RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

need new tires for '08 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-11 | 08:33 PM
myw
Pit Crew

Yokohama AVID v4S !! quiet and comparable if not better performance then the stock michelins imo.
Old 05-14-11 | 09:51 PM
filmteknik
Pit Crew

Yes, I zero odometer A (or both) each fillup. And I top off because where pumps stop is subject to too much variation. So my figures should be very accurate. It's funny...I only occasionally checked MPG with the Grand Cherokee but when I got the Lexus I was initially curious and then just got into the habit of topping off and calculating virtually every fillup, unless I am in a big hurry. I don't keep a log or anything like that; I'm just curious to see each time.

BTW, this is with 87 octane. At some point I really do want to test several tanks of mid-grade or premium and see if MPG goes up enough to make it worthwhile. I should have run that test long ago with the old tires but now I'll wait until I know what to expect with the new tires before conducting that experiment. One variable at a time.

BTW, what pressure is ideal? The official spec, as I recall, is 30 PSI.
Old 05-15-11 | 06:36 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by filmteknik
...I only occasionally checked MPG with the Grand Cherokee but when I got the Lexus I was initially curious and then just got into the habit of topping off and calculating virtually every fillup, unless I am in a big hurry. I don't keep a log or anything like that; I'm just curious to see each time.
It is also a good way to keep ahead of possible problems with your vehicle by noting any sudden drops in MPG.
Old 05-15-11 | 06:47 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by filmteknik
BTW, what pressure is ideal? The official spec, as I recall, is 30 PSI.
Ideal pressure is the manufacturer spec found in the Owner's Manual and door jam. Those values for front and rear are designed to give you the best compromise in ride, quietness, handling, stopping, etc.

Personally, I run 35 PSI all-around in my Alenzas for my time here in FL and highway travels. When in PA, around town, I drop to 32 PSI due to the bad roads. The higher tire pressures provide too rough a ride, IMHO, due to the bad roads and the stiffer sidewalls. Remember, tires are also part of the suspension package.

I have always done this with my street vehicles, running higher tire pressures than spec. Not for fuel savings, rather, I like the stiffer ride. So, a personal preference.

Have not experienced any unexpected wear issues over the years with my original Michelins nor the current Alenzas running these higher tire pressures on my RX.
Old 05-15-11 | 10:05 AM
ephisig764
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tfischer
My brochure lists the fuel tank capacity as 19.4 gal.
In my experience, I have found the MPG calculations on the 3 Lexus cars I have owned to be remarkably accurate. What is not accurate is the gas gauge and the cruising range readouts, which have large margins built in to help you not run out of gas.
The most accurate way to compute mpg is to fill the tank up (and not top off) and set the odo to zero. Then make notes when buying gas in the future, and always fill up in the same manner. Note the gallons purchased from the pump (which is very accurate and monitored by a state or county agency - usually the auditor) and note the miles on the odo, which is also accurate. Reset the odo on each fill up. I did this for a month or so, including highway trips, and each time for each car my manual calculations almost exactly matched the dash readout. I just don't bother with the manual calculations any more. I think my RX gets about 18 in the city and over 20 on the highway, although I don't take it on many long trips (I tend to take the SC430 on longer trips, where the very powerful V-8 gives me 22 fun-filled mpg all the time, probably because it is loafing along at such low rpm; I'm not sure why, as it's a heavier car than the RX.)
As for the gauge, it looks to hit "E" at about 3 gals in the tank, and the cruising range is a good 50 miles too low, but I seldom go below a quarter of a tank, although the yellow fuel light did come on recently, so it's nice to see that the light still works. At that point, I think it took about 17 gals to fill up, so the light gives about a 40 mile warning, which is plenty.
That's my experience with the fuel gauge, lights and readouts, but your mileage may vary.
I've been using the FuelLog app on my Android phone. You can add an entry for each fill up and it will give you the mpg for the previous fill up. It also has tons of stats including avg, best and worst fuel consumption and fuel economy, total mileage, total fuel, total costs, total fillups, avg cost per mile, avg cost per gallon, avg cost per fill up, avg miles per dollar, avg cost per month, avg miles per month, avg cost per year and avg miles per year. It's been interesting tracking this info.
Old 05-16-11 | 06:26 AM
groomerz
Rookie

