RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

fixed many issues today - AFS off light, TPMS light, brake job

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-11, 06:29 PM
kevintown
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fixed many issues today - AFS off light, TPMS light, brake job

AFS off light, and TPMS light sometimes come on, so today when replace the brake pads i decided to fix the flashing lights.

Both the dealer in Englewood NJ and some local mechanics do my oil change and inspection told me i have to replace my brake pads. Dealer told me only less than 3mm left in all four wheels, and local shop told me less than 10% left. So i went to Star Toyota in little neck NY bought the brake pads and decided to replace the pads as per the instructions on this site.

To my surprise, when i opened the brake calipers, i found many brake meat left on the pads in both front and rear, and then i compared to the new pads. Almost half still there! WTF! both the dealer and the shop lied to me. That's why i never trusted them to do any easy jobs... ok, i guess i have to wait another year to use the pads. Anyone interested i can also sell the pads to you at par ($120 four wheels)

Then move on to the AFS off problem, which is a common issue related to the autolevel (heigh control) sensor. I did some search and found one Pirus forum write up with photos, took the sensor out in 2 mins and took it apart. Found 2 out of 3 springs completely metled in the case, cleaned the contacts and tried several times but the sensor was still bad with AFS light on...since i hate dealer so much (another $300 donation for the sensor), i decided to use the last resort to replace the sensor with the resistors. Did another search found a great chart on lexusownerclub.com. drove to radio shack and bought a bag of over 1000 resistors for just two 560ohm resistors... put the resistors in as the attached pic, finally the AFS is off. I really don't think the height control is useful, since 99.9% of the time my car's weight is in normal range.

Then did more search about the TPMS. Every time it comes on, my pressure is right. most of the time is when the temperature is high, and when i drove off the highway. So i guess it might be the spare tire, lowered it and pumped some air in. I'll wait and see whether it will come back some time.

Ok, today's easy jobs saved me at least $1000! thanks to clublexus and lexusownerclub!
Attached Thumbnails fixed many issues today - AFS off light, TPMS light, brake job-resistor.png  
Old 07-10-11, 08:42 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That pretty scandalous about the brake pad thing, things must be really tough for a Lexus dealer to have to lie about brake pads to generate a few hundred bucks. You should have taken pics and mailed them to the owner. I would imagine he wouldn't want to risk his franchise over petty theft by the service department.
Old 07-10-11, 10:13 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

this is the biggest reason I dread getting older! May not be able to service my vehicle anymore,and be at the mercy of pinheads like these!
Old 11-17-12, 01:32 PM
alanianlau
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told that all my break pads are less than 3mm and authorized the work. I will pick up my car in about 2 hours. What can I do at this point to be sure that I was not taken in by the dealer? I am in for my 30,000 mile servie (at 29,425 miles).
Old 11-17-12, 05:38 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't trust Lexus dealerships, they are always looking out for their bottom line. In Aug 2011 at 48373 miles I had the carpet clip recall done at a California Bay Area dealership. When I picked it up they informed me that the "brakes were yellow" (I asked what does that mean? He said they are 3mm and should be replaced). I told them I couldn't do it at that time. Advance forward...I had all four tires replaced last week at 58005 miles and the tire shop measured the pads at 4mm. It's true I need to replace the pads sometime this year, but I can assure you it won't be at the Lexus dealership.
Old 11-17-12, 07:50 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Always ask for the old parts. If they are worn it will be real obvious.
Old 11-17-12, 10:06 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's to pay for those fancy Lexus hand towels (I keep taking oops I mean borrowing) from the Englewood dealership, and the fancy Lexus water bottles, and a the leather seats along with the multiple TV's. lol.

I stopped going to Tri County and decided to try Englewood now it looks like I may have to go some where else. Bummer man.

Happy to read that you saved a bunch of time and money doing it yourself.