RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

A new owner :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-11 | 08:49 PM
Benzat17
Rookie

Default A new owner :)

Hello
im a new owner to lexus i bought 2008 rx350 it has everything except nav, backup camera its ice blue( light blue) i dont know whats the exact color called.
i was wondering what should i change when i get it on Wednesday it has 95k KM or 59K miles and i wanted to know what is due to be changed.

thank you and i hope to help and get helped on this forum
Old 05-23-11 | 09:05 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

That's wonderful. This site has saved me allot of time and money. So many helpful people here. Couple of trolls but that's everywhere. I would suggest doing a few searches here "search this forum" on the upper right and if you can't find what information you need than post a new thread. The question your asking is pretty well documented here

Have fun! Great car!
Old 05-23-11 | 09:09 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Welcome to CL. Your car is Breakwater Blue. You are coming up on a 60k check (100KKM?) If you are getting it from a dealer you should insist the service be done as it will be several hundred dollars. If that isn't possible you can do a lot of it yourself if you are handy. Your manual will list what is needed on the service.
Old 05-23-11 | 11:07 PM
Benzat17
Rookie

Originally Posted by infinirx
That's wonderful. This site has saved me allot of time and money. So many helpful people here. Couple of trolls but that's everywhere. I would suggest doing a few searches here "search this forum" on the upper right and if you can't find what information you need than post a new thread. The question your asking is pretty well documented here

Have fun! Great car!
i did a search, and decided to change spark plugs, oil, oil filter i dont know what else but ill figure it out soon
Old 05-23-11 | 11:10 PM
Benzat17
Rookie

Originally Posted by Carver
Welcome to CL. Your car is Breakwater Blue. You are coming up on a 60k check (100KKM?) If you are getting it from a dealer you should insist the service be done as it will be several hundred dollars. If that isn't possible you can do a lot of it yourself if you are handy. Your manual will list what is needed on the service.
thanks for telling me the color name
and no im not getting it from the dealer so im gunna have to do it my self or send it to the dealer to do the service ( i dont know whats included in the 60k service but ill find out when i get the car and read the manual).
Old 05-24-11 | 12:07 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

I would seriously consider changing the radiator coolant, brakes, steering fluid, transmission fluid as well as the oil. These cars love maintenance and will serve you well if you belly up and take care of it.
Old 05-24-11 | 04:58 AM
HKTaz
Driver School Candidate

Since no idea how the previous owner(s) use/treat the car before, so if I were you, I'll do a major tuneup, things include change all the belts, water pump, all filters (air filters, air-con filter, oil filter and other small air flow filters), spark plug, all fluid (transmission fluid, power steering fluid, break fluid, engine oil), flush the cooling system, check or even change the battery, wiper, break pad, break disc thickness and check the air-con system. Yes, seems quite a lot but after that, then you won't have to worry a lot of things in your car for quite some time. That's what I did when I bought mine even mine is just having less than 80000km in mileage. Just my opinion, hope this help.
Old 05-24-11 | 05:33 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Agree about the 60K mile service. In addition if you go to this website http://www.lexus.com/owners, set up an account and enter the VIN you can see the dealer service records for your RX. If you do self-maintenance you can also enter your own information so it's all in one place. You may find that your car has had good care and you may save yourself some money by not having to assume it's been neglected. I just bought a 2009 RX350 and found that all of the service milestones had been satisfied.
Old 05-24-11 | 07:11 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HKTaz
Since no idea how the previous owner(s) use/treat the car before, so if I were you, I'll do a major tuneup, things include change all the belts, water pump?, all filters (air filters, air-con filter, oil filter and other small air flow filters), spark plug, all fluid (transmission fluid, power steering fluid, break fluid, engine oil), flush the cooling system, check or even change the battery, wiper, break pad, break disc thickness and check the air-con system. Yes, seems quite a lot but after that, then you won't have to worry a lot of things in your car for quite some time. That's what I did when I bought mine even mine is just having less than 80000km in mileage. Just my opinion, hope this help.

No need to replace the water pump.
Old 05-24-11 | 07:59 AM
Rainbird

There is no need to change the spark plugs they do not require changing until 120,000 miles. The Transmission fluid is good for the life of the vehicle but many owners change it at 100,000 miles (It uses World Standard Transmission Fluid and nothing else). The coolant does not need to be changed until 100,000 miles. The brake fluid needs replaced every 30,000 miles.

Was this vehicle purchased from a Lexus dealer? A CPO? If so, the dealer should have performed the 60K service, if not make them do it. Also water pumps rarely fail on this vehicle. The RX 350 also uses a timing chain instead of a belt, so no belt change is needed, saves $$$.

Last edited by Rainbird; 05-24-11 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-24-11 | 08:57 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Does anyone really believe you should not change the transmission fluid prior to 100K? Would any of you actually risk a 6 thousand dollar transmission on the off chance 150 dollars worth of fluid can really survive the heat, wear, chemical breakdown, moisture condensation and dirt of 100 thousand miles of hard use?

I suppose a new car buyer can afford the luxury of not worrying about it but for a guy buying a used car with 60-70k on it I simply would not take the gamble of 150 against 6 thousand. I don't believe in unicorns and magic rainbows either.
Old 05-24-11 | 09:19 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Does anyone really believe you should not change the transmission fluid prior to 100K? Would any of you actually risk a 6 thousand dollar transmission on the off chance 150 dollars worth of fluid can really survive the heat, wear, chemical breakdown, moisture condensation and dirt of 100 thousand miles of hard use?

I suppose a new car buyer can afford the luxury of not worrying about it but for a guy buying a used car with 60-70k on it I simply would not take the gamble of 150 against 6 thousand. I don't believe in unicorns and magic rainbows either.

I do my Transmission drain/fill every 30k...or less.
Old 05-24-11 | 09:58 AM
Rainbird

Information below applies ONLY to vehicles using World Standard Transmission Fluid.

Quote from Lexus Technical Service Information Bulletin TC008-07:

􀀀 100,000 Maintenance Interval — Inspection only; ATF-WS does NOT require any flushing or changing during the life of the vehicle.
􀀀 The use of Genuine Toyota ATF-WS is recommended.
􀀀 The use of additives or aftermarket fluids that are considered compatible
or substitutes may result in shift concerns and damage to the internal transmission components.
􀀀 ATF-WS is NOT compatible with T-IV or Dexron ATF.
􀀀 Containers storing Toyota ATF-WS should always be sealed — If exposed to the atmosphere, ATF-WS may absorb moisture and potentially cause shift concerns if used in operation.
􀀀 One time use only.
􀀀 When performing repairs on ATF-WS equipped transaxles, it is important to use only new, clean ATF–WS when refilling the ATM.
􀀀 ATF-WS equipped ATMs may use the overflow type procedure — Any fluid
drained from the overflow plug should be discarded following proper local
regulations and never reused. Failure to do so could result in shift concerns and damage to the internal transmission components.
Old 05-24-11 | 11:50 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

I didn't doubt your statement about it being called a 100K transmission but my point remains the same for a used car buyer; it would be foolish to assume fluid hadn't been compromised at some point in the car's life. Changing the fluid is very inexpensive peace of mind.

LOL, even if I bought a shiny new one I would be down there at 30K getting it changed, seriously, follow me around, you want to buy my used cars. Whatever baby needs baby gets!
Old 05-24-11 | 01:23 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Glad so many stepped up with info here. Got my RX at 90K so I did not really have allot of input.

Quick Reply: A new owner :)