RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Has anyone had a timing belt break?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-12, 10:56 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

The belt on my RX400h 3.3l engine same as RX330 looked a little tired....but still good....That was at 98k miles.
Old 01-23-12, 07:33 AM
gusar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My timing belt was replaced @ 146,000 KM (recommended 144,000). No pulleys or water pump replaced (were OK as per Mechanic).
To me belt looked OK, but mechanic said it became too soft it's good time to replace it.
Old 11-08-13, 08:34 AM
2irish4u
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdnewton
I don't know where it is listed as "non-inteference" unless you are looking at the Gates site.

My friend is a Toyota Master Diagnostic Tech/ASE Master Tech/L-1. I chatted with him to confirm. His exact quote was "it is a valve muncher and I have seen them break around 125K; I would replace around 105K with the idlers and water pump."

Also, Autodata (page 868) lists the 2004 3MZ-FE engine as an Interference Engine.

BTW, he wanted me to add, "Oh, the valves don't bend, they break, the tops fall off, lay in the cylinder and they will destroy the heads and pistons"
I have a question, I am panicking and I need some piece of mind. ...I have an 05 rx330 and I bought it with 85k, it cane with 40 pages of maintenence records because it was owned by the proverbial little old lady. I haven't even had it for 2 years and have 111k on it. I haven't had the belt done yet because of monetary situations and am not trying to do one thing at a time. My question is in the meantime should I be as worried as I am about the belt breaking? The mechanics keep telling me it will break very soon are they screwing with me and trying to rip me off or is this thing gonna go when I am on the turnpike?
P.s. They also sold me a car with bad cats, apparently Lexus put out a Bulletin stating that the cat produces an odor and they are aware of it. So they know they put bad cats in these cars but because they told everyone about it its ok, pretty screwed up I think.
Old 11-08-13, 09:00 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 2irish4u
I have a question, I am panicking and I need some piece of mind. ...I have an 05 rx330 and I bought it with 85k, it cane with 40 pages of maintenence records because it was owned by the proverbial little old lady. I haven't even had it for 2 years and have 111k on it. I haven't had the belt done yet because of monetary situations and am not trying to do one thing at a time. My question is in the meantime should I be as worried as I am about the belt breaking? The mechanics keep telling me it will break very soon are they screwing with me and trying to rip me off or is this thing gonna go when I am on the turnpike?
P.s. They also sold me a car with bad cats, apparently Lexus put out a Bulletin stating that the cat produces an odor and they are aware of it. So they know they put bad cats in these cars but because they told everyone about it its ok, pretty screwed up I think.
I have 116k miles on ours. We bought at 76k. I plan to change belt in the spring in which we'll have 122k miles or so. I am not worried about it. Our cars are easy on belts and most people on the forum who have changed theirs at 120k say they looked brand new. I am sure there are cases but I have never heard of an original belt breaking on an RX before 180k miles but I am sure it happens but rarely. Every time I go to lexus dealer they bring up our service records and continually try to scare me because I did not get it changed at 90k.

I will say, age has a big factor in the belt life as well. If our car was 3-4 years older than it is now, I would have changed the belt already even if it had the same miles so take that info into consideration.
Old 11-08-13, 09:48 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

When the belts break, it is usually at the worst time. I had an Accord and it broke when I was passing someone ... kind of scary. The friend I mentioned earlier in the thread advises to replace the timing belt between 110-120K. The water pump is your call.

I use a shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus and they charge $199 for the V6 timing belt replacement (OEM parts); a pretty fair price. This does not include the water pump, coolant flush, shop supplies, etc. Perhaps you can find a shop that specializes in Toyota and get a similar price?

BTW, Lexus wanted about 4-5 times that much for the same service.
Old 11-08-13, 10:05 AM
RXPhil
Rookie

IMO I wouldn't play around with the timing belt. Get it changed right at the interval that the manufacturer calls for or before. If the belt snaps you'll be looking at a lot more then a water pump T belt and coolant.
Old 11-08-13, 01:17 PM
alchemist
Instructor

When the belts break, it is usually at the worst time. I had an Accord and it broke when I was passing someone ... kind of scary. The friend I mentioned earlier in the thread advises to replace the timing belt between 110-120K. The water pump is your call.

I use a shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus and they charge $199 for the V6 timing belt replacement (OEM parts); a pretty fair price. This does not include the water pump, coolant flush, shop supplies, etc. Perhaps you can find a shop that specializes in Toyota and get a similar price?

that is a hell of a price... local lexus dealer here charges 475 for timing belt and accessory belts but no water pump. For pump they want another 350-400 explaining that it is fused into the block, blah blah, blah, takes a long time to change, blah blah.

I am going to tackle this job myself over xmas and write a DIY.

Last edited by alchemist; 11-11-13 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-11-13, 07:39 AM
2irish4u
Driver School Candidate

Where did u get that price ? Trying to find a place in PA ti do it that cheap. It's not for lack of want is for lack of funds so this would greatly help me.

Where did u get that quote? I am trying to find a place in PA that will do it that cheap! It's not for lack of want that I am not replacing it, it's lack of funds so this would help me greatly.

Old 11-11-13, 05:01 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Where did u get that price ? Trying to find a place in PA ti do it that cheap. It's not for lack of want is for lack of funds so this would greatly help me.
I am located in Denver, CO and use a shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus.

I am not sure if it helps, but here is a link to their specials: http://toycarcare.com/specials/
Old 11-11-13, 09:46 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Definitely wouldn't stress going over a TB interval on any Lexus... these things are made for 'more' than exact mileages.

I'm thinking the one on my ES is due soon, but I'm no where near the mileage portion, so I may just keep on truckin, maybe inspect it this summer and eventually change the belt itself.
Old 01-19-14, 08:39 AM
lexusaht
Driver

Had a friend with 2005 RX 330, timing belt broke at 97k on freeway. no engine damage. fyi
Old 01-19-14, 12:49 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by lexusaht
Had a friend with 2005 RX 330, timing belt broke at 97k on freeway. no engine damage. fyi
Are you sure this was not the serpentine belt? TB breaking at highway rpms would have grenaded the motor. His valves would have been bouncing off the pistons unless he magically turned the car off seconds before it happened
Old 01-19-14, 03:59 PM
jamieZ
Rookie

I never, ever heard of a timing belt breaking on anything ever. For those who can't sleep at nights worrying , change it. A good nights sleep is important. If you must worry, worry about something not as stupid as a timing belts..
Old 01-19-14, 04:30 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by jamieZ
I never, ever heard of a timing belt breaking on anything ever. For those who can't sleep at nights worrying , change it. A good nights sleep is important. If you must worry, worry about something not as stupid as a timing belts..
Absolutely. As I have said before talk to a lexus service advisor and they will tell you. I have heard of only 2 Toyota vehicles breaking belt. One was a 99 rx with 200k miles and original belt and other was a Toyota 4 runner belt that broke at 230k, also original belt
Old 01-19-14, 05:57 PM
lexusaht
Driver

Originally Posted by alchemist
Are you sure this was not the serpentine belt? TB breaking at highway rpms would have grenaded the motor. His valves would have been bouncing off the pistons unless he magically turned the car off seconds before it happened
not the serpentine belt, believed he had a seized idler wheel of timing belt resulting in breaking. car just stop, cannot be start again.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had a timing belt break?