RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 RX330 Climate Control intermittent issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-11, 10:02 AM
Dnepr98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 RX330 Climate Control intermittent issue

Hello All!

I am seeking any help I can get on this very frustrating problem with my Lexus! Here is the problem… From time to time (can’t put my finger on what triggers it), climate control will stop working. Buttons are not lit up or responsive, fans do not work, and computer doesn’t show outside temperature. Problem can last a day, an hour, 10 minutes, or any other time frame. Most of the time once it stops working it will not start working until left parked and locked overnight. Sometimes when we start driving it would all of a sudden start working on its own… This has happened during multiple seasons and multiple weather conditions.

I took the car to Lexus dealer who decided it would be a smart idea to replace the whole climate control unit in the dash ($1600 job), well this past weekend the problem occurred again with brand new climate control unit in place (obviously this overpriced part was not at fault)!!!

Is anyone else out there having this problem? Am I just the lucky one stuck with this car that has a mind of its own!?!?!?

Please help! Any comments or suggestions are welcome!!!

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-11-11, 10:31 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

whoa, sounds like a parts changer technician worked on yours, and didnt correctly diagnose the problem. Take it back, and talk to the manager if you have too. No excuse for this!
Old 04-11-11, 10:47 AM
Dnepr98
Driver School Candidate

Oh I definitely am taking it back, making an appointment now... I have a feeling they will waste more of my time and money since last time they told me there were no error codes that they were able to pull up.
Old 04-12-11, 07:36 PM
HKTaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have the same problem with my RX, but I have some very similar problem with the dashboard in my old 92 LS 400. The problem with the dashboard is, when I started the car, the dashboard work normally, lights up. But after driving for 5 mins, 1 hour, half day, then all in a sudden all lights gone, can't read anything at all. Then turn the ignition off, restart the car, some time the lights will come back up straight away, some time have to wait until the next day.

The problem with my dashboard is due to few capacitors start to not working consistently due to aging. I took out the dashboard, change about 3 capacitors, put it back into the car, it works like new and problem gone.

I'm not electronic expertise, but I think it's very hard to find the problem when you send the car in without the problem happening at that moment.

Just my similar experience and hope this can help you to locate your problem. Good luck.
Old 07-20-11, 07:04 AM
Dnepr98
Driver School Candidate

After all this time, and expensive parts replaced... dealer finally found the problem, by method of elimination...

Whenever they ran diagnostics tests, they would get a communication error. So after me pointing out "Hmm, maybe it's the climate control ECU since the problem is with communication", the dealer changed the $800 climate control ECU module and what do you know... everything is working even in today's 100 degree weather!!!

Thanks to my extended warranty, all it coasted me was $100 deductible (every visit) - but even that is too much when you are dealing with people who want to part your car and get more and more money out of your warranty...

Old 07-20-11, 07:26 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Man, I`m so happy for you!! It`s way too hot out their for this to happen. Kind of sad though that YOU had to point them in the right direction? Such a competent work force we have these day`s!
Old 12-16-14, 06:14 AM
RD207
Driver School Candidate

Default LS 400 Capacitors

[QUOTE=HKTaz;6305496]I have some very similar problem with the dashboard in my old 92 LS 400... The problem with my dashboard is due to few capacitors start to not working consistently due to aging. I took out the dashboard, change about 3 capacitors, put it back into the car, it works like new and problem gone. /QUOTE]

I am having this same issue with my 1st gen '91 LS 400... The capacitors you changed within the dash, where were they located; behind the climate control, within it, main ECU capacitors?? Please help. I am in the Midwest and its winter here, its a huge problem with clearing windows and no heat!