MPG and speed can change when different tires are installed if the exact oem tire is not installed. You might buy a different mfg tire in the same size but it will differ a bit. you can go to tire rack and look at the specs of the tires and see Rev per mile
this is what tire rack has to say

Revolutions Per Mile

Revolutions per mile indicates the number of times a tire revolves while it covers the distance of one mile. Depending on the tire manufacturer, revolutions per mile may be either measured in a laboratory or derived from calculations based on their previous test experience.

Tire revolutions per mile cannot be calculated by simple math because the tire tread and sidewall bend and stretch (deflect) when the load of the vehicle presses the tire against the road.

Since the resulting loaded or rolling radius is less than half the tire’s published overall diameter (which would only reflect the tire’s unloaded radius), calculating the tire’s absolute rolling circumference isn’t possible.

Additionally, a tire transitions from an unloaded to loaded state as it rolls, continuously flattening where the tread footprint comes into contact with the road. These continuous transitions result in some tread slippage, again increasing the tire revolutions per mile beyond what simple math would indicate.
Old 05-16-11 | 08:17 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Question Warranty claim with tire manufacturer?

Originally Posted by jkp51
Any recommendations for my 2008 RX 350? I searched the forum but the most recent posts for tires for this vehicle are from 2009. Back then, it seems the Bridgeston Dueler Alenzas were quite popular. Not sure if there are newer tires that people would recommend. I currently have 40,000 miles on the Goodyears it came with; I thought they had good traction, but didn't last long and are quite loud now (have probably always been a bit loud).
I read thru all the posts and no where do I see anyone mentioning about filing a tire warranty claim on this issue. I too have a 2008 RX350 with original Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 tires and at 40k miles, they are down to the wear bar and dealer has advised me to replace all 4. According to the Michelin warranty booklet that came with the vehicle and also from Michilin customer service, this tire should last up to 6 years under normal driving condition (no mileage warranty on this tire then). During the 1st year, Michelin will replace tires free of charge. After that, they will replace it based on a pro-rated basis based on the wear on your tire. Has anyone ever tried using this approach when replacing your worn tires? Won't this be money ahead since the manufacturer is paying for part of the cost of the new tire as part of the tire warranty (assuming you don't mind having the same brand tires)? Your thoughts and comments please. Thanks
Old 05-16-11 | 11:47 AM
jmonkie76
Driver School Candidate

Thanks LexusPia for getting us more back on track with the topic.

I wonder if your suggestion would also work for Certified Used with Alenza's as my initial tires (again, not sure if these are OEM or later changed for my vehicle).
Old 05-16-11 | 12:02 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by LexusPia
I read thru all the posts and no where do I see anyone mentioning about filing a tire warranty claim on this issue. I too have a 2008 RX350 with original Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 tires and at 40k miles, they are down to the wear bar and dealer has advised me to replace all 4. According to the Michelin warranty booklet that came with the vehicle and also from Michilin customer service, this tire should last up to 6 years under normal driving condition (no mileage warranty on this tire then). During the 1st year, Michelin will replace tires free of charge. After that, they will replace it based on a pro-rated basis based on the wear on your tire. Has anyone ever tried using this approach when replacing your worn tires? Won't this be money ahead since the manufacturer is paying for part of the cost of the new tire as part of the tire warranty (assuming you don't mind having the same brand tires)? Your thoughts and comments please. Thanks
Typically a manufacturer responds to this claim with a prorated discount off of the MSRP. You can almost always purchase the tire from retail sources at a discount. I don't know of anyone who pays MSRP for a tire so the warranty, when near expiration is virtually worthless, IME.

