RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Tire Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 06:23 PM
filmteknik
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Recomendations

...for my 2008 RX 350 with the 18" wheels that come with the Nav / etc. package. I bought it in spring 2008 and have about 45K miles on it.

Here's what's on there now:

Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 XSE
The size is 235 / 55 / R18.

I must say I am very disappointed that I'm already looking at tires...just a couple mm to go before the wear bars are even with the tread. Disappointed but not surprised since the tread depth never seemed that thick even when new. Maybe my perspective is warped but my last vehicle was a Grand Cherokee and I believe it had Goodyear Eagle GA's. If I am remembering correctly I got over 70K, replaced them in kind and got the same mileage on the 2nd set.

I have not included the spare in the rotations so I was thinking of buying 3 of the exact same tire -- I believe it's still made and using an old one as the spare. I know rubber does have a finite shelf life even unused but 2.5 years doesn't seem that old and it looks like it would only need to last about that much longer if these tires get such poor mileage.

The performance, handling, mpg, noise etc. on the Michelins is fine, not that I'm an extreme driver or anything. So if I get something else it should be at least as good. Naturally I wouldn't mind something less expensive if it was good...or as expensive if it lasted longer. But two hundred something a pop for 45-50K wear is not what I'm used to.

Steve
Old 10-08-10, 07:57 AM
Iqraam
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's is what I just bought for mine. So far so good. Got them at a good price plus Bridgestone is offering a $100 mail in rebate.
Old 10-08-10, 11:53 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Getting 40K-45K miles on your Michelin tires is about right. I got 40K on mine before they needed replaced and I also went with the Bridgestone Alenzas. Still, tires this size are not cheap. To get the combination of needed specifications, quiet ride, etc. you are going to pay. Not like there are too many vehicles that use this size either.

There are a number of threads here you should search on the topic of tires. This subject has been discussed to death.
Old 10-08-10, 11:59 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

BTW, a good place to start looking for tires is TireRack.com. Select your vehicle and tire size and it will allow you to see a very good selection of the tires and prices. There are also ratings and reviews.
Old 10-08-10, 01:32 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Don't forget the dealer. I got mine from them with a coupon for a free alignment. Any manufacturer's rebate will still be valid. And they turned out to be cheaper than the local tire store. Of course that will only apply to OE tires. Alenzas are not. I had them too, substantially less than the Michelins, and very good in the snow. Stay away from Goodyear!!
Old 10-08-10, 02:09 PM
watch37
Driver

I highly recommed tirerack.com for information, although the last 3 sets of tires I bought were from Sears after researching on tirerack. It seemed like on every occasion, the tires that were the best rated on tirerack were equal in price or even cheaper at Sears, when you factor in shipping costs and installation fees (and no, I don't work for Sears!) Plus, they routinely have coupons that knock the price down further, and at least at my Sears Automotive, you get free lifetime balance and tire rotation with your purchase.

My RX450h came with new Michelins, and they're great. I'm a big fan of Michelins, and recently had a new set of Exaltos put on my E320. However, I've had good experiences with Goodyear as well. I had Goodyear Fortera TripleTreds on my prior SUV, and I thought they were great. 80,000 mile warranty, and fantastic on wet/snowy roads. The downside is that they are the most expensive tires you can buy.
Old 10-08-10, 06:24 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I have 35,000 miles on my Alenzas and they measure 10/32 in tread depth. Michelin only comes with 9/32 when new. These tires wear very well, are quiet and handle much better than the Michelin or Goodyear OEM choices.
Old 10-08-10, 07:45 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Go with Michelin's or Bridgestone's, but do not make the mistake of buying "crapyear".
Old 10-11-10, 12:24 PM
espressoRX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put the Michelin Latitudes on my '04 a few weeks ago and loving them so far. They are super quiet and feel just right going over irregularities. Other reviews say they have great longevity also. We haven't had any significant rain yet but they've done fine on the wet curves so far. The true test for me will be when we get some snow on the ground and I head up my driveway. BTW: I had the Energy MXV4s prior to these and the Lats are quite an improvement in normal ride quality.
Old 10-17-10, 12:05 AM
helm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by filmteknik
...for my 2008 RX 350 with the 18" wheels that come with the Nav / etc. package. I bought it in spring 2008 and have about 45K miles on it.

