RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Negotiating on a CPO RX350

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-11, 07:26 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to say this, but curb rash on the wheels is not a warranty item in any way. They are not required to disclose this to you. It is your responsibility to check over the entire car before signing the papers. I'm afraid you don't have much ground to stand on, and should hope maybe they goodwill this to you. Other than that, you will be on your own with this issue.
Old 07-16-11, 08:35 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4cyl
I hate to say this, but curb rash on the wheels is not a warranty item in any way. They are not required to disclose this to you. It is your responsibility to check over the entire car before signing the papers. I'm afraid you don't have much ground to stand on, and should hope maybe they goodwill this to you. Other than that, you will be on your own with this issue.
When buying a CPO car, there is a checklist, and on that checklist there are many things. One of them is the condition of the wheels. There are colums stating "lexus standard, needs repair, or needs replacement". I'll be very surprised that a CPO car with significant curb rashes on all wheels meets "lexus standards".

Since the condition of the wheels had significant rash, they were not repaired/reconditioned, and not disclosed, I think I have a pretty strong case. If they chose not to, I'll go the route of contacting Corportate Lexus (which I'm sure the dealer won't want), and also exposing the lies that the internet manager gave to me, being 400 miles away. Keep in mind, this is a CPO, and not just a used lexus car.
Old 07-16-11, 09:37 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

The CPO I was trying to buy had condensation in the headlights. Just shows you that CPO means different things to different dealerships...Then They wanted to charge me for fixing the headlamp...I went a bought a Carmax car that was in better shape than the CPO and was $5k cheaper...
Old 07-16-11, 09:41 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cpmd
When buying a CPO car, there is a checklist, and on that checklist there are many things. One of them is the condition of the wheels. There are colums stating "lexus standard, needs repair, or needs replacement". I'll be very surprised that a CPO car with significant curb rashes on all wheels meets "lexus standards".

Since the condition of the wheels had significant rash, they were not repaired/reconditioned, and not disclosed, I think I have a pretty strong case. If they chose not to, I'll go the route of contacting Corportate Lexus (which I'm sure the dealer won't want), and also exposing the lies that the internet manager gave to me, being 400 miles away. Keep in mind, this is a CPO, and not just a used lexus car.
The only problem with this defense is the fact that the dealer could say the wheels were in good shape, and that you caused the rash. Not saying you did, but just saying.

CPO or not, checklist or not, I don't purchase a used vehicle without checking front to back before signing papers.
Old 07-16-11, 10:37 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Originally Posted by thomas1
The CPO I was trying to buy had condensation in the headlights. Just shows you that CPO means different things to different dealerships...Then They wanted to charge me for fixing the headlamp...I went a bought a Carmax car that was in better shape than the CPO and was $5k cheaper...
That's very sad that the dealer wanted to charge you for a completely warrantable item. They should have replaced it no questions asked. I could have bought the same car at different dealers that are non-CPO, but chose CPO thinking lexus dealerships really did recondition the car, and the piece of mind warranty. Since this is the first time I'm buying CPO, I didn't know of the issues that people had until I searched. I actually gave the benefit of the doubt to this "award winning" dealership, but we all learn from our lessons.

The only problem with this defense is the fact that the dealer could say the wheels were in good shape, and that you caused the rash. Not saying you did, but just saying.

CPO or not, checklist or not, I don't purchase a used vehicle without checking front to back before signing papers.
In yesterdays email, the internet manager who I dealt with admitted there was curb rash when they gave me the car. I actually asked them how the condition of the wheels were when I was going back and forth on emails about the car, and didn't get a response. Now I know why they chose not to mention it.

Like I said before, 1 wheel rash, no big deal, but like all 4, that's not cool at all.
Old 07-18-11, 09:21 AM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Gotta agree with lil4cyl. CPO doesn't mean the car is mint and unless you have anything in writing i doubt you'll get anywhere, good luck though because OEM rims aren't cheap. Even though the manager did admit to the curb rash it does nothing for you unless you have something that says the rims were mint.
Old 07-18-11, 12:10 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Well, I spoke with the internet sales manager whom I bought the car from. After much deliberation, they agreed to refinish the wheels at the place where they do it, but i would have to drive basically 7 hrs, stay overnight, and then drive 7 hrs back again. How much does it cost to refinish wheels that have bad curb rash on 3/4 wheels? Do you guys think it would be worth the drive to have them refinished?

Originally Posted by stunt66
Gotta agree with lil4cyl. CPO doesn't mean the car is mint and unless you have anything in writing i doubt you'll get anywhere, good luck though because OEM rims aren't cheap. Even though the manager did admit to the curb rash it does nothing for you unless you have something that says the rims were mint.
I do have a written statement from the internet sales manager stating that the "wheels are great". Also, I do have a contradicting statement from them stating "the wheels had curb rash on them..." after the sale of the car.

I didn't think the car was mint, but you simply have to know what to expect from a CPO and what not in order to make a valid argument though.
Old 07-19-11, 10:28 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Well looking on CL, it seems like around $75-100/ wheel for the repairs, which would outweigh the driving trip back to the dealer (trip cost would be around $300). I responded to the internet manager that driving that far to the dealership isn't acceptable, so we will see what they come back with. Interestingly, when I asked to have a copy of the CPO checklist mailed to me, they claimed that they don't give out copies (which I then informed them that lexus.com claims the customer is supposed to get), so they flat out lied again.

I'm not sure how they received the "elite of lexus" award yearly but unfortunately, when a problem was present, the internet manager was very rude, talking over me, ridiculing me that I cared about the issues and that "most people wouldn't care...", etc.

Either way, I will still contact lexus corporate as they need to know about these issues.
Old 08-01-11, 12:57 PM
tonynyc99
Driver School Candidate

Default '09 CPO RX350 - decent price?

