RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2006 RX330 Passenger Door Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-10, 01:54 AM
rich001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this happen to my wife's 2002 ES300 front driver's door, it wouldn't open from inside or outside, this happened a few years ago. It was very frustrating at the time, she had to crawl in from the passengers door everytime. So I finally took a look at it by taking off the passenger's front door panel to see what I was dealing with, because it would be a mirror opposite of the drivers door actuator and linkages. Figured out it was the actuator assembly (which is sealed in a black hard plastic casing) and not the linkages. I was not going to drill a hole in either the outer metal door skin nor the interior leather door panel, also can't get to it through the B-pillar. So I took out the screw from the interior door handle opener and the other screws holding the door panel to the door. I realized that the door panel was NOT going to come off because in the shut position there is no way to pop off the clips as well as slide the panel up, because the panel sits flush with part of the dash as well as the B-pillar and lower running board. I knew that going in, I also ordered and received the actuator from Lexus prior to attempting this project (forgot the price), didn't want to attempt this and not have the part on hand to replace. OK, so after removing what I could from the driver's interior door panel, I rolled the window down and really pryed and pulled up on the upper part of the panel to gain a little more access to the window sill area. The panel popped off about an inch or so, just enough to see the actuator. Using a mini maglite, a very long flathead screwdriver and a hammer I started chipping away at the hard plastic shell of the actuator (use towels or rags to cover surrounding areas) I needed to break open the casing to get to the mechanism, it took some time to break open (be careful, I just scratched the window tint a little, no big deal). After breaking open the case, I fiddled with the mechanism, using the long screwdriver and something unlatched!!! Thank you!! Opened the door, took off the door panel (no damage to the interior door panel!), took off the plastic rain guard, took off the broken (and beat up) actuator (three screws from the side of door) and I believe the linkages (remember where they go, or look at the previously purchased actuator to see how things are attached). Test everything before you put the door panel back on (you can simulate closing the door with a screwdriver or rod to the side of the door where it would close). Double check and then reinstall your door panel. Hope this helps, patience is your friend!
Old 10-21-10, 08:25 AM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have asked 2 mechanic guys that told me it is not actuator related. I also sought out another paint/glass/stereo installation shop and they said that they might be able to take off the door with their door unlock toolkit (Don't really know how they do it). It sounds too good to be true. I don't know if i should trust a shop that isn't specialized in working with Lexus because the chance of breaking the door panel and window corners is very likely.
At this point, my only last option before going to a Lexus dealer is to find a good locksmith or a Lexus tech that can give me an opinion.

Follow up: locksmiths turn down opening stuck door(s). They say go visit the dealer.

Last edited by Nick318; 10-21-10 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-21-10, 12:23 PM
action
Driver

Originally Posted by Nick318
I have asked 2 mechanic guys that told me it is not actuator related. I also sought out another paint/glass/stereo installation shop and they said that they might be able to take off the door with their door unlock toolkit (Don't really know how they do it). It sounds too good to be true. I don't know if i should trust a shop that isn't specialized in working with Lexus because the chance of breaking the door panel and window corners is very likely.
At this point, my only last option before going to a Lexus dealer is to find a good locksmith or a Lexus tech that can give me an opinion.

Follow up: locksmiths turn down opening stuck door(s). They say go visit the dealer.
also try asking some body shops. the dealership wont be able to open it so they'll give it to a body shop to fix. Then charge you a premium ontop of the bodyshop's costs.
Old 10-21-10, 04:19 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Man, this is really not good. We all need to pitch in and find a solution for this. It can happen to any of us. Scary.
Old 10-22-10, 03:56 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

The solution is to drop it of at the dealer. That way any damage is their responsibility. Some things are DIY, I wouldn't call this a DIY for most of us.
Old 10-22-10, 05:48 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe there will be a recall for this too!! JK
Old 10-23-10, 07:11 AM
mandyfig

Have you called the dealer?
Old 10-23-10, 08:20 AM
Nick318
Driver

Yes, i did. I figured Lexus dealer would charge around 1K so I went to a Toyota dealer instead and they quoted me for $571. $249 for the door lock/latch with the wrong part that they'd order, part #69040-02120 (The correct part, i looked up online, should be part #69030-33261 Right Front Passenger Side) and $270 for 3-hr labor, plus tax. I told them the actuator is fine but I now realize the only way they open that door is to use a metal rod and hack it to open the door lock. Then, they're going to replace the lock actuator assembly.
I would prefer to buy the part( there isn't one cheaper than $200) and give it to a car mechanic at an established body shop who quoted me for about $100 if he can go in there.
However, it is a tough decision because I really want my like-new Lexus done right. The Toyota advisor reassured me that they've worked on a few toyota cars with similar problem in the recent past and never had damaged any door panel so it is up in the air right now. Pay twice as much at the dealer for that guaranty or the bodyshop mechanic guy...Hmmm.

