RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 RX 330 - 220k miles - and I'm in love?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-11, 04:30 PM
ripster
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy Monday is going to be a big day, as we are all wondering what will be next step and who will blink first. If the 07 I have keeps its value like that 2004 with those miles, I reconfigured and good trade in is 9300. I am sure they paid less, but don't blink too soon. Will be watching on Monday. I would let them stew on it for a couple of days.
Old 01-15-11, 06:11 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rainbird
With that $18875 credit line you could get a later model with much less miles. Just sayin...
It is not an $18875 credit line.. .THAT is what the CU is willing to finance on THIS vehicle. I am not interested in trying to finance that amount for a vehicle at this time.
Old 01-15-11, 06:12 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Bail. Go out and find a lower mileage, newer, model.
Easier said than done when one considers my goals and limitations.
Old 01-15-11, 06:23 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Our stalwarts here are starting to weasel because you are asking a very direct question; should I do it at X dollars. Nobody wants to be on record as giving you an unqualified hell yes because if the wheels falls off Tuesday they're afraid you'll be back here yelling and screaming about what a bunch of idiots we are.

In short, there's only one seat in the circus cannon...let us know what you do!

Last edited by Carver; 01-15-11 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-15-11, 06:37 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

Well let's try some less direct questions...

1) Do I bother calling this other mechanic recommended by the sales rep? Can't say I'd be inclined to use him (not that there is anything wrong with him but I'd never heard his name prior to the sales rep) as I have another mechanic that came recommended by my car guy uncle... so what would be the point?. Countervailing opinions welcome.

2) How much does one rely on the 'appraisals' of KBB, NADA, etc.? While they are reasonably consistent (for all that they use somewhat different terms in different places for condition, etc.), they still stick this car squarely in the $12-15K range for trade-in and wholesale. Debating how much the mileage should influence that (for example, KBB wants you to input the mileage and then turns around and says to call it poor condition if it has high miles which seems a double whammy but not necessarily wrong I suppose). If that is the case, then this starting price of $11,700 is low (and their willingness to come down to the 9s even a bit scarier since they must have access to the same info). Of course, if I follow those numbers then I should pay the nines, get the maintenance done and be as bright as a Spring peach.

3) Mechanic mentioned that the upcoming things to worry about would be stuff like the catalytic converter (which I cannot verify having ever been replaced, etc.) which could run upwards of $2000. Today sales rep says there is a new process to flush out a catalytic converter that makes them like new and at barely the cost... what is the truth there?

4) Repairs in general.. I've read alot on the board about repairs and the similarities to Toyotas, etc. So how do repairs run in comparison to the Toyota proper? If the reliability is comparable and the repairs not crazier.. then it makes sense as I won't be using the dealer as we're well out of warranty territory. I realize with all this fancy stuff, that I have plenty more that can go wrong...which of course doesn't compare to Toyota repairs when Toyotas don't have back up cameras for example.

I understand the difficulty in answering the direct question. Even without the direct question, the opinions on this are all over the place from it's worth $10k and you'll be happy to go buy something else with less miles to it's only worth it if you get it for a steal. If we consider that last one, what would be a steal? Seems to me, given the pricing and the appraisal range that this would be in that territory.

Oh and of course, I've never been in a vehicle that made me feel like that (and I've owned some good vehicles in my time include MB, convertible Mustang, etc.) - and of course, my fear is that the decision will ultimately be based on that alone if I am not careful.

Worst case scenario....? I buy the vehicle, have problems.. get them fixed and consider using it as a trade-in on another RX and probably see something close to what I have in it back?
Old 01-15-11, 07:03 PM
ripster
Rookie

Ok I will go out on a limb here, go to ebay motors and look at prices for 2004 Lexus RX330 all over the country for 16k with 83,000. My point here is that you have been bitten by the bug. There is more out there with three times the life left in them for just a few thousand more. You can still get what you want, stay under 18k and and save 120,000 or more miles. I love cars and engines and I have owned high mileage vehicles. Find one that has been well taken care of, they are out there, with 80-100k and you will still be thrilled, and have a whole bunch more life left. One of them is a buy in now
at 16500.00 with 83k. Whether or not the CU will finance it or you find that the dealership will go for your price. Go for something with more life. In the end you will be much happier a few days later. So there you have one. If you go look on ebay motors there are many 2004 RX3330 and you just have to do your due diligence and think about it... Road Trip!!!!!!!!! Seriously 230k is serious miles when you don't know how they were. Buy one at 83k and then slowly maintain it and then at 230k you won't mind, because you know the car. Just my 2 cents. So I say no, there are better out there. Nothing worse than a money pit after a purchase.
Old 01-15-11, 07:08 PM
ripster
Rookie

