RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

09 RX 350 oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-11, 11:40 AM
SK3474
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 RX 350 oil change

OK, or should I even continue with my flirtation with changing the oil in mine? Anyone actually done one without cursing? I'll be the first to admit, I've never done one. Ever. But I'm willing to attempt it based on the amount of instruction I can gather on here....None of you will be held responsible if I blow my car up
Old 04-09-11, 12:31 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you decide not to do it yourself, at least take it to the Toyota dealer, unless you want to pay double at Lexus.
Old 04-09-11, 12:39 PM
Haunches
Rookie

If you've never, EVER changed the oil yourself why not have someone who is knowledgeable show you directly instead of relying on a forum. If you have no one to show you directly take it to a Toyota Dealer as mentioned.
Old 04-09-11, 12:58 PM
SK3474
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks!

Actually, both of those are excellent suggestions....it really wasn't a frustration at the the money, although they are pricey at Lexus for what they are...it is more of a sense of really wanting to accomplish it myself. I'll see if I can get someone qualified to show me and then may decide to just accomplish baking a cake or something
Old 04-09-11, 01:29 PM
felixdang
Driver

YouTube it
Old 04-09-11, 01:55 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a DIY oil change procedure with PICTURES. The GS350 and RX350 are done the same way. The old spin off type oil filter went away with the 2007 model year.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pictures.html
Old 04-09-11, 06:33 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 23 Posts

SK, YouTube it and you will find it is very simple.

A couple of things with the Lexus RX330 models - The under side of the vehicle is covered with plastic shielding which you have to remove (about 12 - 10 MM bolts or so). Once those are removed, you can remove the drain plug and remove the oil. The filter is easy to reach and is located towards the front of the engine just to the right of center. I would recommend having a filter wrench or filter pliers handy in case the filter is not just hand tight (which it should be). DO NOT COMPLETELY REMOVE the filter at first...unscrew it slightly until you see a stream of oil come down through the oil path built in beneath the filter. once the oil stops dripping then remove the filter and place in your drain pan.

Make sure and dab oil on the new rubber gaskit on the new filter before putting it on and you are good to go. The RX330 takes about 4.4 quarts or so.
Old 04-09-11, 07:05 PM
Rainbird

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
SK, YouTube it and you will find it is very simple.

A couple of things with the Lexus RX330 models - The under side of the vehicle is covered with plastic shielding which you have to remove (about 12 - 10 MM bolts or so). Once those are removed, you can remove the drain plug and remove the oil. The filter is easy to reach and is located towards the front of the engine just to the right of center. I would recommend having a filter wrench or filter pliers handy in case the filter is not just hand tight (which it should be). DO NOT COMPLETELY REMOVE the filter at first...unscrew it slightly until you see a stream of oil come down through the oil path built in beneath the filter. once the oil stops dripping then remove the filter and place in your drain pan.

Make sure and dab oil on the new rubber gaskit on the new filter before putting it on and you are good to go. The RX330 takes about 4.4 quarts or so.
The RP doesn't have a RX330 model. He has the 2009 RX350. The oil change procedure is totally different between these Lexus models. Follow the oil change procedure I outlined in the post above. The same oil change procedure is used for the 2007 - 2011 Lexus RX350 as well as most other Toyota vehicles from 2007 to present.
Old 04-10-11, 07:05 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It is not about money for doing it myself. It about the time and trust. I can change my oil and filter in about 20 minutes. I can do it anytime even at the night in the garage. If you go anywhere, you have to drive there and wait and drive back. Further you don't know what they put in to your car for oil and oil filter unless you buy it and bring it with you.

But it does need some learning and confident in dealing with mechnical stuff. To me it was worth the effort.
Old 04-10-11, 08:04 AM
Rainbird

If you have a vehicle still under factory warranty and decide to DIY your oil change or as Lexus calls it "minor maintenance" be sure to keep all receipts. Also document the service on the Lexus Owner's website:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 04-10-11, 09:37 AM
analog
Driver School Candidate

I used the GS350 oil change as a guide, and did my own oil change for the last 20K miles.
Everything is pretty straight forward. The only little problem I encounted was I cound't get the little drain door to open. So instead, I just removed the whole oil filter housing.
Just take your time, and you should be fine.
Old 04-10-11, 10:47 AM
koric
Driver

You should try it out for experience! It is pretty simple. You don't even have to jack the car up. I used to be an avid diy'er. Now I've found an indy shop that only charges $10 for oil change labor. I don't have to get dirty and waste time recycling the oil.
Old 04-10-11, 12:10 PM
Haunches
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rainbird
The RP doesn't have a RX330 model. He has the 2009 RX350. The oil change procedure is totally different between these Lexus models. Follow the oil change procedure I outlined in the post above. The same oil change procedure is used for the 2007 - 2011 Lexus RX350 as well as most other Toyota vehicles from 2007 to present.
This is why I suggested not using the forum for this. People mean well but it could come back to hurt you or your car if you're blindly following inaccurate advice.
Old 04-10-11, 08:28 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 23 Posts

What was inaccurate????

He did not list in his OP what vehicle he had.. An oil change procedure is nearly identical for most RX models with the only difference being the filter set up on the 350?

Besides, anyone who fails to do their homework before wrenching on their own vehicles without a knowledge base to draw from is foolish. I stated NOTHING inaccurate. You could follow my advice even with the 350 and probably do just fine. The filter set up is the only thing different than a standard oil change.

Some people around this forum are so arrogant it is funny. People should relax a bit more and be happy we have a board like this to share ideas in the first place. This isn't a world's best Lexus mechanic contest.
Old 04-10-11, 10:29 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
What was inaccurate????

He did not list in his OP what vehicle he had..
Sure he did. It was the in the title of the thread: 09 RX 350 oil change

Quick Reply: 09 RX 350 oil change