RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Custom fiberglass enclosure RX330

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-11, 06:41 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

It is a great design, alas not for me as I like the ML system as is. How does this work with the under carpet storage bins that this sits over?
Old 04-20-11, 03:01 PM
Dxpliciton
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No issues with the compartments as of yet. Can still access the tools and can use the front right side compartment. I have the amp mounted in the front left compartment.

Thanks for the compliments.
Old 04-23-11, 08:26 AM
dperezjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dxpliciton
So i use to be an installer and like to entertain my time by building systems for friends and family. Recently turned attention to the RX330 which was leaning toward a low key, low budget, out of the way method of adding low end bass without losing space or the ability to get to the tools, and compartments under the trunk mat. Below is just a few quick photos of the process of the 10" sub enclosure that was constructed and installed along with a simple sub amp in the right side smaller compartment under the trunk mat. ***Question*** would anybody pay for these? I can rip these out for others since i notice there is no clean looking sub solution for these vehicles. Feedback please...

Fiberglass cavity and wood frame

Fleeced

Bondo'ed

Carpet matched and wrapped

The lines seem to flow

Eclipse Alum 10" Sub
I like the box but can you still open the comparment below the sub box?
Old 04-25-11, 12:02 AM
Dxpliciton
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go through the thread a lil you can see a few questions others have asked and that was actually one of them. You can get into the compartment below the enclosure its where i mounted the sub amp actually, the enclosure is not bolted in. It fits snug into the rear wall and the rear wheel well and does not move from its location after driving i have learned as if it did i was going to have to find a mount solution but its not needed.

Also information on pricing is now in OP for anybody who would like to own one of these.

Last edited by Dxpliciton; 04-25-11 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-17-11, 11:59 PM
VanGuy10
Driver School Candidate

Cmon, how many times will we use the lame jack? How many times HAVE you used it? Its a waste of space & only adds dead weight. Really, if its raining, dark, cold, cars flying by on the highway. Would you really want to change your tire with stone-age equipment? $60 annual for AAA. $5/ month for peace of mind anyone? Our factory jack is a nice gesture, but cmon. It'll be a pain in the ***. Call for AAA & have it done securely & safely.
With that said, I threw out the lane jack & used that space for something I use EVERYDAY. Every second im in the vehicle. a badass subwoofer. I didnt want to sacrifice ANY space (the rx330 doesnt have that big of a trunk to begin with lol), & i wanted it to be hidden (so robbers would break in & steal it).
Check out my solution & tell me wat you think. Took me 3 tries to get this right. If anybody cares to hear the story, lemme know. Hooked in with Vaisz mp3 adapter.
JL Audio 10w3v3

Old 05-18-11, 01:59 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by VanGuy10
Cmon, how many times will we use the lame jack? How many times HAVE you used it? Its a waste of space & only adds dead weight. Really, if its raining, dark, cold, cars flying by on the highway. Would you really want to change your tire with stone-age equipment? $60 annual for AAA. $5/ month for peace of mind anyone? Our factory jack is a nice gesture, but cmon. It'll be a pain in the ***. Call for AAA & have it done securely & safely.
Fair point but piece of mind knowing it's there because I am capable of changing my own wheel. Just make sure you have it somewhere when you need it. Let's see change tyre myself with jack vs potentially waiting a long time for road side assistance (what we call it in Australia) to attend (potentially a while depending on how far away from the metro you are), I think I will keep my jack with me. Just saying.
Old 05-18-11, 02:07 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Either of those two set ups would work for me The floor set up with a bit more protection would be so great! Not too complicated either.
Old 05-18-11, 12:13 PM
VanGuy10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by draco
Fair point but piece of mind knowing it's there because I am capable of changing my own wheel. Just make sure you have it somewhere when you need it. Let's see change tyre myself with jack vs potentially waiting a long time for road side assistance (what we call it in Australia) to attend (potentially a while depending on how far away from the metro you are), I think I will keep my jack with me. Just saying.
Guess so... but i live in the city. Ive used it, not for my RX330 but an older benz. Took em 20 min. i think i done it bout 3 times. no wait longer than 30 min. depends on where you live i suppose. Slowass crank jack just isnt for me
Old 09-09-11, 10:38 PM
Smartazz91
Driver School Candidate

I too cannot give up any space in my RX. Have you considered building something to go in the floor?
Thanks