Last edited by Nick318; 10-23-10 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-25-10, 01:41 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I would take it to a Toyota dealer. What are kind of "dealer vs mechanic" savings you looking at, couple hundred bucks? IMO not worth it.

If something goes wrong, I would rather deal with a world-wide corporation, then some trusted mom-and-pop corner shop.
Old 10-26-10, 07:10 PM
action
Driver

Originally Posted by arnieosp
I would take it to a Toyota dealer. What are kind of "dealer vs mechanic" savings you looking at, couple hundred bucks? IMO not worth it.

If something goes wrong, I would rather deal with a world-wide corporation, then some trusted mom-and-pop corner shop.
im assuming you dont know anyone that works a 'reputable' dealership My buddy is a senior mechanic at a BMW factory dealership and he tells me stories....
Old 10-26-10, 11:43 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by action
My buddy is a senior mechanic at a BMW factory dealership and he tells me stories....
And this is exactly why I would ....... (read my previous post)
Old 10-27-10, 10:03 AM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I vote dealer, only because of the guarantee(make sure you get something in writing if you can). It's a ****ty situation you're in and the last thing you need to be doing is spending money on someone that "maybe" can fix it. I know it's a big price difference but it's a huge gamble going to the autobody. Good luck!!!

I'm new here and it amazes me how you guys are so helpful, Props to you guys!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-10, 12:22 PM
mandyfig

Just putting some back when you have drawn out good stuff.
Old 10-27-10, 08:02 PM
action
Driver

Originally Posted by arnieosp
And this is exactly why I would ....... (read my previous post)
I'm saying a good indie mechanics is far superior to dealerships. In fact when i cant work on my own car, I always take it to my indie mechanic. He's far superior in skill, knowledge, and yes, better price than a factory dealership mechanic. Dealership services are not consistent, many times they really don't care about your car. Ever hear of BMW of doing scheduled oil changes without changed the oil filter? Happens a lot, especially under warranty, saves then money and makes your car more susceptible to breakdown when your warranty runs out. You also don't know who is working on your car at a dealership, could be a 3 year experienced mechanic or a 2 month out of school kid. With indie shops, you interact with the mechanic directly, not the reception girl.

The only benefit of a dealership is the warranty, when valid, and the specialization of your specific brand of car. This is no issue when you find a specialized indie mechanic. For the price of a mediocre unknown mechanic and some re-branded Castrol engine oil, I'd much rather have a close relationship with the person actually working on my car and be able to throw some Royal Purple into my engines.
Old 10-27-10, 08:58 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by action
I'm saying a good indie mechanics is far superior to dealerships. In fact when i cant work on my own car, I always take it to my indie mechanic. He's far superior in skill, knowledge, and yes, better price than a factory dealership mechanic. Dealership services are not consistent, many times they really don't care about your car. Ever hear of BMW of doing scheduled oil changes without changed the oil filter? Happens a lot, especially under warranty, saves then money and makes your car more susceptible to breakdown when your warranty runs out. You also don't know who is working on your car at a dealership, could be a 3 year experienced mechanic or a 2 month out of school kid. With indie shops, you interact with the mechanic directly, not the reception girl.

The only benefit of a dealership is the warranty, when valid, and the specialization of your specific brand of car. This is no issue when you find a specialized indie mechanic. For the price of a mediocre unknown mechanic and some re-branded Castrol engine oil, I'd much rather have a close relationship with the person actually working on my car and be able to throw some Royal Purple into my engines.
Everybody makes mistakes. With this particular job, my choice would be a Lexus dealer. If you independent mechanic damages the skin on the door, you will be screwed. If it happens at a dealership, they will try to make it right, if not, there are many layers of management and customer service reps at Lexus.

I guess, you and I will have to agree to disagree on this issue.

Quick Reply: 2006 RX330 Passenger Door Won't Open