RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

switching out lugs(bolts) to stock in the rear. Do I have to remove the rotor???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-11, 03:44 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default switching out lugs(bolts) to stock in the rear. Do I have to remove the rotor???

Yeah this is an unusual circumstance. When I installed a 10mm spacer to fit the current wheels I have the guy installed extra long lugs(bolts) to compensate for what thread was lost with the spacer installed.

So now that I have to go back to stock wheels I cannot find any way in the rear to just hammer out the lugs(bolts) and just stick in the stock ones. So for now I am stuck. I have allot of things to do and need my car. Just tires wanted (get this) $100 to change each wheel and the lugs. Unless I must remove the rotor I do NOT want to pay any where near that kind of money.

If anyone has any idea if there is a spot that I can slide the lugs out I would appreciate it. I just do not want to be driving the way it is atm. It's an AWD system.

PS: Dunno maybe it's not technically called a Lug or Bolt. But I think it's a Lug cause you must use Lug Nuts to secure the wheels on them lol!

Last edited by infinirx; 06-21-11 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-21-11, 05:50 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Are those not pressed in?
Old 06-21-11, 06:52 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts

They are part of the hub assembly...Since I have a steel cutter I would just cut them off and grind a new end on them. But you would have to be very carefull on the cutting to make sure the length is correct.
Old 06-21-11, 10:11 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

So yes I would have to remove the rotor.... Such a pain..... I don;t have the technical skill but I have to change them.
Old 06-21-11, 11:36 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have done this before, you will have to remove the rotor.

then simply use a hammer and pop them out, then when you install the new ones simply push it in and tighten with another nut (not a lug not).

if you plan on using the longer bolts again, i would simply go by the dealre and pick up 2 new rear hubs and swap them back and forth as required.
Old 06-21-11, 06:03 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 23 Posts

Rotor removal time friend.
Old 06-21-11, 09:20 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Infinirx, you stay in hot water! Have you started fitting the Wald parts yet?
Old 06-21-11, 10:34 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Carver
Infinirx, you stay in hot water! Have you started fitting the Wald parts yet?
Yeah doing it with a friend in the morning.

Yes they are the most perfect fitting kit I have every test fitted. Just the rear stays in place without bolts. No driving around of course.
Old 06-22-11, 09:08 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Better post pics...
Old 06-22-11, 01:46 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Well I was actually gonna bring the kit with me to my friends and install it there today after the lug replacements but I felt it could wait. Started at about 8am and finished around 11:30. I actually took the opportunity to help and learn a bit. Learned how to change my own breaks and rotors. Don;t have enough took or memory to do it all myself yet but I am pretty sure with the right tools I would handle it

Thanks for the help guys. So nice to be on stocks again. Till I have to make any kind of sharp turns then I miss my wider wheels.
Old 06-22-11, 04:40 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those chromes will look great with the kit, hell, they look good anyway.
Old 06-22-11, 04:49 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Why the change, infinirx? I like the stock wheels, BTW. You're Carver's twin now
Old 06-22-11, 04:57 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Huh??????? Hmmmm I dunno if I posted here. Might not have but I think I have. My AWD is freaking out with the Staggered wheels and at the ride height there is natural camber on the front drivers and rear passengers that ate through most of the inner walls. It was super dangerous to drive with the front drivers tire basically keeping air from some godly thing cause there was a rip in it.

My wheels kept slipping every day at down hill curves and what not. Go over speed bumps. Just horrible.

Oh and I got new wheels being made just for my car....

PS so wheels are for sale!!! I recommend FWD or to only be on springs like H&R if your AWD cause on the air my ride height just causes too much trouble. If anyone is interested let me know
Old 06-22-11, 05:16 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

New wheels being made just for your car? Wow, that's amazing. Sucks your old wheels gave you so many problems. I guess that's why I stay stock. I'm not complaining Good luck with yours. Even with the stock rims, your RX looks great.
Old 06-22-11, 06:00 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah no spacers needed with went did a dry fitting and calculated sizes so I could maximize my lip size but keep it safe for the AWD and still have a staggered look. Spacers were a huge problem over time.

The stock wheels are ok. Not bad looking but they are just stock. Very rarely do I ever see stock wheels as something to show off and since the car is a "build" and hopefully being picked up for sponsorship for the SEMA show this fall I need new shoes

Here is a Tease:

Mine will be Step lip and flat faced. No 3D star in the middle. Still 21's 3D cut, forged 3 piece. polished step lip rim, polished side of spoke but brushed face and clear coat. It's gonna be super detailed. Also I am using a Red center cap. You'll see.

Seem to be the best all around size for looks and performance. 22's make for thinner tires and thus even worse ride than it already was on 21's (yuck). 22's would have provided a better looking fit though. But I daily the car so comfort over looks thanks.

So there you go...

PS: Couple of samples on other cars. Remember mine will be step lip. I think a better option. Making for more depth.

In gold. Flat metal

On a Lambo This company is serious lol!!

Last edited by infinirx; 06-22-11 at 06:17 PM.

Quick Reply: switching out lugs(bolts) to stock in the rear. Do I have to remove the rotor???