RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Struts - Coolant Leak - Styrofoam in Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-11, 05:55 AM
ManXP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Here is THE FIRST sentence in the article which says all: Luxury vehicle is a MARKETING TERM.

You remember old days when MB introduced CLS? They called it "world's first 4dr coupe", LOL. But does it really mean that CLS is a coupe?
Old 08-08-11, 06:33 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ManXP
Well, I strongly disagree with you in some points.

Yes, they will. Local Lexus dealer told me they can install non original parts on my car if I wish (I will need to find and buy parts myself, of course).

Their service level isn't higher. It's exactly the same as with ANY other dealer. Do they send you a girl to give a blo*job for you while you are waiting for car to be repaired? I don't think so. They operate THE SAME way as other dealers. I also have experience with Audi, BMW, Jaguar and VW dealers, and Lexus isn't any better.

It's a myth. Today's Lexs cars are not so much reliable, they try saving money on each single thing and quality gets lower and lover. In other hand, the same applies to BMW, Mercedes and other brands.

Since when Lexus is considered as a luxury vehicle? I know Lexus WANTS people to think their vehicles are luxurious, but Lexus is nothing else but Toyota with better quality material. Luxurious brands are Maserati, Bentley, RR ar similar. Brands like BMW, MB, Lexus or similar are not luxurious for most of people. I drive Lexus myself, and when one of my friends told me that I'm driving a luxurious vehicle, I laughed at him... Unlike really luxurious brands, they make average vehicles for average people. And there is NOTHING wrong with it!
Ok, I wasn't going to say anything but your ignorance is too much to bear.

Where did you hear that Lexus isn't a luxury vehicle..... If you don't like Lexus, then go ahead and sell it. There is no need to ruin the experience for others.

Last edited by hypervish; 08-08-11 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-08-11, 06:34 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Here is THE FIRST sentence in the article which says all: Luxury vehicle is a MARKETING TERM.

You remember old days when MB introduced CLS? They called it "world's first 4dr coupe", LOL. But does it really mean that CLS is a coupe?
They are saying that in general for all makes not just for Lexus. It's basic english, my 4 year cousin could explain that to you...
Old 08-08-11, 08:29 AM
gusar
Driver

And regarding the Lexus ORIGINAL parts - many of them produced by some third party, not Lexus at all. If you select the manufactures for spare parts carefully it will be the same quality (even the same REAL manufacturer) and cost you 3 times less.
When I quoted rear wheel hub from Lexus, they ask about $1000, my mechanic bought it for about $300 for me (manufacturer Koyo, I suspect it's the company which supplies Lexus).
Parts from Lexus dealer are ridiculously overpriced.
Old 08-08-11, 08:57 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gusar
And regarding the Lexus ORIGINAL parts - many of them produced by some third party, not Lexus at all. If you select the manufactures for spare parts carefully it will be the same quality (even the same REAL manufacturer) and cost you 3 times less.
When I quoted rear wheel hub from Lexus, they ask about $1000, my mechanic bought it for about $300 for me (manufacturer Koyo, I suspect it's the company which supplies Lexus).
Parts from Lexus dealer are ridiculously overpriced.
Does Lexus original parts include leaking headlight assembly and rear side triangle windows falling out?
Old 08-08-11, 09:03 AM
gusar
Driver

Originally Posted by redrocks
Does Lexus original parts include leaking headlight assembly and rear side triangle windows falling out?
They may
Old 08-08-11, 11:23 AM
ManXP
Driver

Originally Posted by hypervish
Ok, I wasn't going to say anything but your ignorance is too much to bear.

Where did you hear that Lexus isn't a luxury vehicle..... If you don't like Lexus, then go ahead and sell it. There is no need to ruin the experience for others.
Who said I do NOT like it? Have you ever heard of self-criticism? Yes, I drive Lexus because I'm not rich and can't afford driving Pagani or Bugatti (like most of members of this forum), but I realize how funny I will look if I start saying "Hey, I'm rich, I'm driving a luxurious car, just look at my shiny Lexus!"