Hi all,

I found this forum too late but would like a critique. I bought a white ext/gray int 09 RX350 CPO in NYC a few weeks ago. Has 40K, Prem Pkg, Nav and has almost no nicks/marks on the body. I got the car for 31K + TTL (dealer wanted 33K) and wonder if that was a decent price.

Decent price or did I get hosed? Dealer claimed that CPOs are still hot in NYC and they move quickly.

Tony
Old 08-01-11, 01:26 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Simply on the value of the negotiation, you cut 6.1%. A good one starts @ 10% off.
Old 08-01-11, 02:14 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tonynyc99
Hi all,

I found this forum too late but would like a critique. I bought a white ext/gray int 09 RX350 CPO in NYC a few weeks ago. Has 40K, Prem Pkg, Nav and has almost no nicks/marks on the body. I got the car for 31K + TTL (dealer wanted 33K) and wonder if that was a decent price.

Decent price or did I get hosed? Dealer claimed that CPOs are still hot in NYC and they move quickly.

Tony
Welcome to Club Lexus, Tony in NYC.

Are you happy with your deal and were you treated well? Counts for something. Some individuals forgo the CPO process to help keep the price low. With it, you have some peace of mind regarding future problems.

Here are some tips...

You can take your RX anywhere you want for service. If you like your dealer and need loaner cars that may be a way to go. If the local Toyota dealership has quick change oil service and that is of interest to you go ahead.

Register your vehicle online with Lexus at:
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

You can add your own servicing items there as well.

Use the search feature of the forums here. If you have a question it may have already been asked. So, search first. Yes, you will see a lot of bad things. However, do not worry. Those without problems are more numerous.

You have a timing chain and not a timing belt. So, no worries at 90K for that service.
Old 08-02-11, 05:00 PM
nmtomcat
Rookie

Default Lexus Certified Pre-owned program

My experience with the Lexus CPO program made me wonder if it was worth what it costs (whatever that is).

I purchased a CPO 2009 Lexus RX with just over 62,000 miles. Although it had a lot of miles, it looked and drove like it had fewer miles. The salesman told me about the CPO program, about all the checks they do, the warranty, and the road service. It sounded good, especially with that many miles. A test drive and a walk-around showed it to be in great shape, inside and out, although one headlight had water in it. They promised to replace the headlight. While I was sitting at his desk, the salesman told me it had new Michelin tires. I took him at his word and didn't go back outside and check. My thoughts about buying a CPO Lexus was that having new tires would save me about $1000 dollers, and the 3-year/100,000 mile warranty should protect me from any major expense.

About three weeks later, my wife mentioned that the tires certainly were not new, as I had told her. I took the RX back to the dealer, but the salesman "did not remember" telling me the tires were new, and they wouldn't do anything. Interestingly, their tread depth guage showed 5/32 of wear left, while my guage showed 3/32.

Just recently, I decided to have the RX aligned at an alignment shop that had done good work for me in the past. I waited for the job to be done, and the mechanic came out and told me the front brakes were 80% worn out and the rear ones 70%. I took it back to the dealer, and after taking it in the shop and measring the pads, looking at the CPO check sheet, and a long discussion between the service writer and service manager, they agreed to replace the front brake pads at no charge. The CPO checklist showed very different figures on the brake wear than what it had now. I had only driven it about 2600 miles since purchasing.

During my discussions with the service writer, he asked why I had taken the car to an alignment shop, rather than bring it to them. He also told me it had been aligned just before I bought it. I told him the car had wandered all over the road since I bought it, which made me wonder if they had really aligned it or "cut some corners" and just marked it as being aligned. The shop that aligned it said it was way out of alignment.

Between the water in the headlight, the worn brakes, and the out of alignment condition, I questioned if the CPO checks had actually been done. I discovered that the mechanic that did the checks was no longer with the dealer and his manager was not with them either. I usually have a used car checked over by my mechanic, but the CPO "sounded" so good, I didn't do it this time.

I haven't gotten a copy of the CPO checklist, but I think that will be on tomorrow's to-do list.

Neal Brown
Old 08-02-11, 07:39 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by nmtomcat
My experience with the Lexus CPO program made me wonder if it was worth what it costs (whatever that is).
Be sure to call Lexus Corporate and voice your complaints. Only way dealers like this will be kept in line.
Old 08-03-11, 06:10 PM
tonynyc99
Driver School Candidate

RX330inFL,

Thanks for the information. Very helpful. My purchasing experience was good (no pressure) and the salesperson and finance guy was very professional. I bought the car because of the quality and nice ride and room inside. I just wasn't too sure how much Lexus dealers haggle- I was only able to knock $2K off (maybe the smelled a novice buyer a mile away.) I did get CPO to reduce any headaches along the road, so I don't regret getting it. I am the nervous nelly types anyway.

One thing I would like to point out is that I learned (after the fact) that Carfax service items don't list everything the Lexus service log shows. The Carfax didn't show a one-time leak repair and some other small items. I won't sweat it though- I just hope that my investment is very reliable!
Old 08-03-11, 07:43 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nmtomcat
I haven't gotten a copy of the CPO checklist, but I think that will be on tomorrow's to-do list.

Neal Brown
Neal, I think I posted somewhere else in this thread that the dealer probably generates an internal invoice for all the work done as part of the CPO prep. You should ask for a copy of that as well since it's probably a little more accurate insofar as the actual work performed on the car.

I regret that you may have credibility and performance issues with your dealer but I would agree with RX330inFL that the corporation should know your situation (in detail). I would be surprised if you don't receive complete satisfaction somehow. I can attest from my own recent purchase that the dealer experience can be very good. Not perfect, but very good.

Quick Reply: Negotiating on a CPO RX350