RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Power Rear Hatch - Cutting that Beep Volume in Half

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 09:15 PM
Zoolander
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know. I have never liked announcing to the neighborhood when our hatch was opening or closing.
Old 08-23-19, 12:03 PM
Wildcat58
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 RX350 similar action to disable liftgate beeper

Originally Posted by draco
I was busy playing with my license plate lights over the weekend and came across how to reduce the beep volume when opening the rear hatch when using the remote or indash power door button. I'm not sure if this has been discovered before but thought I would post in case no one knows about it.

I have done this mod on my car and I haven't had any adverse effects and everything works perfectlyfine (no new lights, errors or anything else). It doesn't get rid of the noise, but it does reduce it down to the same volume as when you unlock/lock your car.
  1. Open your rear power door
  2. Carefully pry away the bottom section of the interior panel of the rear door (this will be the side furthest away from the rear window glass). The trim is held in place by plastic clips that will pop out. A gentle but firm tug will remove the first one and the rest will just follow as you work your way around.
  3. Once this is open look on the end side of the door
  4. You will notice a black box with one end being rounded
  5. There will be a plug that fits into this. Remove the plug and stow away. I stowed mine back behind the part of the loom it extends from to keep it out the way

6. Put the trim back and enjoy that annoying beep now being a lot quieter.

The rest of the beep is at the front of the car and looks to hide somewhere underneath the shroud of the wiper blades where the front struts sit. It looks to be from the same area as the speaker for the alarm, so probably won't be able to completely kill the noise.

Because it's kinda mandatory these days, I have done this mod for my car and have not had any issues. You do this mod at your own risk and I nor anyone else on the forum can be held liable for any damage you do to your car or your person or anything or anyone else around you.

Following the above guide, I found a single-purpose module for the liftgate sound, which unplugs. Wrapped the wire around the harness it was part of, tested for that annoying sound (with gate open, started engine, and shifted to "D". Fatime! No sounds!! Now I can haul extra-length or larger items without the tailgate being fully closed. A couple of tie down straps and we're off!
The following users liked this post:
KMB (08-26-19)
Old 08-26-19, 10:19 AM
KMB
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildcat58
A couple of tie down straps and we're off!
Nice! I'll have to do this. Previously, I just wrapped mine in foam insulation and duct tape to reduce the volume to a less painful level, but I didn't consider unplugging the little demon screecher entirely. Will do that next...
Old 10-10-19, 08:30 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mic575
JLPV - please do post whether this solves the hauling with the rear hatch open issue. Very interested.
This simple hauling with the rear hatch open fixing has worked with both my LXs. Maybe it will woark for you.

I open the door normally. Then I take a short piece of 3/8 inch diameter metal - I use a piece cut from an old eyebolt - and gently push it into the latch. That fools the hatch into thinking it is being closed, and it grabs the metal piece. Now the electronics believe the rear hatch is closed and latched down, and you can drive without any warning lights, buzzers, chimes, or alarms. When done, press the open hatch button, and the door spits out the metal piece.

I have hauled 16 foot long fence boards, with one end resting on the dash, and the last 6 Feet hanging out the back.