You must agree; most of us drive Lexus cars because we can't afford (or do NOT want to buy) expensive cars at the moment. However, if you still believe that driving an ordinary car makes you better than someone else, I feel really sorry for you and your family because you can't say to yourself "I can't afford a car which I would really love to have". Unless Lexus is your dream car (what I will never believe anyways).

They make good cars, but that's all, so we shouldn't create a cult of Lexus badge.
Old 08-08-11, 11:27 AM
ManXP
Driver

Originally Posted by gusar
Some guys will never admit it...
Old 08-08-11, 11:43 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

My dream car actually is a Lexus... LoL I know, I don't believe it myself.

It's a Lexus IS-F. Not even an LFA. LOL. I will eventually buy one, I could buy one right now If I wanted but that's something that I don't need right now. I need space and I'd rather not spend 12+ hours in an ISF going cross country every 2 weeks.

I don't want or need nor do I have the money for anything like a bugatti (like you mentioned, so yes I agree with you there).
Old 08-08-11, 01:42 PM
ManXP
Driver

Come on? If you get a BILLION of dollars, would you still list ISF as your dream car?
Old 08-08-11, 02:03 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Honestly, yes I would still get the ISF. Ok, so maybe the LFA. But nonetheless still a Lexus!

I'd get the rest of the money, and spend it on something else. I like my Lexus's what can I say. Toyota/Lexus have treated me well, my dad's 92' Toyota Corolla saved his life a few years ago, when an 18 wheeler hit him. The car was totaled nothing left of it, but he got out unscathed. I'm Toyota/Lexus for life. Nothing's gonna change my mind. They are reliable, safe and fit my needs just perfectly. No reason to buy a ridiculously expensive car, that goes ridiculously fast, and gets 3 mpg (exaggeration). I don't want to be the snobby guy next door driving (insert name of most expensive car here). I don't need a fancy, expensive car... Lexus is good enough for me!
Old 08-08-11, 07:03 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

of those 3 things wrong with the car..I would work on the coolant leak and styrofoarm myself.

Coolant leak....you might luck out and just find you need a new hose or retighten a hose clamp. Get a flashlight and scoot under the car and try to see where the coolant is leaking out. There might be a stain/corrosion where it is happening.

As far as the styrofoarm...go to home depot and get a can of "great stuff" expanding foam insulation. Crawl under the car and find a hole in the rear bumper where you can pump A LITTLE of the foam in there. Wait 5 minutes with paper towels, in case it leaks out. If it still seems loose, find another hole and squirt some in. Worst case, you get a little mess on you hands or a littles squeezes out onto the outside of the bumper. If you are quick and have some rubbing alcohol handy, even that will come off.

As far as the strut...if the car really is handling poorly...you might have to pay them to replace the. Struts are a little hard to do yourself because the spring, with all its force, is there making it very hard to work on!!!
Old 08-08-11, 07:50 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

You can get the struts with spring from a junkyard and put it in yourself. It'll save you money.
Old 08-08-11, 09:40 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

You must agree; most of us drive Lexus cars because we can't afford (or do NOT want to buy) expensive cars at the moment. However, if you still believe that driving an ordinary car makes you better than someone else, I feel really sorry for you and your family because you can't say to yourself "I can't afford a car which I would really love to have". Unless Lexus is your dream car (what I will never believe anyways).
It all depends. To you a Lexus is an ordinary vehicle, because you have one. For the guy driving his Camry in the lane next you, Lexus is a luxury vehicle, because he wants one but can't afford it.
Old 08-09-11, 04:22 AM
ManXP
Driver

Well, I don't think it's the real answer. If I have no car and I want to have old VW Golf for several hundred bucks, but still can't afford it,, it doesn't make Golf a luxurious car...

Anyhow, peace...

Quick Reply: Struts - Coolant Leak - Styrofoam in Bumper