RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 330 Help - too many problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-10, 06:30 PM
lexuskumar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 330 Help - too many problems ?

Hi All, I am new to the forum - please help or provide pointers if possible.

I own a 2006 Lexus RX330 with 81K miles on it. Bought it about 14 months back when it had 67K miles on it.

I have been hearing a humming sound from rear wheel while driving and its related to RPM, so increases with speed and so on. In addition also wanted the breaks to be checked. Went to Lexus dealer and here is what they told me.

- Front Brakes require pads and rotors to be changed - $755
- The rear wheel bearings needs to be changes - $1450
- The Power steering rack is leaking and needs to be replaces - $1450
- Additional service charges - $400

My concern is, this seems too high a price to own a Lexus.

What kind of quality Lexus provides when the bearings go bad so soon
(my friends have cars like Honda and Nissan with 150K-200k miles and still have original factory bearings, no replacement so far)

How come steering wheel rack needs replacement? Can Lexus quality be that bad ?

Can someone share similar experience. I want to understand that if the quality of car is so bad (I hate to say or admit that) or the dealer is taking me for a ride.

In addition the dealer also added the clause that the Car is not safe to drive. Any immediate response or helpful tips would be great.

Thanks !
Old 08-25-10, 07:04 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

This dealer must think your made of money.
$755 for brakes and rotors what is he/she smoking. If you lived closer to me, I'd be willing to do it for free. Parts should cost...well let's see. $60 brake pads, at most $150 total for both rotors. So that adds up to $210, that means he's charging you some $500 for labor...I'd like to give this dealership a call personally, and tell them to go.... (censored)

Is the rack really leaking...have you seen drops under your car? What's the level in the reservoir?

The quote for the rear wheel bearings is way too much, it's not that the quality is bad but it depends on how the car is used, you may have been kind and gentle to it while the other 67k was driven hard, and maybe the turns were taken too fast putting a strain on the bearings, or water got inside of them due to massive storm. You don't really know, there are many causes. You can get these replaced much cheaper by an independent shop.

Lexus quality is not bad, it seems as though your dealership well rather your stealership is taking advantage of a loyal customer.

Last edited by hypervish; 08-25-10 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-25-10, 07:05 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuskumar
Hi All, I am new to the forum - please help or provide pointers if possible.

I own a 2006 Lexus RX330 with 81K miles on it. Bought it about 14 months back when it had 67K miles on it.

I have been hearing a humming sound from rear wheel while driving and its related to RPM, so increases with speed and so on. In addition also wanted the breaks to be checked. Went to Lexus dealer and here is what they told me.

- Front Brakes require pads and rotors to be changed - $755
- The rear wheel bearings needs to be changes - $1450
- The Power steering rack is leaking and needs to be replaces - $1450
- Additional service charges - $400

My concern is, this seems too high a price to own a Lexus.

(my friends have cars like Honda and Nissan with 150K-200k miles and still have original factory bearings, no replacement so far)

How come steering wheel rack needs replacement? Can Lexus quality be that bad ?

Can someone share similar experience. I want to understand that if the quality of car is so bad (I hate to say or admit that) or the dealer is taking me for a ride.

In addition the dealer also added the clause that the Car is not safe to drive. Any immediate response or helpful tips would be great.

Thanks !
Front pads and rotors: Go to Toyota or independent shop, will be about half quoted Lexus price. The original Lexus pads are soft and wear quickly. If you are not getting pulsing brakes, no need to change rotors.

Rear bearings: Some here have had to replace. This would explain your humming sound. I would buy the bearings and have a shop put them in for me. Much cheaper this way.

Not heard much about a steering rack leak. Is the power steering fluid actually leaking.

What is the $400?

In general, these are very reliable vehicles, IMHO. There are close to 1,000,000 RX's in the U.S. and mostly only a small % come here to voice concerns. And Lexus charges these prices because enough people pay it to allow them to have "free" lounges and starbucks and loaners, etc...

Good luck
Old 08-25-10, 07:13 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus

Welcome To Club Lexus

The first rule of Club Lexus is never take your Lexus to the dealer unless its for warranty work.

I take mine to the local Toyota dealer. The cost is about 1/3. Oil change at Lexus 300. Toyota 90.

Welcome Aboard
Old 08-25-10, 07:59 PM
lexuskumar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
This dealer must think your made of money.
$755 for brakes and rotors what is he/she smoking. If you lived closer to me, I'd be willing to do it for free. Parts should cost...well let's see. $60 brake pads, at most $150 total for both rotors. So that adds up to $210, that means he's charging you some $500 for labor...I'd like to give this dealership a call personally, and tell them to go.... (censored)

Is the rack really leaking...have you seen drops under your car? What's the level in the reservoir?

The quote for the rear wheel bearings is way too much, it's not that the quality is bad but it depends on how the car is used, you may have been kind and gentle to it while the other 67k was driven hard, and maybe the turns were taken too fast putting a strain on the bearings, or water got inside of them due to massive storm. You don't really know, there are many causes. You can get these replaced much cheaper by an independent shop.

Lexus quality is not bad, it seems as though your dealership well rather your stealership is taking advantage of a loyal customer.
Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
Front pads and rotors: Go to Toyota or independent shop, will be about half quoted Lexus price. The original Lexus pads are soft and wear quickly. If you are not getting pulsing brakes, no need to change rotors.

Rear bearings: Some here have had to replace. This would explain your humming sound. I would buy the bearings and have a shop put them in for me. Much cheaper this way.

Not heard much about a steering rack leak. Is the power steering fluid actually leaking.

What is the $400?

