RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

need new tires for '08 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-11, 06:47 AM
jkp51
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need new tires for '08 RX350

Any recommendations for my 2008 RX 350? I searched the forum but the most recent posts for tires for this vehicle are from 2009. Back then, it seems the Bridgeston Dueler Alenzas were quite popular. Not sure if there are newer tires that people would recommend. I currently have 40,000 miles on the Goodyears it came with; I thought they had good traction, but didn't last long and are quite loud now (have probably always been a bit loud).
Old 05-10-11, 10:27 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jkp51
Any recommendations for my 2008 RX 350? I searched the forum but the most recent posts for tires for this vehicle are from 2009. Back then, it seems the Bridgeston Dueler Alenzas were quite popular. Not sure if there are newer tires that people would recommend. I currently have 40,000 miles on the Goodyears it came with; I thought they had good traction, but didn't last long and are quite loud now (have probably always been a bit loud).
I've had good experience with the Michelin Energy MXV4. Get a wheel alignment at the same time.
Old 05-10-11, 10:50 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I also replaced my stock Goodyear tires with Michelin Energy MXV4. Overall I like handling, traction and wear. They are noisy just like the Goodyears, however it's difficult to evaluate because of the poor road conditions in California.
Old 05-10-11, 12:42 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

What about having the dealer replace those tires?
Do they charge that much more then a tire store?
Old 05-10-11, 01:07 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

My dealer didn't charge more. In fact they were less than the local guy. Throw in a free alignment (had a coupon) and I was ahead of the game. Just stay away from Goodyear.

Also pays to check if any tire manufacturers have rebates too.
Old 05-10-11, 01:11 PM
Meadow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by somnoboy
I've had good experience with the Michelin Energy MXV4. Get a wheel alignment at the same time.
Just replaced my 2007 RX 400H tires with the same tire. We had tons of snow here in MA/NH this winter and I had no problems. They don't seem loud on the highway or off. I do get a little bit of slippage every now and then in the rain.
Old 05-10-11, 01:12 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

It`s hard to beat Michelin tires, they are one of the best. However the Yokohama Enviger I think their called? are well rated on here also.
Old 05-10-11, 03:33 PM
cmichael
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I jst bought a set of the Michelin Lattitude Tour tires ( I know, some people have posted that they should not be put on an RX350). The ride is nice and it's quiet. Check the sponsors of this site to see if you can pick up any deals. I got my tires with free shipping and a $70 rebate.
Old 05-10-11, 04:53 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought my Michelin Energy MXV4 at Costco. They also had a $70 instant off coupon. Costco also filled the tires with Nitrogen instead of Air for free. It is said that with Nitrogen the tires will run cooler and it also reduces air loss.
Old 05-10-11, 06:58 PM
MC5Wes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tires

I also went with the Michelin Lattitude Tour. Much better than the Duellers.
Old 05-11-11, 05:33 AM
filmteknik
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a 2008 RX 350. It came with the Michelin Energy MXV4's and as could see the end of their life approaching when I got into the 40K+ realm, I started researching what the replacement would be. Frankly I was disappointed in their life (though not unexpectedly since I could see from day one that their tread wasn't that deep) since I'd gotten 70K+ on Eagle GA's on my old Jeep Grand Cherokee. What I'd totally forgotten was that 50K life is normal on car type tires which is what the Michelins are.

One thing I'd been considering was to replace them in kind. And possibly just buy three since my spare was never included in rotations. I would then place the spare into service and put a worn tire in the spare position. That would also enable me to use Sam's Club where I'd bought several sets of tires. Prices are about average but they don't nickel and dime all the installation fees, just one flat price.

In the end after seeing recommendations here and elsewhere online I went with a set of Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas. It's supposed to have considerably longer life than the Michelin Energy's. Best price, nickel & dime-ing including, was at a Firestone company store (same company as Bridgestone).

By the time I changed tires I'd gotten 55K out of the Michelins which I understand is excellent. There was even a bit of room left before the wear indicators were even.

Quite honestly, now I am having some buyer's remorse.

Don't get me wrong, the tires are great. But early tests indicate the MPG has dropped a point or two. I will check again on the next fill-up to see. I used to get 19 point something on average, less with all stop and go, up to 20 point something on all highway. My first fill on the new tires after the change, a mix of a long interstate drive plus city driving was 17 point something. I saw that just before getting on the road for an interstate drive so I filled again around 100 miles later and it was 19 point something. I would have expected over 20. (These are all summer figures...winter gas formulation drops it a point or two.)

I checked on the pressure thinking maybe I could go up a lb or three with little effect on wear or performance and maybe up the MPG a touch. But while the vehicle spec was 30 the Firestone people were all over the map but mostly around 36 lbs. I adjusted all to this pressure. I don't know if that's ideal or not but the point was there was no room to raise it further.

