RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Timing belt change nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-15, 04:13 PM
grushko
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my girlfriend 04 rx330 timng belt with water pump was replaced by lexus dealership. 10k miles later car stole on highway. Turns out water pump was defective and start leaking water, coming right to the crankshaft seal. Seal got destroyed and water with oil ruined timing belt (ripped it very badly). Luckly none of the vales got bended. Put new seals everywhere (besides rear cam seal, figured not worth taking it apart), replaced water pump, tensioners and timing belt. Car is running good now. To take water pump out I had to remove few bolts from the inner camshaft cover and was able to slide thing off. Hardest part was putting timing belt it. Took me an hour and tons of reinstallation, before it went correctly. But honestly whole procedure is not bad at all!
Old 06-06-16, 07:20 AM
brianmch
Driver

So here is my tale of woe.

I've done some t-belts before on other cars and that plus research here on the forum and the helpful videos before I figured I'd have it in a couple days (I'm slow).

Wellll. After 2 days of effort I could NOT get that dang crank bolt off. Made the tool (it takes 20 min or so with the drill press to drill the hole) used #8 1.25 thread 20mm bolts for the keepers, and could not get that mother to budge. Started with 3/8 impact, no go. 3/8 breaker, no go, 3/8 using 1/2 inch bar, 2' long, succeeded in breaking 2 1/2 to 3/8 adapters. Next day, 1/2 in craftsman electric ratchet, no go. 1/2 drive #22 with breaker, 4' of extension, PB plaster, and heat won't break it loose. I'm afraid to go much further and will now take it to a shop. My Ford mechanic buddy thought they may have toqued it to 180-200. I'm guessing it is pretty far north of that. I'm fairly strong and had a helper beating my 5' total lever length with a 5lb sledge to no avail.

I figure at this point if someone is going to break it I want it to be someone with deeper pockets than me and a repair warranty in case they beat it and f-up my crank.

Also, I looked pretty hard to find the thermostat replacement diagram. Surprisingly scarce. Shocker is that it is on the right side of the engine under several hoses. The lower radiator hose connects to a plastic tube that is the outside of the housing. It's a pain to get to like everything else. I ordered a "genuine" parts kit from fleabay and the t-stat was too big. I even measured it with the original using digi calipers, and had to file the mounting flange smaller down to make-fit.

These are why I figured it would take 2 days. But now it's gonna be longer than that and $1K because of that dang bolt. Grrr..
Old 06-07-16, 04:41 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by brianmch
So here is my tale of woe.

I've done some t-belts before on other cars and that plus research here on the forum and the helpful videos before I figured I'd have it in a couple days (I'm slow).

Wellll. After 2 days of effort I could NOT get that dang crank bolt off. Made the tool (it takes 20 min or so with the drill press to drill the hole) used #8 1.25 thread 20mm bolts for the keepers, and could not get that mother to budge. Started with 3/8 impact, no go. 3/8 breaker, no go, 3/8 using 1/2 inch bar, 2' long, succeeded in breaking 2 1/2 to 3/8 adapters. Next day, 1/2 in craftsman electric ratchet, no go. 1/2 drive #22 with breaker, 4' of extension, PB plaster, and heat won't break it loose. I'm afraid to go much further and will now take it to a shop. My Ford mechanic buddy thought they may have toqued it to 180-200. I'm guessing it is pretty far north of that. I'm fairly strong and had a helper beating my 5' total lever length with a 5lb sledge to no avail.

I figure at this point if someone is going to break it I want it to be someone with deeper pockets than me and a repair warranty in case they beat it and f-up my crank.

Also, I looked pretty hard to find the thermostat replacement diagram. Surprisingly scarce. Shocker is that it is on the right side of the engine under several hoses. The lower radiator hose connects to a plastic tube that is the outside of the housing. It's a pain to get to like everything else. I ordered a "genuine" parts kit from fleabay and the t-stat was too big. I even measured it with the original using digi calipers, and had to file the mounting flange smaller down to make-fit.

These are why I figured it would take 2 days. But now it's gonna be longer than that and $1K because of that dang bolt. Grrr..
This is what I used. It is on there with what felt like 300 ft/lbs.
Amazon.com: Ingersoll Rand 231G Edge Series 1/2-Inch Air Impactool: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Ingersoll Rand 231G Edge Series 1/2-Inch Air Impactool: Home Improvement

Took less than 10 seconds to get off. I have used several electric impacts in the past and they are considerably less powerfully than the air powered ones. My old Dewalt 1/2" electric impact was not able to remove that crank bolt and my RX is a rust free FL car.

Last edited by smassey321; 06-07-16 at 04:45 AM.
Old 06-07-16, 05:08 AM
brianmch
Driver

we tried a snap-on 1/2 in impact and it didn't budge. My dad used to be a snap-on dealer and impact wrench was basically new: good seals, etc. My compressor probably didn't generate enough power.