Last edited by jfelbab; 05-16-11 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-17-11 | 07:09 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by willyb0b
What do you recommend then?

if you dont want the Michelins, I`d go with the yokies.
Old 05-17-11 | 09:01 AM
jkp51
Driver School Candidate

My car drives perfectly straight, but the shops keep pushing the alignment with the purchase of 4 new tires. What's the consensus on alignment?
Old 05-17-11 | 10:15 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jkp51
My car drives perfectly straight, but the shops keep pushing the alignment with the purchase of 4 new tires. What's the consensus on alignment?
My 'philosophy' is super simple: If, when I change or rotate my tires, there is no uneven wear, it means the alignment is fine. So, there is no need to do an alignment when buying new tires is the old ones wore evenly. I also have noticed that my previous RX had no alignment problems whatsoever through two sets of tires (but, of course, that may depend on what conditions the car encountered during the period)
Old 05-17-11 | 09:20 PM
filmteknik
Pit Crew

That was my thinking as well. My old tires wore extremely evenly. The Firestone Store installing the new tires did a "free" alignment check and surprise surprise said the rear was off. (Front was in spec they said.) They gave me a printout which said that camber was in spec but toe was off:

Left: 0.35° Right: -0.06°

The specifed range for both (at least according to them) is: 0.04° to 0.19°.

So left is sixteen one-hundreths of a degree off. Right is one tenth of a degree off.

I have no idea if that is significant or not. So far I've taken no action.

Steve
Old 05-19-11 | 08:59 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Arrow

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Typically a manufacturer responds to this claim with a prorated discount off of the MSRP. You can almost always purchase the tire from retail sources at a discount. I don't know of anyone who pays MSRP for a tire so the warranty, when near expiration is virtually worthless, IME.
The price guide used by Michelin is as follows: "The participating Michelin tire retailer will determine the charge by multiplying the percentage of mileage received by the current selling price at the adjustment location or the price of the tire in the current Michelin Base Price List, whichever is lower. This list is based on a predetermined price intended to fairly represent the actual selling price of the tire". On any tire claim pertaining to original tires, it's best to go thru your local Lexus dealer since other tire retailers are not that interested in processing your claim since you never bought the tires from them and they'll do their best to discourage from filing a claim but instead to sell you a new set of tires.

Our dealer said all Lexus dealers are obligated to assist the car owners to process any tire warranty claim. The rule they have is the tread left on all tires cannot exceed 3/32 at any location (edge or center) before the claim can be filed otherwise Michelin will reject it if the existing treads exceed 3/32. This is the same process regardless of whether the tire comes with a time (e.g. 6 years) or mileage tread wear warranty. If Michelin approves, the dealer said it can save the car owner some money vs buying a set outright on his own. Of course the saving depends on the age of the tire but they said typically about 25 to 30% with this warranty claim. In my case, the dealer measured 3 points on each tire and determined the treads left range from a high of 5/32 to 3/32 which exceed the 3/32 requirement for the warranty claim since all tread depth must be 3/32 or less to qualify so I'll just drive them until this fall which will likely drop to 3/32 or less. The dealer said it is to the advantage of the car owner to try this claim process first since he has nothing to lose but everything to gain. Of all the claims the dealer has filed on behalf of the customers, just about all have come out ahead for the customer but it is more work for the dealer to process the paperwork than just buying a set outright. Hope this helps.
Old 05-24-11 | 03:27 AM
jkp51
Driver School Candidate

thanks sounds like good advice. the tires are wearing evenly so i'll skip the alignment. i'm going this morning for the new tires. decided on the bridgestone dueler alenzas, mostly because they received higher ratings than the michelins on tire rack. i just can't see spending that much for the michelins and then not being happy because they wore out after 20,000 miles.

Quick Reply: need new tires for '08 RX350