The reason for possible buyer's remorse is this: I was not unhappy with the Michelins in terms of performance. Just wanted something to last longer. In other words it boils down to money and nothing else. But if it really has dropped two MPG then any longer life of the tires has been more than wiped out.

At $4.10 a gallon (price around here is actually much higher) the difference between 19.5 MPG and 17.5 MPG over 55,000 miles is $1322. Obviously worse if the gas price is worse and vice versa. And more if the tires last longer than 55K which I am hoping.

So my purchase selection may have been a big mistake if I was out to save money. I hope further tests show the difference to be less.

But I must say I have toyed with the idea of going to Sams and having them put on new Michelin Energy's. If the cost is around $800 then I am $500 ahead right there even if I got nothing for the Duelers and anything I would sell them for would be that much more benefit.

In the end I will do nothing but keep driving but if someone in the Chicago area was itching for a set of nearly brand new Dueler Alenzas (about 500 miles on them) in the P235 55 18" size I'd probably be interested in talking.

Steve
Old 05-12-11, 04:44 AM
LexiRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I asked this in another tire thread but never got any replies....

Does anyone know what the QUIETEST tire would be for the RX? I'm still on the originals @22K miles and they are not as quiet as I would have hoped.
Old 05-12-11, 05:23 AM
suraj83
Rookie

lexirx....wanted to know the same thing..

i live in Kenya, East Africa....and Michelins are ridiculously expensive.

what does everything think about pirellis? the pirelli scorpion zero's tires in particular?
Old 05-12-11, 05:48 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by filmteknik
I also have a 2008 RX 350. It came with the Michelin Energy MXV4's and as could see the end of their life approaching when I got into the 40K+ realm, I started researching what the replacement would be. Frankly I was disappointed in their life (though not unexpectedly since I could see from day one that their tread wasn't that deep) since I'd gotten 70K+ on Eagle GA's on my old Jeep Grand Cherokee. What I'd totally forgotten was that 50K life is normal on car type tires which is what the Michelins are.

One thing I'd been considering was to replace them in kind. And possibly just buy three since my spare was never included in rotations. I would then place the spare into service and put a worn tire in the spare position. That would also enable me to use Sam's Club where I'd bought several sets of tires. Prices are about average but they don't nickel and dime all the installation fees, just one flat price.

In the end after seeing recommendations here and elsewhere online I went with a set of Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas. It's supposed to have considerably longer life than the Michelin Energy's. Best price, nickel & dime-ing including, was at a Firestone company store (same company as Bridgestone).

By the time I changed tires I'd gotten 55K out of the Michelins which I understand is excellent. There was even a bit of room left before the wear indicators were even.

Quite honestly, now I am having some buyer's remorse.

Don't get me wrong, the tires are great. But early tests indicate the MPG has dropped a point or two. I will check again on the next fill-up to see. I used to get 19 point something on average, less with all stop and go, up to 20 point something on all highway. My first fill on the new tires after the change, a mix of a long interstate drive plus city driving was 17 point something. I saw that just before getting on the road for an interstate drive so I filled again around 100 miles later and it was 19 point something. I would have expected over 20. (These are all summer figures...winter gas formulation drops it a point or two.)

I checked on the pressure thinking maybe I could go up a lb or three with little effect on wear or performance and maybe up the MPG a touch. But while the vehicle spec was 30 the Firestone people were all over the map but mostly around 36 lbs. I adjusted all to this pressure. I don't know if that's ideal or not but the point was there was no room to raise it further.

The reason for possible buyer's remorse is this: I was not unhappy with the Michelins in terms of performance. Just wanted something to last longer. In other words it boils down to money and nothing else. But if it really has dropped two MPG then any longer life of the tires has been more than wiped out.

At $4.10 a gallon (price around here is actually much higher) the difference between 19.5 MPG and 17.5 MPG over 55,000 miles is $1322. Obviously worse if the gas price is worse and vice versa. And more if the tires last longer than 55K which I am hoping.

So my purchase selection may have been a big mistake if I was out to save money. I hope further tests show the difference to be less.

But I must say I have toyed with the idea of going to Sams and having them put on new Michelin Energy's. If the cost is around $800 then I am $500 ahead right there even if I got nothing for the Duelers and anything I would sell them for would be that much more benefit.

In the end I will do nothing but keep driving but if someone in the Chicago area was itching for a set of nearly brand new Dueler Alenzas (about 500 miles on them) in the P235 55 18" size I'd probably be interested in talking.

Steve

Go ahead and make yourself happy, buy the new tires and list yours on Craigslist. I am sure someone will pick them up, and you can recover most of your lost...
Old 05-12-11, 08:11 AM
tfischer

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

Am I missing something here?
"It is said that with Nitrogen the tires will run cooler and it also reduces air loss."
If you fill a tire with nitrogen, air loss would be reduced to zero. But what about nitrogen loss?

Quick Reply: need new tires for '08 RX350