Here's what's on there now:

Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 XSE
The size is 235 / 55 / R18.

I must say I am very disappointed that I'm already looking at tires...just a couple mm to go before the wear bars are even with the tread. Disappointed but not surprised since the tread depth never seemed that thick even when new. Maybe my perspective is warped but my last vehicle was a Grand Cherokee and I believe it had Goodyear Eagle GA's. If I am remembering correctly I got over 70K, replaced them in kind and got the same mileage on the 2nd set.

I have not included the spare in the rotations so I was thinking of buying 3 of the exact same tire -- I believe it's still made and using an old one as the spare. I know rubber does have a finite shelf life even unused but 2.5 years doesn't seem that old and it looks like it would only need to last about that much longer if these tires get such poor mileage.

The performance, handling, mpg, noise etc. on the Michelins is fine, not that I'm an extreme driver or anything. So if I get something else it should be at least as good. Naturally I wouldn't mind something less expensive if it was good...or as expensive if it lasted longer. But two hundred something a pop for 45-50K wear is not what I'm used to.

Steve
I agree with other sources on this thread suggesting that you check out the "tire rack.com" site.
If I were getting new tires for the size you state I would get:
Yokohama model: Parada Spec-X
Street/Sport Truck All Season
235/55 R18
$155.00

Check these tires out on the Tire rack rating review matrix. This is the #1 tire in the Street/Sport Truck All Season category. I would buy them if I were purchasing new tires as they have the "quietest" rating as well as a number of other top rankings.

One other recommendation I have would be:
Yokohama model: AVID ENVigor
High Performance All-Season
$147.00

This tire was also rated at the #1 tire in the high performance All-Season category
Old 10-18-10, 05:47 PM
AirJames
Rookie

Originally Posted by helm
I agree with other sources on this thread suggesting that you check out the "tire rack.com" site.
If I were getting new tires for the size you state I would get:
Yokohama model: Parada Spec-X
Street/Sport Truck All Season
235/55 R18
$155.00

Check these tires out on the Tire rack rating review matrix. This is the #1 tire in the Street/Sport Truck All Season category. I would buy them if I were purchasing new tires as they have the "quietest" rating as well as a number of other top rankings.

One other recommendation I have would be:
Yokohama model: AVID ENVigor
High Performance All-Season
$147.00

This tire was also rated at the #1 tire in the high performance All-Season category
I just ordered some Yokohama Parada Spec X 255/45/20's from tirerack(use ebates for extra % off + fatwallet for % off) ebates referral link. They are backordered for where I wanted them. I will let you know how they turn out.
Old 10-18-10, 06:10 PM
330black
Driver School Candidate

I highly recommed " factory recommended" tires, why? no noises, better gas millege, beter comfort!!!
Old 10-18-10, 06:21 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I just bought the Continental Extremecontact DWS (Ultra High Performance All-Season) for my 2006 RX400h. Gas mlage is about the same 26 to 27 MPG.
Old 10-18-10, 09:09 PM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow

Suggest you look into the Michelin Latitude since they are used on the latest generation RX. I test drove a new RX a few months back with the Latitude over the weekend and I was really surprised how quiet and not as firm on the Latitude as compared to the MXV4. The service advisor said they have heard good things on the Latitude and customers seem to like them a lot. Did talk with 2 RX owners who switched to Bridgestone Alenzas after their Energy MXV4 were worn out and they seemed to complain about the harsher and noisier ride. I don't have any personal experience with the Alenzas.

Go to COSTCO or Sams Club to get your tires since their prices are usually the cheapest in town unless you go to Tire Rack or Discount Tires.