RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Black Headlights Picture Request

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 06:33 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Black Headlights Picture Request

I was having a look around the net and came across a picture I have seen previously of the gold WALD Lexus RX330. It has black headlights and I was curious as to whether anyone has black headlights, specifically on the Silver coloured cars. The WALD car looks fantastic and albeit that mine is stock I wondered what black would look like on my car. I have tried a bit of photo editing, but the colour differences I have on the WALD picture and mine makes it had to get an accurate idea of what it would look like during the day.

Does anyone have a picture of an RX330/350 with black headlights, and preferably a Silver car?
Old 08-08-10, 02:43 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those headlights are painted. Smoked out. Inside is still stock. It's very!! Cool!! But not very legal at all where I am Getting the special "JDM Spray paint" is not all that hard out here but I dunno about Au. Allot of fakes are out there as well with that paint.
Old 08-08-10, 08:46 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Are you referring to smoked headlights or painted headlights? If painted, all you do is bake them apart and spray the chrome part black before putting it back together. Not too hard to do
Old 08-08-10, 09:15 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

here is the car your talking about right? Smoked "Painted"...... I would highly speak against taking the headlights apart as once mistake in the oven and your gonna potentially really damage them.

PS: I am so ordering this kit in a month or so. The smoking will be the easy part. I just wont do the fronts.
Old 08-08-10, 09:18 PM
2soon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as long as you know what your doing or hire someone who knows what their doing, this is a great mod. I prefer to paint the inside vs tint the outside. The outside spray is prone to get swirls or fade.

D
Old 08-08-10, 09:22 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

That is indeed the car I was looking referring to. I even have it as one of my backdrops at the moment. As these are HID lights on the RX's, I assume then that you can spray everywhere as long as you don't touch any of the reflective surfaces.
Old 08-08-10, 09:34 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2soon
as long as you know what your doing or hire someone who knows what their doing, this is a great mod. I prefer to paint the inside vs tint the outside. The outside spray is prone to get swirls or fade.

D
Well it's a risk either way (DYI or shop). There are allot of shops that will say yes to doing it and not do it well. It's passable with police as well here. But I like the smoked better. It's classy, and easy to remove and re-spray. I might even buy an extra set of headlights so I can sue the smoked ones at shows.

It's a matter of personal taste and willingness to mod/spend $$

Draco I am not sure. I would be very careful inside there. Allot of things can and might very well break easy.

Last edited by infinirx; 08-08-10 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-08-10, 10:07 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

So what about a very light film over the outside of the headlight (not the black outs etc) but a very light tint. What sort of affect would that have with the headlights (guess you could only find out when driving)? Some of these thoughts are prompted by seeing later model RX's with a slight blue tint in the headlights and the Honda Odyssey with the not so pale blue lights.
Old 08-08-10, 10:31 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds cool. I have not seen the blue tint yet.
Old 08-08-10, 11:53 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Any tint you put on will affect the light output (think about what colors visible light is made of). Its also very easy to bake them apart. I've done it about 20 times to my ES housings and they look the same. I don't do the RX's since it looks fine as it is for bamboo pearl. You just can't be an idiot while doing it. The best option if you want to smoke or paint the chrome housing is to find a competent projector retrofitter in your area to do it for you
Old 08-09-10, 04:23 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

It's an easy Mod to mess up to for some one without experience or that are good with this kind of thing. I would just put out caution "again" before you do anything and have to buy a new headlight. If done right it's pretty simple. Just takes time and no rushing.

Tinting will of course effect how bright your lights will be. However if you have HID's It will still be pretty decent. So have you found out if it's legal where you are in AU? Some things out here are not "legal" but can be gotten away with.
Old 08-09-10, 06:22 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Hence why I said his best option is to find someone who is proficient at doing it
Old 08-09-10, 08:19 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The guy who is working on my retrofit(aka Littodevil ) can paint the housing for you to match what you are looking for.( His family owns both a high end professional body shop and a mechanic shop) However he is not cheap. He can even make real carbon fiber housing for your headlights. If you wish to see the quality of his work you can check out the quad projector retrofit he did on my Scion tC. I was thinking about doing a hint of black chrome on the housing, too.
Old 08-10-10, 06:42 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Seeing as I like the idea behind it (but probably illegal down here in Australia), I thought I would edit a couple of photos to see what it would like with a stock RX. Only one problem, now I have to get black headlights.........

WITHOUT BLACK HEADLIGHTS (& FOGS)

WITH BLACK HEADLIGHTS (& FOGS)

Old 08-10-10, 06:44 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Somehow it just changes the "dynamic" of the car from the front.

Quick Reply: Black Headlights Picture Request