RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

mileage dropped from 26 to 19.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-11, 11:00 AM
lexus1946
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mileage dropped from 26 to 19.

The change is based on the info readout. I have had the engine looked at and told everything looks in good shape. So I filled up and took a 75 mile ride on the expressway and filled up again. So I had a good mileage calculation. It came out at 24 and the car info said 19. So it looks like the car measurement is in error. I don't know how the car does the measurement or if it uses the measurement in determining gas flow to the engine. Also, it is time for tires so I am probably losing 1 to 2 from the poor tires.
Old 04-21-11, 11:22 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Do you have a 330 or a 350?
Old 04-21-11, 11:26 AM
lexus1946
Driver School Candidate

I should have put that in the post. It is an RX330 (2004)
Old 04-21-11, 12:21 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

you must have a front wheel drive for that millage.
Old 04-21-11, 02:06 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Have you tried resetting the mpg average?
Old 04-22-11, 03:09 PM
lexus1946
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, everyone. I asked the dealership if a error in the functioning of the calculated miles per gallon had any effect on the engine and they said no. I'm not gonna worry about it. This car has always had great mileage. Once on a 700 mile trip to Maine I decided to drive very conservatively - 65 no or little passing. We got 29 mpg.
Old 04-23-11, 11:10 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Have you tried resetting the mpg average?
how is that done??
Old 04-23-11, 01:19 PM
Haunches
Rookie

I thought it reset when you fill up.
Old 04-23-11, 10:44 PM
RonMexico5
Driver School Candidate

75 miles is probably too small of a sample size to get an accurate reading

EDIT: And HOW are you possibly getting 26 mpg? Thats unreal...
Old 04-24-11, 01:05 AM
koric
Driver

On my last fill up, the comp said 24 mpg. I divided my mileage by the gallons of fuel filled and it was 23 mpg. I dont think the computer is very accurate.
Old 04-24-11, 08:33 AM
filmteknik
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget the computer calculated mpg. Do periodic real mileage checks and compare them to see if anything changes as an indication that something needs attention. I got in the habit of checking almost every fill up. I noticed right away when it dropped a few mpg for no reason and I realized that it had to be because of winter gas formulation.

To be accurate you can't just fill up to the point the pump shuts off since there is wide variation in that. Top off to the same point each time--I go to a couple inches from the top of the filler tube. Assuming the pump metering is accurate this should give you very accurate results. Even if the miles are a tiny bit off (your odometer doesn't know about tire wear for example) the error will be the same each time and cancel out. Likewise if pump accuracy concerns you then just fill at the same pump when doing a mileage check. Again, while these things could cause a small error when comparing with other people when comparing with yourself at different times they will all have the same error so it's a valid comparison. The data gathered from driving through a full tank should be sufficient.

I have a 2008 RX350 AWD and I burn regular. I typically get 19-20 MPG with a mix of local and freeway (city area, not open road) driving. Open road freeway-only might give me 21 or a bit more. MPG will drop about 2 with winter formulated fuel.

Some day I may burn a few tanks of mid-grade to see if it's true that it improves MPG. It's said that the computers take time to adjust so one tank alone isn't enough. Performance is fine so the only reason I would switch permanently is if it offers a lower cost per mile and switching temporarily would be to gather data to see if it's true.

Steve
Old 04-24-11, 09:50 AM
MerlinT
Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by filmteknik
Forget the computer calculated mpg. Do periodic real mileage checks and compare them to see if anything changes as an indication that something needs attention. I got in the habit of checking almost every fill up. I noticed right away when it dropped a few mpg for no reason and I realized that it had to be because of winter gas formulation.

To be accurate you can't just fill up to the point the pump shuts off since there is wide variation in that. Top off to the same point each time--I go to a couple inches from the top of the filler tube. Assuming the pump metering is accurate this should give you very accurate results. Even if the miles are a tiny bit off (your odometer doesn't know about tire wear for example) the error will be the same each time and cancel out. Likewise if pump accuracy concerns you then just fill at the same pump when doing a mileage check. Again, while these things could cause a small error when comparing with other people when comparing with yourself at different times they will all have the same error so it's a valid comparison. The data gathered from driving through a full tank should be sufficient.

I have a 2008 RX350 AWD and I burn regular. I typically get 19-20 MPG with a mix of local and freeway (city area, not open road) driving. Open road freeway-only might give me 21 or a bit more. MPG will drop about 2 with winter formulated fuel.

Some day I may burn a few tanks of mid-grade to see if it's true that it improves MPG. It's said that the computers take time to adjust so one tank alone isn't enough. Performance is fine so the only reason I would switch permanently is if it offers a lower cost per mile and switching temporarily would be to gather data to see if it's true.

Steve
That's "ze" advice
Old 04-24-11, 12:03 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by filmteknik

Steve
Its really not a good idea to put anymore fuel in your tank once the pump clicks for the first time (unless you know it made a mistake and you are only half full). the reason for this is that you have a charcoal canister for emission purposes. by filling up too much you risk the chance of putting fuel directly into that canister and other lines where it shouldnt be. this can then result in giving you a check engine light or worse, making you replace parts.

end of the day, once it clicks, stop pumping.
Old 04-25-11, 05:22 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi
Its really not a good idea to put anymore fuel in your tank once the pump clicks for the first time (unless you know it made a mistake and you are only half full). the reason for this is that you have a charcoal canister for emission purposes. by filling up too much you risk the chance of putting fuel directly into that canister and other lines where it shouldnt be. this can then result in giving you a check engine light or worse, making you replace parts.

I have always done it in all of my cars (I always go with a couple more clicks after the first click). I have never had an issue (that includes 4 Soarers (3 turbo's & 1 V8), 1 ES300 and other cars down under).
Old 04-25-11, 06:53 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi

Well, that means I`m in deep S hit! Because I got gas in jersey yesterday,and they pump for you over there. The attendant filled quite a few clicks after it shut off.

Quick Reply: mileage dropped from 26 to 19.