In general, these are very reliable vehicles, IMHO. There are close to 1,000,000 RX's in the U.S. and mostly only a small % come here to voice concerns. And Lexus charges these prices because enough people pay it to allow them to have "free" lounges and starbucks and loaners, etc...

Good luck
Originally Posted by KeysRx300
Welcome To Club Lexus

The first rule of Club Lexus is never take your Lexus to the dealer unless its for warranty work.

I take mine to the local Toyota dealer. The cost is about 1/3. Oil change at Lexus 300. Toyota 90.

Welcome Aboard
Thanks everyone !!

honestly I was not ready to believe that Lexus product can be that bad when Nissan Altimas and Honda Acuras are giving such good value for money to their owners (my friends and colleagues).

I did had an apprehension about dealer and it only got confirmed here. I was planning to go to Midas (supposedly No.1 in North America for Breaks and mufflers work) for the break work and have bearing and Steering Rack checked if at all that is required.

Can someone suggest if it makes sense to go to Toyota rather than going to Midas ?

Adamjeeps: The $400 is for Alignment + Transmission Fluid Flush (recommended). I think dealership is just try to s***w me.

hypervish: No I do not see any drops under the car. I have not checked the reservoir yet. Just came back from dealership and posted my concerns here. Will check tomorrow morning.

One last suggestion/help required: Midas or Toyota for Brake work and others (Bearing/Steering rack)
Old 08-25-10, 08:27 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For brakes, If price was close, I would go with Yota as they have OEM stuff and work on exact same brakes on Highlanders.

A good tire shop can align for about $60. A tranny flush I've seen priced around $150 - $200 at various shops.

If the rack is defective are there any signs in the way the vehicle drives? If not, I might just check the fluid every month or so and top off if needed.
Old 08-25-10, 08:48 PM
lexuskumar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
For brakes, If price was close, I would go with Yota as they have OEM stuff and work on exact same brakes on Highlanders.

A good tire shop can align for about $60. A tranny flush I've seen priced around $150 - $200 at various shops.

If the rack is defective are there any signs in the way the vehicle drives? If not, I might just check the fluid every month or so and top off if needed.
Thanks !

I will check both Toyota and Midas tomorrow. There is no problems in driving or car handling, so I really doubt the Steering Rack needs replacement. Will work based on your advice.

Thanks a lot everyone !

any additional input/tip/experience is welcomed.
Old 08-25-10, 09:09 PM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

I am an avid DIY, and at the same time, I think the Lexus dealership here in Austin provides a superior service. They have earned my trust. For sure dealership labor cost is going to be high 10-20% above independent. Parts again are going to cost you a bit more than the warehouse. If I was going to make an estimate, it would be 20-25% cheaper if you go some where else.

Most of the time, the problem is when dealerships give you top of the line service ... like a brake job with new rotors, full purge, new pads vs bare minimum (replace pads). With the full blown repair, you would not be going back with any complaints, but with bare minimum you do run the risk of some problems as early as you drive out.

Next time some one gets a high estimate of repair, ask them to break it down into parts (and which parts) + labor. You will most likely find that if the indi shop does the same the cost will come closer.

I would stay away from midas etc. Develop a relationship with dealer/toyota/independent.

Salim
Old 08-29-10, 06:38 AM
vg1134
Driver

^^ correct. but the problem is paying for all that at once is what hurts the pocket.
Old 08-29-10, 10:33 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks everyone !!

honestly I was not ready to believe that Lexus product can be that bad when Nissan Altimas and Honda Acuras are giving such good value for money to their owners (my friends and colleagues).

I did had an apprehension about dealer and it only got confirmed here. I was planning to go to Midas (supposedly No.1 in North America for Breaks and mufflers work) for the break work and have bearing and Steering Rack checked if at all that is required.

Can someone suggest if it makes sense to go to Toyota rather than going to Midas ?

Adamjeeps: The $400 is for Alignment + Transmission Fluid Flush (recommended). I think dealership is just try to s***w me.

hypervish: No I do not see any drops under the car. I have not checked the reservoir yet. Just came back from dealership and posted my concerns here. Will check tomorrow morning.

One last suggestion/help required: Midas or Toyota for Brake work and others (Bearing/Steering rack)

I don't know where you are at in MA, but I would search for an independent shop that specializes in Toyota. You can save a lot of $$$$ and develop a rapport with them.

For example, the shop I use:
-Tranny fluid exchange using Type-IV fluid: $129
-4-Wheel alignment: $65
-New Mountain rotors and OEM pads: $350

I don't know about wheel bearings, but I can tell you this much, when we had our timing belt and water pump replaced, the prices were as follows:
--about $400 from the independent
--about $650 at the Toyota dealer
--Just over $1000 at the Lexus dealer.
Old 08-29-10, 06:06 PM
bagsbie
Driver

Which Lexus dealer is that? I don't really have experience with any service departments but for parts I go to Ira Lexus/Toyota. I DIY if I can or use a local indy mechanic that I trust for quality and reliability.
Old 08-30-10, 02:12 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I look at both Toyota and M1das for brakes about the same price and Midas told me that there would be more noise with their pads over OEM. Got 60k before had them change out $400 for front and back only turned rotors check rear wheel bearings and had them repacked in grease. Have oil change at Toyota $22 last week got oil at wall mart Mobile 1 for $ 22 5 qt. I change out AC and Air Filter get them online from a online Lexus store. Find New new Lexus dealer and never give this bozo any money
Old 08-30-10, 07:54 PM
racingt
Rookie

A buddy of mine has a 2005 Honda Civic, the right-front wheel bearing went out at 20K miles and 40 months after he bought the car, the dealer wouldn't warrranty it - what a crock!

Any car can have a problem...

As far as the prices given... You need to shop around.