RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Front Number Plate Holder

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-11, 06:51 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

eyezack that is a very handy idea. Next thing I have to figure out is how to get the plate screwed to the bumper without falling over and then I'm set. If you'll notice in the first picture of the close up of where the plate is mounted, the upper middle holes actually have a thread clip that sits in the actual holder. The threadclip is to big to fit in the actual holes that the plate holder leaves. I have to find a solution to how to mount the plate now.
Old 02-23-11, 06:57 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Good idea on the temp bumper hole plug!
Old 02-23-11, 11:37 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
eyezack that is a very handy idea. Next thing I have to figure out is how to get the plate screwed to the bumper without falling over and then I'm set. If you'll notice in the first picture of the close up of where the plate is mounted, the upper middle holes actually have a thread clip that sits in the actual holder. The threadclip is to big to fit in the actual holes that the plate holder leaves. I have to find a solution to how to mount the plate now.
Hmm, I'm not sure how your plates differ from our stateside ones but you might be able to get a bracket that can enable you to "hide" the giant holes in the middle. For instance, I have this bracket:
http://www.amazon.com/Cruiser-Access.../dp/B00032K4TW
and I got some bolts/washers so I can move it up/down the track as well as from side to side. My idea is to mount it so it hides the middle and just use the bumper plugs for the outer most holes. The bracket by itself doesn't look half bad if I'm honest but this could be a viable option for you
Originally Posted by mandyfig
Good idea on the temp bumper hole plug!
Yeah, its one of those things you find "OEM" online for a crazy price but its rather easy to do haha
Old 02-24-11, 12:51 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

eyezack have you got a picture of the bracket installed and also what the dimensions for it are? I would like to see what the measurements are when applied to the measurements of the holes that are in the bumper.

Completely agree with the hole plugs. That is a great idea.
Old 02-24-11, 01:34 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

eyezack have you got a picture of the bracket installed and also what the dimensions for it are? I would like to see what the measurements are when applied to the measurements of the holes that are in the bumper.

Completely agree with the hole plugs. That is a great idea.
Sure, this is an old picture but it shows it in the best light. Position of the plate is somewhere in the middle, hence why you see part of the bracket

As for the dimensions, I'll have to grab those for you sometime this weekend since I'm guessing you want me to measure the distance between the mounting holes. Its midterms week for me
Old 02-24-11, 05:27 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the pic eyezak. The distance measured between the mounting holes would be great. Not sure how this would compare with an RX though. Incidentally very nice clean looking Camry you have there.

I have had an idea after doing some research in some various forums last night, that might be able to let me get away with out purchasing a frame.
Old 02-24-11, 07:37 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

eyezak, that is a very sharp look car. The paint on it is just marvelous. What is the secret?
Old 02-25-11, 12:47 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the pic eyezak. The distance measured between the mounting holes would be great. Not sure how this would compare with an RX though. Incidentally very nice clean looking Camry you have there.

I have had an idea after doing some research in some various forums last night, that might be able to let me get away with out purchasing a frame.
I'll grab those for you this weekend. Thanks! Its much different now. My sig pic is similar to how it is but I haven't done a proper photo in a while
Originally Posted by rx400h1976
eyezak, that is a very sharp look car. The paint on it is just marvelous. What is the secret?
Thanks! I'm a hobby/professional detailer
Old 02-26-11, 03:54 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Wow that is huge! It is fugly. Wonder why they did that for your application.
Euro plate adapter, not sure why they didn't make one a tad shorter for the Australian market/plates...
Old 02-26-11, 07:07 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

I had some time to play with this on the weekend and designed a very simple bracket to hopefully replace the "fugly" license plate holder that the Australia delivered RX's recieved. This would of course all hinge on how well the bumper has held up underneath the holder.

Removed the license plate holder and gave the area a quick wash down with some car wash and water. Amazingly it came out quick nice. No sign of the scratches from earlier in the post (and if they are there, not noticable at all). There is a slight outline of where it used to sit, but I think a polish should pretty much get rid of that.

So with this proving to be very clean, I went ahead and constructed my bracket for my license plate. Given that I did not want to have the license plate protruding too far out from the bumper, I tried to build it as close as I could to the bumper. Given that the type of brack I envisaged was not something available in the hardware store, I bought the following components (no more than $7).

5 * Galvanised Flat Make-Your-Own-Bracket 20 * 200mm (these you can split into numerous brackets and make you own shapes).
1 * packet of 4mm Bolts
1 * packet of 4mm nuts

After playing with the idea for a while, I realised that the brackets themselves and the holes on the license plate were not going to necessarily fit where I needed to. So I extended the bracket on the right hand side to use the end screw point of the license plate (rather than the centre hole). One part of the license plate is screwed on to 1 centre hole, the other at the end of the license plate. Hopefully the following will illustrate what I am trying to say.

Here you can see the centre screw for the left side of the license plate, and the screw on the far right for that side of the license plate.

Now I know that the metal behind the plate can be seen just peaking out, but I did last week buy a license plate cover and installed this over the top and pretty much it hides everything.

So here are some pictures of my RX with my new license plate holder. Took it for a drive over bumps and general driving and it is all stable.

All I have left to do now is come up with a solution for those 2 small holes that have been left over. I did have a look at the hardware store, and couldn't find anything yet that will fit these holes.

The car looks so much cleaner with that factory fugly bracket and I am glad that I did this "mod".
Old 02-26-11, 10:32 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Innovation is key. Good job

Rather unfortunate you couldn't find the nylon plugs to use though
Old 02-26-11, 11:20 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks eyezack. I haven't given up looking just yet. I will hunt around for something to fill the gap. I do have some spare paint lying around somewhere that I will be able to paint the plugs with to blend in with the rest of the bumper.