RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus RX Chrome Rim Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 11:52 AM
krazk75
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus RX Chrome Rim Issue

I purchased a certified Lexus RX 330 8 months ago. I have had issues with keeping the correct air pressure in my tire since I have purchased it. I have had Toyota look at it and they can not find anything wrong with the tire. They had removed the tire from the rim. Yesterday I got a flat and went to Les Schawb to have them repair my tire. They were the only company willing to stay open (it was passed their closing time) and repair my tire. When the technician was repairing my tire he told me that I have had a leak coming out from the rim for some time. He told me that someone had tried to repair it prior and that the rim was shot. I know that Lexus does not cover wheels or tires in their warranty. I called the dealership and talked to the sales agent, who told me she had never heard of any such problems. She confirmed that the wheels are not covered under the warranty. She told me that their was nothing she could do, but would ask her manager on Monday and see if they could do anything for me. She also said that I had purchased the vehicle 8 month prior; which I can't see a wheel being destroyed in 8 month of ownership. I garage my vehicle and keep it in pristine condition. My question is has anyone else had this issue? How did you get it resolved?

Thanks in Advance
Old 06-05-11, 12:01 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i encountered the exact same thing when i worked at chrysler. a lady had a sebring with chrome wheels that kept leaking, all four of them. after enough trips to the shop and enough complaining she got chrysler to replace them. funny thing was, she told them she wanted steelies with hubcaps instead so she would never have an issue again.

but being the one repairing the flats time after time, there really isnt much that can be done, the chrome is a couple mm think and once it starts to peel its game over. unless there is a process in which you can peel the chrome off, then re-apply.

unfortunately if they dont cover it, you are SOL. but since you did buy it less than a year ago i would keep fighting anyway. or start looking online for new ones
Old 06-05-11, 12:17 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The problem with RX chrome wheels is they are done aftermarket. You are at the mercy of whatever facility did the plating in the first place and quality varies. Also, weather has a lot to do with the life of chrome wheels. Northern states are much harder on them than here in the southwest. When you see rusted, pitted or flaking chrome wheels they are usually from someplace that uses salt.
Old 06-06-11, 07:36 AM
shoebopper
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a record of concerns over the chrome wheel issue and have heard the "SOL" line from a dealership and Lexus both. Had a flat the other day and it turned out to be a bead leak where the chrome flaked. The tire guy buffed/sanded/whatever the area and applied a generous amount of bead sealant. Seems to have worked. I have two other tires that persistently lose air pressure and I beleive it's the same thing. Sad, sad, sad.