, but why pay more when you don't have to?
We have gone a full circle on filters. One piece filter and shell was an improvement as the service time got lot shorter. Now we are going back to throw away fiber and re-usable shell and the motivation is to recover as much oil as possible as well as minimize material waste (going greener). The drain point in the filter is to recover oil from it.

Also glad that threads are fine. Some mechanics do not replace the gasket and end up over tightening.

Salim
Old 07-19-10, 11:32 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You are "supposed" to use the filter drain first with the tube in the oil filter kit to drain the housing. Then, you remove the entire housing to change the filter with no spillage. My tube drain point is on so tight I couldn't loosen it and I didn't have time to fix it. No doubt the shade tree oil change shop was tightening the filter housing with this instead of the proper filter wrench. Next change I am going to get the tube drain loose and see if I like using it.
Old 07-19-10, 12:48 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 231 Posts

Like everyone said, that's what the little plastic attachment is for in the filter box. I used to always forget to use it and it would get messy. But if you drain the housing first, the filter comes out almost completely dry. Just make sure you don't overtighten that cap because it is very hard to break loose - I think you need a table vise to do it.
Old 07-19-10, 03:12 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default Replace RX 350 oil filter cover with GS 350 ???

Can the oil filter cover on the 08 RX 350 be replaced with the one piece filter cover of the GS 350? It's the same engine, isn't it? Is it the same filter element? If so, wouldn't replacing the 2 piece cover of the RX 350 with the 1 piece of the GS 350 be a simple solution? Would eliminate the hassle of the smaller drain tube o-ring, as well as reducing a potential leak point.

Why on earth Toyota would go the cartridge route ...??? I understand the "green" argument, but give me a break. The spin-on disposable filter would have been simplest, cheapest, most reliable, and therefore best.
Old 07-19-10, 04:01 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Can the oil filter cover on the 08 RX 350 be replaced with the one piece filter cover of the GS 350? It's the same engine, isn't it? Is it the same filter element? If so, wouldn't replacing the 2 piece cover of the RX 350 with the 1 piece of the GS 350 be a simple solution? Would eliminate the hassle of the smaller drain tube o-ring, as well as reducing a potential leak point.

Why on earth Toyota would go the cartridge route ...??? I understand the "green" argument, but give me a break. The spin-on disposable filter would have been simplest, cheapest, most reliable, and therefore best.
My guess is lower cost to the dealer and more profit since the price of an oil change never comes down.
Old 07-20-10, 12:19 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
My guess is lower cost to the dealer and more profit since the price of an oil change never comes down.
It also requires a special tool which could potentially cause people to give up and do it at the dealer.

But yeah, even though it's "greener" and supposedly less messy, there are way too many steps and it takes too long compared to a regular spin on. I would much rather pay the added cost than deal with the gaskets and draining procedure.
Old 07-20-10, 05:54 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The engine oil capacity is 6.5 qts with filter change.

As far as the filter change.I never use the drain,I just loosen the cannister bottom.A little messy but easier and faster.
I hate these filter cartridge elements.Spin on filters were so much easier and faster.
Even the new Camry I4 has the same set up.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-20-10 at 05:58 AM.
Old 01-08-12, 12:03 PM
billandgwe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The engine oil capacity is 6.5 qts with filter change.

As far as the filter change.I never use the drain,I just loosen the cannister bottom.A little messy but easier and faster.
I hate these filter cartridge elements.Spin on filters were so much easier and faster.
Even the new Camry I4 has the same set up.
I did a do it yourself oil change on the wife's 07 RX 350 yesterday. I tried to follow the posted instructions exactly. When I used my 3/8" ratchet to loosen and remove the filter drain cover the whole filter housing began to rotate. So I just loosened the filter housing enough to drain most of the oil from the housing. Then I just flipped the housing in my waste pan to completely drain it. I probably should have taken the time to go ahead and figure out how to loosen the housing drain cover and replace the O-ring. But I was in a hurry and just replaced the filter, tightened the filter housing and went on my way. I can't say for sure that my housing drain cover is frozen in place, but I do know that it is tighter than the filter housing it's self. I agree that the spin on filters are a whole lot easier to use.
Old 01-08-12, 01:30 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Toyota Express Lube is another alternative. No appointment necessary, 30 minute wait time and costs about $30. No mess no oil disposal problems. It is the way to go IMHO.
Old 01-08-12, 02:13 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Originally Posted by billandgwe
I did a do it yourself oil change on the wife's 07 RX 350 yesterday. I tried to follow the posted instructions exactly. When I used my 3/8" ratchet to loosen and remove the filter drain cover the whole filter housing began to rotate. So I just loosened the filter housing enough to drain most of the oil from the housing. Then I just flipped the housing in my waste pan to completely drain it. I probably should have taken the time to go ahead and figure out how to loosen the housing drain cover and replace the O-ring. But I was in a hurry and just replaced the filter, tightened the filter housing and went on my way. I can't say for sure that my housing drain cover is frozen in place, but I do know that it is tighter than the filter housing it's self. I agree that the spin on filters are a whole lot easier to use.
I always do my own oil changes on my ES 350(same engine), and it sounds like someone overtightened the drain cover. Mine was never that tight when new. Many people do skip the filter drain cover procedure anways, even though it is a cleaner job using it to drain oil from the filter.

Be careful taking it to Toyota for service. Many of them do not have the necessary information to verify the correct oil filter part# even though this same engine is used on many Toyota models. I know, they attempted to sell me the wrong filter for my car.
Old 01-08-12, 02:18 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Toyota Express Lube is another alternative. No appointment necessary, 30 minute wait time and costs about $30. No mess no oil disposal problems. It is the way to go IMHO.
I agree. Something I have recommended in the past to others who still wanted the dealer experience or comfort but with the advantage of a no appointment quick lube. Not all Toyota dealers have it, however, I see them more and more in my travels.
Old 01-08-12, 05:03 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

All about being green and less landfill. Hence the paper filter.

Quick Reply: 08 RX350 - Oil Filter Cover "welded" shut?