RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Intake System

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 09:12 AM
Willie330
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intake System

Is the Weapon R Secret Air Intake system worth $208 to increase acceleration on my 2009 RX350?
Old 01-05-11, 09:53 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

wow,you mean the 3.5L motor isnt enough for you?? As for your question,I dont think any of that stuff is worth the money.
Old 01-05-11, 09:59 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

any intake on any car will at most add 3-4 horsepower.

you will not notice any difference in power til you add around 10 hp or more.

what the intake will do, is add more noise, adding to the placebo effect that you now have more power and have better acceleration.

the intake will also have a better flowing filter (IE K&N) which should not be used (i know this is controversal). thus if it lets more air through, by default it has to let more dirt through too.

so an intake will do nothing but add noise and let more dirt in.
Old 01-05-11, 10:12 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi
any intake on any car will at most add 3-4 horsepower.

you will not notice any difference in power til you add around 10 hp or more.

what the intake will do, is add more noise, adding to the placebo effect that you now have more power and have better acceleration.

the intake will also have a better flowing filter (IE K&N) which should not be used (i know this is controversal). thus if it lets more air through, by default it has to let more dirt through too.

Very well said!! I could not have explained it any better.
Old 01-05-11, 12:34 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been talked about and talked about soo much here. I would say lets not start another stupid debate since there is no real way to solve the argument unless you actually get the intake and use it. So here we go again....... Not every intake is created equally nor does every car get the same benefits from one. Some more than others (fact).

I am some one that likes to be shown something is true not just hear it is. My experience (I repeat), my personal daily real life, non thread, screenshot dyno or simple rumor experience is for the most part kiwi is correct. You will need more than an intake to feel much change is "power/torque". With my last car I had an intake, racing header, pulley and exhaust and that was "ok" but no super charger However, you will prob. feel a bit from this intake as I did on the low end when hitting the gas. Kind of fun, but not a Supercharger or Turbo if you want real power boosts.

The RX OEM intake is severely inhibits the airflow. It has three separate compartments and just seems useless. The intake allows the engine to breath and you gain a bit of power. Still all your gonna get from that intake is a little bit of low gear red/green light gusto. Even then it's choppy performance. Don't expect much more than that.

Dunno what kiwi is talking about with the dirt. This intake is covered and it's highly unlikely your gonna ever has issues there.
Old 01-05-11, 02:45 PM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

there was a thread about this a couple weeks ago and im pretty sure it got nowhere. For the most part all that's been said in here is true in a way. Performance wise will be minimal if any and what kiwi said hit the nail on the head, it's the noise these make that makes you think you're going faster. There could be a risk of dirt entering your engine because when I had one(almost 4 years ago) i had to spray some kind of oil on the filter after I cleaned it and from what I remember, the oil was to trap fine dust and debris. Honestly speaking Willie, I wouldn't add anything like this to your 09 rx because you've still got years of warranty left. They sound amazing but that's it, and if lexus found out i'm pretty sure they'll hassle you warranty wise.
Old 01-06-11, 04:16 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kiwi
thus if it lets more air through, by default it has to let more dirt through too.

I don't think this is completely true. Just because it allows more air to flow through it doesn't mean that dirt does as well. Do you think the OEM filter doesn't allow dirt to flow through it? While that statement might be true of the inferior intakes out there (ie: cheap taiwan/china made intakes), I don't think it applies to established and respected companies like HKS, K&N and the likes.