RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Leather Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 06:43 AM
JoshuaMZX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Maintenance

I have an 05 RX with black leather interior. Since i purchased it I have cleaned and conditioned the leather once and i see the front seats starting to crack and wrinkle. How often should I condition the leather? I also live in the northeast so conditioning in cold wheather is next to impossible. Any recommendations as to how I can keep the leather in good condition?
Old 07-14-11, 07:12 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in Canada so I will explain what I do. In the summer months I will coat all of the leather with Lexol conditioner and leave all of the windows rolled up and leave the vehcile in the sun for 4-6 hours the conditioner just soaks into the leather. I do this monthly

In the winter it is a little more difficult; but I will turn on the heated seats on the drive home and increase the interior temperature. Once I'm home I put the conditioner on the leather and leave it overnight

I hope this helps
Old 07-14-11, 08:16 AM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default We use Armor All Leather Care

Originally Posted by JoshuaMZX
I have an 05 RX with black leather interior. Since i purchased it I have cleaned and conditioned the leather once and i see the front seats starting to crack and wrinkle. How often should I condition the leather? I also live in the northeast so conditioning in cold wheather is next to impossible. Any recommendations as to how I can keep the leather in good condition?
on my wife's Sienna.

1x every other month works well. Just got thru doing my daughter's RX and looks great.

I had an Acura TL and was diligent about leather, except for cleaning...and it cracked b/c of dirt, sweat, etc. Its one thing to have it (re)oiled but another to clean it correctly then reoil.
Old 07-14-11, 08:36 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Highly recommend Leatherique conditioner and cleaner...very expensive though...Look for it on line.
Old 07-14-11, 08:38 AM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by diverchris
I live in Canada so I will explain what I do. In the summer months I will coat all of the leather with Lexol conditioner and leave all of the windows rolled up and leave the vehcile in the sun for 4-6 hours the conditioner just soaks into the leather. I do this monthly

In the winter it is a little more difficult; but I will turn on the heated seats on the drive home and increase the interior temperature. Once I'm home I put the conditioner on the leather and leave it overnight

I hope this helps
Since it soaks in, you don't need to wipe it up do you? Also, do you just a cloth to spread the conditioner around the seat?
Old 07-14-11, 09:59 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I thought these were top coated and only needed an occasional cleaning? I.E woolite and water.
Old 07-14-11, 10:16 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Indeed, the function of the coating on Lexus leather is to seal against all those bad things that can attack leather but reality is like everything else on your car it begins to deteriorate and wear immediately. Nowhere more so than on the driver's seat bolster.

As it wears and cracks bad things begin to happen but at the same time the leather becomes more receptive to conditioning.

I use Leatherique once a year and clean the seats with a barely damp cloth each time I wash the car. I am going to condition the 330 in August and I'll post pics of what is really a ridiculous process.
Old 07-14-11, 11:38 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver
I use Leatherique once a year and clean the seats with a barely damp cloth each time I wash the car. I am going to condition the 330 in August and I'll post pics of what is really a ridiculous process.
Perfect, because I'm about to do mine in a few weeks. The leather on the 3rd gen wrinkles worse than the 2nd gen This will be my first time using Leatherique. Prior products have included 303, Sonax or Optimum applied at least once a month.
Old 07-14-11, 12:15 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adam8065
Since it soaks in, you don't need to wipe it up do you? Also, do you just a cloth to spread the conditioner around the seat?
I apply the Lexol with my hands and since it soaks in I do not need to wipe it off
Old 07-14-11, 12:58 PM
JoshuaMZX
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses especially the guy from Canada. I do not remember the name brand but the last time I did it, i used a leather cleaner and terry cloth and then immediately applied the conditioner using another terry cloth in the hot sun. The leather soaked it up like it was the Arazona desert.
Old 07-14-11, 01:58 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I use Zymol cleaner and then conditioner.
Old 07-15-11, 06:42 AM
JoshuaMZX
Driver School Candidate

Hey mandyfig,
Do you have any pics of your RX? I'd be interested in checking out some of your mod's.
Thanks
Old 07-18-11, 10:18 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

OEM lexus leather cleaner/conditioner
Old 07-18-11, 12:11 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My two cents - I use Zaino ("Leather Soft" spray cleaner and "Leather in a Bottle" - it's really uncanny how the Leather in a Bottle actually smells like new leather)
Old 07-18-11, 02:02 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaMZX
Hey mandyfig,
Do you have any pics of your RX? I'd be interested in checking out some of your mod's.
Thanks
I really do not have a lot of mods:

1. Mud guards.
2. Shaved top, no racks.
3. Leather-wood shift **** from an LX470.
4. TC Grille.
5. Form Fit Deflector.
6. Lexus 7 Spoke Liquid Graphite rims.
7. Lexus all weather mats.

Quick Reply: Leather Maintenance