RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Speaker Problem - searched high and low

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 01:43 AM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Speaker Problem - searched high and low

Hi,

I have searched for multiple terms and read something like 200 posts before i have written this so please no, 'Go and search' comments.

I have a 2004 Rx300 non-navi with ML. I am in Hong Kong and therefore this option trim is totally possible.

My passenger and driver speakers have started to rattle to the point where my passenger one sounds like i'm listening to an air traffic controller.

Does anyone know of any after market speakers that i can replace these with without any electrical changes (amps, crossover, etc)? I know a custom mount might be necessary and i know that for the GS the ML Sub has a drop-in JBL replacement.

Also, my spec says 11-speaker ML system but i am assuming that Lexus means that the rear passenger door speakers are composite and therefore count as 2.
Old 01-05-11, 04:45 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember reading about a member who replaced his speakers with a unit that had the same ohm rating (I think it was infinity or something like that) and it worked out great. You might want to check out http://www.madisound.com/ and browse to see if they have one with the same ohm rating as what is in your RX.
Old 01-05-11, 06:39 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

had problems trying to find the OHM rating as well for a 2004 RX300 with ML. i have read post on it being anywhere between 2 and 18 Ohms. i think that might be a difference like a tooth brush and a prius....
Old 01-05-11, 11:30 PM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

try www.Crutchfield.com

Salim
Old 01-05-11, 11:50 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

did that already....'We have not researched your car' is the response.
Old 01-06-11, 04:06 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Have you tried to remove the speakers and look at the backs of them to see if there is any information on them? I had my speakers out for a while and I think I saw some.
Old 01-06-11, 04:51 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Perhaps this thread may help:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...aker-size.html

Did you see this one before?
Old 01-06-11, 10:58 PM
JoeInHNL
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The front speakers are a 6 x 9, 8 ohm woofer. You are correct the rear door speakers are counted as two per doors.

I replaced mine with one of these, which are no longer available:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...20&FTR=297-305

I made an adapter out of medium density fiberboard (MDF).

If you go with an aftermarket speaker, make sure it is not too deep. The ML speaker is just over 3 inches deep. A deeper speaker could interfere with the window.

Another option is getting your speakers repaired. The usual failure mode is the cone ripping on the outside. Some guys have repaired them with RTV.

Edit: The above info is for a 2004 RX330, original post stated the car was a 2004 RX300 (not sure if that was a typo or not).

Aloha, Joe

Last edited by JoeInHNL; 01-06-11 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Clarify answer
Old 01-07-11, 02:42 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeInHNL
Edit: The above info is for a 2004 RX330, original post stated the car was a 2004 RX300 (not sure if that was a typo or not).
I remembered seeing a previous post of his stating he was from Hong Kong, so I just rolled with his statement. Figured he was posting to the right generation forum and that perhaps the Asian market (Japan, Hong Kong, Australia, etc.) version got a different engine but that the rest of the vehicle was similar other than perhaps right hand drive.
Old 01-09-11, 08:47 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Yup RX330inFL, i'm in hong kong and trim mentioned is a 2004 rx300. I'll try Joe's repairing solution but trying to get english across to a local audio tech here will be a challenge but i'm game.

Also i would approach local lexus dealership but it seems the first question they ask is, "We only do bareback and would you prefer spit or lube?" I've asked for the price of an oil change and they quoted me USD 300!!! considering i can get a full 50k service done (oil,filters,fluid,tran fluid, spark plug, fan belts) for USD 500 from non-dealer.
Old 01-16-11, 07:12 PM
Beneteau78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Consider repairing?

I just finished repairing my '04 RX330 passenger speaker. It was crackling. After finding out a single ML replacement speaker is approx $200 and searching many posts I decided to repair. Basically, the foam pulls away from the housing.

I took out the speaker and used a hot glue gun to put a bead of glue around the seam between the speaker foam and the housing. Glue was long set before I finished reinstalling the speaker and it sounds great. You can find posts on removing the door panel, it took me all of 10 mins to loosen up the door panel enough to remove the speaker. Whole job quite easy.
Old 01-16-11, 07:21 PM
jcastaneda
Pole Position

I had a buddy that had the rice paper effect and went to Best Buy and bought a pair of 6x9 Pioneer speakers. Not sure of the ohms but I ripped the OEM speakers gut out and used the plastic housing. I cut the terminal off the speaker wire and put on end connectors and attached to the new 6x9. The housing sat in the door panel perfect. Took all of 30 mins to install. Not sure what they have in over there as far as speakers but I am sure you can find something to that.

Resealing the speaker works just as good!
Old 09-10-12, 08:29 PM
KonkBob
Driver School Candidate

jcasteneda, could you explain that with more detail?
Old 09-10-12, 08:53 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Your best bet is Crutchfield for aftermarket. Try searching the website it is friendly.

Good customer service as well. From experience with a couple of projects where I replaced the head units. Includes all instructions and hardware.
Old 09-12-12, 02:45 PM
stevesxm
Rookie

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Your best bet is Crutchfield for aftermarket. Try searching the website it is friendly.

Good customer service as well. From experience with a couple of projects where I replaced the head units. Includes all instructions and hardware.
well... my speakers all sound horrible so this thread sort of caught my eye... and , in fact, you are correct... i had dealt with crutchfield in the past on home theatre and consumer electronics and found them to be no better than average over all and cost prohibitive for like items but in this case they have a wide variety of good speakers that are direct replacement for factory ( with their little adapter brackets ) that are competetively priced... 40 to 120 $ a pair as bolt ins w/ no mods required. how can you hate that ?

Quick Reply: Speaker Problem - searched high and low