RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

A question on ML system

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-10, 06:01 PM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question on ML system

Excuse the noobishness. I have a non ML system in my RX. I like the factory look and dont want to upgrade to one of the aftermarket systems as they ruin the aesthetic appearance. I like the V shape and the aftermarket doesnt have a headunit that follows that V contour. If you are still with me read below

I wonder what it would take to upgrade to the ML system. Is it a big upgrade over the premium system? I am an audiophile but I dont want to start spending on an aftermarket system as I wont be able to stop and I dont want to spend anymore than I have to lol.

Is it a viable option? Is the RX prewired for the ML or will it be an ordeal to do?
Old 09-02-10, 06:12 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

let's see 8 vs 11 speakers? Is it worth adding 3 speakers? Some folks aren't impressed by the ML system. There are DIN faceplates that allow you to add aftermarket stereo systems and maintain the factory finish.
Old 09-02-10, 07:06 PM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Originally Posted by redrocks
let's see 8 vs 11 speakers? Is it worth adding 3 speakers? Some folks aren't impressed by the ML system. There are DIN faceplates that allow you to add aftermarket stereo systems and maintain the factory finish.
Really. I didnt know about din faceplates thing. Im mostly into home stereo stuff. Not as versed on the car audio stuff. As for it being worth adding 3 factory guaranteed fit without spacers speakers then I thought it would have been cheaper than a full aftermarket setup. Ive never heard the ML system in an RX for a prolonged listen so I dont know if its worth it acoustically. Thanks for your imput. I will take your advice and look into the DIN faceplate.
Old 09-03-10, 05:05 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The ML system in my RX400h is OK, but nothing to write home about. It's definitely laking in bass, which is something others have complained about. Classical music sounds great on it, but anything bass oriented - not so much.
Old 09-03-10, 05:08 AM
MMS4MSU
Driver

You could always change the door speakers and make a dramatic change. 6x9 up front and 6 1/2 in the back. You'll have to make custom brackets for the speakers; the factory ones have plastic forms to bolt on. Not hard at all, I installed all Alpine and used wood for the brackets; thought wood would be better acoustically and vibration dampening. They made a dramatic difference and after handling the factory speakers you'll know why. I also installed a Alpine Nav head unit.

Last edited by MMS4MSU; 09-19-10 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-03-10, 05:27 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Surprisingly enough, the RX300 audio is fantastic and in some ways I would say it's better than the RX330 system. Try upgrading the amp.
Old 09-03-10, 05:37 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what you want to know about:

http://beatsonicusa.com/stereo/stere...-350-400h.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-L...Q5fAccessories

I had a loaner that didn't have the ML and it doesn't compare at all, not even close IMO. I have the ML and I think it sounds much better than the non ML version.

With that said, would I upgrade to the ML if I had a non ML system? My answer would be no. I can get even better sound going aftermarket with fewer speakers and careful speaker placement. It's not always about having the most expensive gear but rather getting a good install/placement of them. However, getting "better" gear never hurt anyone except your pockets!
Old 09-03-10, 08:20 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

I changed out the speakers and added kick panels, amps, subwoofers, clean sweep and soundlinq in my non-ML '04. Most of the stuff was hidden under the cargo area. It made for a clean install. I kept the stereo since it was integrated with nav/climate control.

I can definitely understand the 'don't know when to stop' part. All I wanted to do was get better speakers I have ML now in my 450h. Fortunately it's decent enough for me not to go crazy again. Good luck.
Old 09-04-10, 01:50 AM
ManXP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how bad/good is standard system, but ML isn't that good. My RX350 has ML system and I'm not impressed.

When compared to other 2 cars I had before (both cars had upgraded audio systems), ML is terrible. One of cars had upgraded Harman Kardon audio, and another one had "non-branded" system with VW logos (the car was VW Phaeton W12). Both of them were so much better than ML, so I don't think you should upgrade.
Old 09-04-10, 04:17 AM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Wow.. Thanks for all your opinions and the links. I will get cracking on this soon as i get some time. I will definately go aftermarket now. I like the wood bracket idea. I guess I can take a plastic bracket to a wood shop and have them make a replica in wood. Again thanks for the ideas.
Old 09-04-10, 06:27 AM
MMS4MSU
Driver

Making the bracket is easy if you have a jig saw and easier than you think. Take a piece of paper and cut a hole in the middle to fit mount side of the factory speaker. Drop the speaker in and out line the bracket plus blot holes. Cut the outline and now you have a template for two doors (one 6 1/2 and one 6x9). Your after market speakers will have a template for the speaker cut out. Mount the speaker and use clued THICK foam to make a surround to fill the door gap between the speaker and the door trim, this will also cut road noise and channel the beats :-)
I have pics I can post later, if you are interested.
Old 09-04-10, 10:38 AM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Originally Posted by MMS4MSU
Making the bracket is easy if you have a jig saw and easier than you think. Take a piece of paper and cut a hole in the middle to fit mount side of the factory speaker. Drop the speaker in and out line the bracket plus blot holes. Cut the outline and now you have a template for two doors (one 6 1/2 and one 6x9). Your after market speakers will have a template for the speaker cut out. Mount the speaker and use clued THICK foam to make a surround to fill the door gap between the speaker and the door trim, this will also cut road noise and channel the beats :-)
I have pics I can post later, if you are interested.

Oh please do post pics if you can. I'd really appreciate it. I could probably pick up a jigsaw to do this.
Old 09-06-10, 08:34 AM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

^no you won't
Old 09-06-10, 10:16 AM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2turbo4u
^no you won't
Hey Beetlejuice hows the chiclets hanging?
Old 09-19-10, 04:26 AM
MMS4MSU
Driver

Promised pictures...could not find them on the computer and thought they got deleted. They were taken with iphone so they are not SLR quality. Third one shows the foam surround.
Attached Thumbnails A question on ML system-img_0697.jpg   A question on ML system-img_0698.jpg   A question on ML system-img_0707.jpg  

Quick Reply: A question on ML system