RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 ride harsh

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-10, 07:00 PM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 ride harsh

Well I finally changed out the stock shocks and springs as they were riding pretty harshly imo. I put in brand new KYB struts and Eibach springs. Teh ride feels EXACTLY the same harsh way as the stock suspension it replaced. Harsh over broken pavement etc. I just dont get this Lexus. Ive driven LS, GS and the ride is very comfy. The RX feels almost as harsh as my dropped on coils 350z. I had it looked over by the Lexus Dealer and they said everything is fine. I just dont get how a Lexus could ride like this even after a strut and spring change.

Im interested to hear how some of you feel about your RX330's ride characteristics. Mine just doesnt soak up bumps. Im thinking bushings may be gone????
Old 10-31-10, 08:14 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERO5RX330
I just dont get this Lexus. Ive driven LS, GS and the ride is very comfy.
I really have no idea in the world what you could mean. Must have some retarded version than mine. My RX330 stock was soooooo cushy and smooth it was almost annoying. With lowering springs it got a bit harsh with the stock wheels. Now that I put much wider wheels my ride is much softer.

Could be your tires don't have enough air? Sheesh I dunno. I am perplexed to why this would be for you. Maybe your stock shocks were dead and when you replaced them you went to a more sport shock/spring combo (v are non linear and harsher than linear) so you did not feel allot of difference.
Old 10-31-10, 08:32 PM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Originally Posted by infinirx
I really have no idea in the world what you could mean. Must have some retarded version than mine. My RX330 stock was soooooo cushy and smooth it was almost annoying. With lowering springs it got a bit harsh with the stock wheels. Now that I put much wider wheels my ride is much softer.

Could be your tires don't have enough air? Sheesh I dunno. I am perplexed to why this would be for you. Maybe your stock shocks were dead and when you replaced them you went to a more sport shock/spring combo (v are non linear and harsher than linear) so you did not feel allot of difference.
LOL rub it in...Yeah I actually thought the same thing about bad stock shocks to sportier suspension but I have progressive springs which actually feel better than the stockers over minor bumps but medium bumps etc, especially washboard type roads it just takes a beating and really rides very harsh. Doesnt seem like the suspension soaks up anything but smooth road and minor bumps. Ill take it to another Lexus dealer and see if its the bushings or what not. So far Im beginning to hate this vehicle lol.

BTW 32psi of air at all times in tires. I may have to try rims and tires but dont want to spend money if its not going to fix the problem.
Old 10-31-10, 08:42 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

A really harsh ride might be from bad shocks as well. So going from bad shocks to sport shocks could be part of it. Look though your not a newbie to this and if at 32psi your having issues I dunno any more to what the problem could be.

Oh progressive is fine but they are linear so do not offer the same comfort as non linear.
Old 10-31-10, 09:07 PM
bmvee
Driver School Candidate

I can't believe how cushy my RX330 ride is. My other car is an SLK350 which is just a bit tighter When I drive the RX, I feel like I'm sitting in a lazy-boy! I was actually expecting the RX to be considerably rougher than it is.... in fact... for my taste... a bit stiffer would do.... that said, I'm grateful for the comfy ride. My RX is completely stock.

Sorry to read about your suspension blues... I hope you get it figured out to your satisfaction.

Cheers,
Old 11-01-10, 05:57 AM
phlfly
Driver

Lexus by definition has a soft ride. I have BMW, it has s a very sporty ride. My RX does almost completely silent on road broken pavement. Check your tires, it's more likely some cheap Japan/China tires.
Old 11-01-10, 06:30 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah I find my ride very plush and comfortable. Not really had any bad harsh rides even over bumpy roads. RX takes it in it's stride.
Old 11-01-10, 07:22 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

What tire`s and pressure are you running?
Old 11-01-10, 09:31 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Maybe tires are running too high pressure. Use 32.
Old 11-01-10, 09:32 AM
mandyfig

Or even 30 psi. What kind of rubbers do you have?
Old 11-01-10, 11:50 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

The OP wrote 32psi
Old 11-01-10, 12:22 PM
mandyfig

32 should be good. Wonder where it is coming from.
Old 11-01-10, 12:29 PM
Bluesjam
Rookie

Could be a hard tire sidewall, not letting the tire flex. Try a set of Michelin's.
Old 11-01-10, 12:40 PM
mandyfig

That's probably it. What does he have on now?
Old 11-01-10, 02:41 PM
votru
Lead Lap

Ran you hand over the tire to feel any wave or choppy on the tire that may cause by previous bad shock or camber wear/out of alignment. My sister RX experience this camber wear that cause noise and bad handling on the road. So we bought camber kits/bolts from Toyota/Lexus, new tires and re-alignment............run very smooth now.
Maybe not related but worth checking, keep us update since want to know what cause this problem also, thanks.

Quick Reply: RX330 ride harsh