RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Wife hit a retread in the road.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 11:23 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wife hit a retread in the road.

Yup, just as the title says. Last Thursday my wife ran over a Retread from a semi (Women drivers FTL). It sheered off some protective cover underneath maybe something covering hybrid components. The next day her CEL appeared in the dash. Not sure if it's coinsidence but the codes were 1426 and 1407 if I remember correctly. I called Performance Lexus in Cincinnati and they were extremely helpful and suggested I put some lithium grease on the gas cap and make sure it was tight if it came back on I'd need to bring it in for futher testing. So I clear the code and sure enough the gas cap was loose. I tighten till it clicked. I thought I was out of the clear, then the code reappeared the next day.

So I called Performance again, and like always the service advisor was extremely helpful. They offered me a loaner car without me asking. I'm scheduled to drop the car off on Friday A.M. However, I'm worried, I'm wondering what could be damaged. I keep thinking I'm going to get a $1,000 bill. If that's the case you think it would be covered under comprehensive auto insurance?
I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 01-12-11, 12:26 PM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear about the RX, but just be glad she never got in an accident trying to swerve out of the way. Hope the news is good from the dealer.
Old 01-12-11, 02:14 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed, it's good no one was hurt and no accident happened. Unfortunately it's really difficult to determine anything at all until the service department looks at it. It's such a general, random event and so many things could be going on. I gather however it's some loose cable or sensor issue or maybe even your condenser was damaged like mine was from a rock on the road. I know from experience that pieces of tire on the highway can be very random and damaging. Happened to me twice one one of my cars and both times I had extensive bumper damage.

Last edited by infinirx; 01-12-11 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-12-11, 03:41 PM
harveybrod
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's not blame retreads until we have the facts

Although I am sympathetic to the concern of any motorist who encounters a road alligator (tire debris) on the highway, especially when it results in a costly repair, nevertheless it is important to understand that much of the tire debris on our highways comes from tires that have NEVER been retreaded. There is ample evidence to back up my statement, including a recent NHTSA study.

The main causes of tire debris are underinflation, overloading, mismatching of tires on dual wheel positions, improper tire repairs, misaligned vehicles and tires with less than the legal limit of tread remaining.

Tires that are improperly maintained WILL fail, given enough time and when they do they will throw pieces of tire debris all over the highway. And it doesn't matter if the tire was a retread or one that had never been in a retread factory.

To blame a retread for tire debris is the same as blaming a Lexus for an accident caused by a drunk driver. The blame is simply misplaced.

Anyone wanting more information about the true causes of tire debris on our highways can call me at 831-646-5269 or send an email to harvey@retreadtire.org.

Harvey Brodsky
Managing Director
Retread Tire Association
www.retreadtire.org
Old 01-12-11, 10:22 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kind of overkill there Harveybrod. Either way it was tire tread yes? I don't think it matters more than the fact damage was done. Hehe however I did update my post to "pieces of tire on the highway" to be more proper as to the title of "retread" seems improper.

I understand your need to make sure people are not mislead and do not buy your product as well.
Old 01-13-11, 12:18 AM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

did anyone else read this as 'My wife hit a retard on the road?'
Old 01-13-11, 03:39 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by RuninRoach
did anyone else read this as 'My wife hit a retard on the road?'
I did, but didn't want to bring that up...lol
Old 01-13-11, 04:00 AM
ripster
Rookie

I have to reply or post 30 times within 30 days now to be a real citizen of this board or I do not have all the rights. I was trying to read, become knowledgeable, use the search feature, not post superfulous fluff and now I have to post even when I don't have anything to say. Been a member of many forums, there are other ways to beat the spammers, not beat up members who would pay a fee to support the board. Sorry for hijacking the thread, never have done that before, but here is post 1 of 30 to satisfy the board rules.

I would check with insurance, it may come under comprehensive, like hitting a deer in michigan is not considered a collision and smaller deductibles apply and is not considered an at fault accident.

Last edited by ripster; 01-13-11 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-15-11, 09:25 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dropped off the car yesterday and was given a 2010 RX350 chic blue. First time driving the new RX and I like the new improvements over the old model. We're actually considering maybe upgrading in a year or so.

Bad news, my Service advisor called and said our car had several trouble codes and after investigation they found the purge valve for the evap cannsiter was damage. That runs $900. I'm thinking, ok, that's not the greatest news but it could be worst. So she's telling how they will start there and if for some reason that doesn't fix the CEL they would have to replace the EVAP cannister as well which cost $1,100. So I could be walking out the door with a $2,300 bill. They also said from the looks, it seem the car was in some type of accident for that to happen, so I mention the retread incident and they said that's quite a possibility that could've happened from a retread.

I call my insurance company and they said that would fall under Collision, not comprehensive, I tried to explain how this was an object in the road and animals fall under comprehensive but she said it would be Collision since it was underbody damage and would be considered an 'at-fault' accident. So I just decided it may be cheaper to pay the higher rates and let them take care of it. So an adjuster is going to the dealership next week.

The story I got from my wife was traffic was flowing around 45mph, she was behind a semi and wasn't sure if it came off his truck but it flew slightly in the air and if she'd be following closer it would've struck the car. So either he brakes hard and risk getting rear ended or swerves with cars next to hear and possibly causing an accident so she just ran over it.

Harvey-She's telling me it's a full size tire so I dunno. I assumed retread since I see those most common in the road and I felt tire would do a lot more damage.
Old 01-15-11, 09:54 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Sorry to hear about the misfortune. Road debris seem to be more prevalent these days now that the govt is cutting down on services and road cleaning is affected, from my observation.
Old 01-15-11, 10:01 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I looked up "Comprehensive" on my auto club policy. It covers: Direct and accidental damage caused by missiles, falling objects, fire, theft, explosion, earthquake, windstorm, hail, water, flood, malicious mischief, vandalism, riot or civil commotion or breaking of glass.

Caused by missiles seems to fit. Look over the fine print of your policy, this policy language should be universal within the industry.
Old 01-15-11, 10:03 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

^^Plus 2. It should fall under COMP. Check it out. Better yet call your Agent.
Old 01-15-11, 03:42 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Sorry to hear about the misfortune. Road debris seem to be more prevalent these days now that the govt is cutting down on services and road cleaning is affected, from my observation.
And, more trucks running their tires long past their lifespan. Have seen some truly scary tires on some of the trucks on the road of late. Little to no tread, cords showing, etc.
Old 01-15-11, 04:18 PM
ripster
Rookie

Need to change insurance agency or carrier, as I checked with mine and it would be comprehensive.