There is another one, loaded like yours, 90k asking 16195 buy it now price.
So you know that for just a few more, you own it for a longer time. Just giving you options, now you won't be able to sleep. Happens to me all the time.
Old 01-16-11, 12:57 PM
bufferdan
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-07...s#ht_540wt_939

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Engin...#ht_3545wt_939

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...s#ht_500wt_956

You could get ALOT of stuff replaced for $3K if you shop right... and thats to say if it ever went out... If you can get it for about $10k id say it would be worth it. That engine and trans could easily last 300k+ if its been taken care of and mostly highway miles on it.
Old 01-16-11, 01:03 PM
bufferdan
Driver

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 01-16-11, 02:30 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Earlier on, I second somebody else opinion to pass on that vehicle. However, it appears that you are already on it (mentally anyway), and that are ready to go for it, even thought you may not realize it just yet.
In that case, look at this as “What can you get for $XXXX you are willing to spend on that car (purchase and repair)?” If you don’t see anything close to it, go for it, make the best out of that deal and enjoy it.

I guess, if you buy it, than salesman suggestion to take that bad boy for weekend worked just fine. We all are just humans …
Old 01-16-11, 04:00 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

Apples and oranges tho. To find a vehicle that is on par with this one with less miles I'm in the 20K territory. I've found plenty that were FWD and lacked most of the upgrades (and you can ask how much I need them but the fact remains that you have to consider them in any comparison you make). Even so, they generally push me toward the $15K range which isn't the end of the world but more than I wanted to spend right now.
Old 01-16-11, 04:07 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
Earlier on, I second somebody else opinion to pass on that vehicle. However, it appears that you are already on it (mentally anyway), and that are ready to go for it, even thought you may not realize it just yet.
In that case, look at this as “What can you get for $XXXX you are willing to spend on that car (purchase and repair)?” If you don’t see anything close to it, go for it, make the best out of that deal and enjoy it.

I guess, if you buy it, than salesman suggestion to take that bad boy for weekend worked just fine. We all are just humans …
That proposition is what got me into this mess. I didn't have a hard number in mind but I didn't really wanna go much over $10K without good reason (or unbelievable financing or something). That is how I ended up looking at mini-vans as a compromise. Problem there,... while they may not have had quite the miles this RX has, they generally had plenty of miles on vehicles that generally couldn't claim an expected life of 300K miles AND they had been hard miles if the interior was anything to judge by (and yes, I know that it isn't always). As it was, a mini-van (front wheel drive) was a compromise as I needed the space but really wanted 4wd - just couldn't manage it all and enough space for the afore discussed BF's height.

For 10K I could find other small SUVs without the miles but BF didn't fit. So I gave up on small SUVs. Larger SUVs would eat me up in fuel. Then I saw this RX sitting next to the mini-van and some vague piece of information floated into my cerebrum that high end makes were often boasted more interior room than others... sigh.

Ironically, bf tried to talk me out of it early on. The puppy dog close did him in... we road around in it for a couple days and when I came back from dropping it off (he had something else he needed to do so he didn't join me on that trip) he was disappointed that I'd not made a deal.

I still find the sales reps behavior a bit surprising. What do ya'll think? Short of grabbing him by the lapels (no he wasn't in a suit) and yelling, "I want it... PLEASE let me have it." I thought I'd given signals that I was interested in talking about it... but he let me leave and talked about how they get other Lexi from time to time and I should keep an eye on their lot. Oh and he tried to sell me on a Lexus sedan he had and I had to point out that my interest wasn't because it was a Lexus, per se (though I fear such a statement on this forum is sacrilege).

Then again, maybe he's reading this forum and decided to help Carver in his efforts to add a dramatic cliffhanger for the weekend?

Last edited by VAttorney; 01-18-11 at 03:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-16-11, 04:24 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I told you three pages ago to not jack around waiting for them to control the sale, decide what you want to pay (under 10?) make the offer and get on with it. He may not be pushing because if they can't retail it maybe some employee wants to nab it for cost, you never know.

At any rate, I would make my move now if that's what you want to do. It's time!
Old 01-16-11, 05:21 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Carver hit it on the head. They want you to come up with a price they're willing to sell the RX at, not the price you want to pay. Use your sales background and close the deal. Good luck.
Old 01-16-11, 06:17 PM
bufferdan
Driver

I myself would much rather have a car in exceptional shape inside and out with 220k than one with less miles and worse shape. Miles dont worry me SO much as does the overall condition. Im also a mechanic and do all my own repairs from changing oil to replacing a engine/trans. You see cars, yes even lexus's with 50k miles that are ragged out all the time on car lots. If you have problem down the road then shop around smartly for parts and fix them... Like the links i showed you, alot can be replaced for 3k. I bought our 01' RX with 180k for $4500 and so far so good with it. The funny thing about rx330 and the 300 is the major parts (engine/trans) are more expensive for the 300. More demand?

Quick Reply: 2004 RX 330 - 220k miles - and I'm in love?