As a last ditch we braced the breaker against the ground and turned the engine over. Still no go.

The shop I'm taking it to is across from a diesel mechanic who has some 1" gear. Maybe that'll do it.

I also called Lexus and the mechanic said its a counter-clockwise thread, or a typical lefty loosey. So I'm going the right way.

Got it buttoned back up and drove some last night. No funky noises so if we damaged anything it wasn't immediately apparent.
Old 06-08-16, 03:54 AM
Braz60
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Which kit should I buy?

This one from Amazon for $171.53 which includes hydraulic tensioner http://https://www.amazon.com/Aisin-...ype=automotive

Or from Rock Auto without hydraulic tensioner for $121.79 http://http://www.rockauto.com/en/mo...421312&jsn=366

Is the Hydraulic tensioner necessary?

Last edited by Braz60; 06-08-16 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Adding to post
Old 06-13-16, 04:05 AM
NOsburn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus belt change

I was a mechanic and even taught heavy vehicle maintenance before finding a better way to make a living. I pick and choose what I am going to tackle, and the timing belt is not one of them. We had an ES330 and still have a SC430. Both had the timing belt/water pump done at a Lexus dealer! I was not going to tackle that especially on the ES330. Even being retired, more time than money, I think the dealer mechanic earns it...
Ozzie
Old 06-13-16, 07:28 PM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How much does the dealer charge for a timing belt change?
Old 06-14-16, 03:24 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

About $1.5K at least.
Old 06-14-16, 07:22 AM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Did you used to be on miata.net?

$1500, woof. Luckily one of my independent mechanics is toyota certified but has his own shop.
Old 06-14-16, 04:10 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

The timing belt is where independent's shine.

Going from memory (it was about 18 months ago), in the Denver metro area, here was the approximate pricing I encountered with timing belt, water pump, tensioner, new belts, etc:

-$500-$600 (Independent specializing in Toyota/Lexus)
-$700-$800 (Toyota)
-$1400-$1500 (Lexus)
Old 06-15-16, 08:09 AM
brianmch
Driver

The independent I used charged $430 labor and used my parts kit, the 11 piece with cam and crank seals, tensioner assembly, tbelt, wpump/seal, & 2 other belts. I did the thermostat myself when my helper was buttoning up the tbelt area.

The mechanic said he spent 3 hours getting the crank bolt loose. Used heat and a 1" drive setup he borrowed from the semi-repair shop next door!

He said that it was over-tight because it hadn't been done before and that I should have been able to do it with what I had and my skillset. But he's earned my business for future stuff even if less convenient than some closer guys I used to use.

Last edited by brianmch; 06-15-16 at 08:10 AM. Reason: addt'l info
Old 06-15-16, 08:10 AM
brianmch
Driver

the parts kit was abt $250 so I'm in it for $680. A screaming cheap deal given my local Lexus dealer wanted $1500.
Old 06-16-16, 03:28 AM
Braz60
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brianmch
the parts kit was abt $250 so I'm in it for $680. A screaming cheap deal given my local Lexus dealer wanted $1500.
Where did you purchase your Timing belt kit from? About to have my Timing belt and Water pump changed
Old 06-16-16, 07:41 AM
brianmch
Driver

Fleabay...

ry, paid a little more for it than I remembered. Shipping was super fast. I bought that one because it had the cam and crank seals and figured it was good to replace them since I would be in there.

Word of caution: the thermostat didn't fit. Measured with digi calps and the flange was too big. Had to file smaller while keeping it round. I may have a small leak and will need to go to the local parts store for a new one. The thermostat is kind of a pain to get to cuz its on the right side of the engine under the intake.
Old 06-16-16, 02:39 PM
arsooner
Driver School Candidate

2006 RX 400h:

1. I understand the crank bolt can be a bear but my 580lb impact (air) took mine right off.
2. Putting the new belt on is really easy, at least it was this way for me:
Be sure everything TDC/lined up before you take off the old belt.
New belt needs to have cam and crank lines on it. Most all top-of-the line ones do.
Put the belt on the rear cam (belt line w/gear mark (plastic tie it/clamp it); go under the bearing and up to the front cam gear, line up belt line w/gear mark (plastic tie it); if the front mark is on the gear mark (1) and the line on the belt (2) lines up with the rear cover mark (3), (1-2-3) the rear cam has to be TDC; belt should be tight between the cam gears; go around the water pump to the crank; be sure the crank is TDC (inter-sprocket) and the belt crank lines, line up w/dot on outer sprocket. Everything should be tight from the rear cam to crank. The belt slack should be between the crank and rear cam gear. Install tensioner bearing and tensioner. Check all the belt lines, gear marks, rear cover marks and block crank mark for TDC; if all are good, you are good to pull the pin. Works for me. **The plastic ties/clamps are the trick** If I have missed something let me know.

Also worked great on our 2001 RX 300...................

Last edited by arsooner; 06-20-16 at 07:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Timing belt change nightmare