RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Struts - Coolant Leak - Styrofoam in Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-11, 09:26 AM
kaliAZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Struts - Coolant Leak - Styrofoam in Bumper

I am a little frustrated with my recent service at Lexus. I took it in for a recall and because I was told my Big O Tires who did my oil change on Sunday that my front struts are leaking. I went to Lexus for them to check it out and they said that my front struts are leaking and my mounts and cushions are worn and that my rears are getting close. I notice my breaks aren't working as well as they should and when I hit bumps it's a little rough, so I'm sure they are worn...but $1400 is so much for me to spend to just replace the front struts/mounts/cushions. How critical is it that I get this fixed right away?

They also told me that I have a coolant leak which is more important than fixing the front struts. He said it was a gasget that needed to be replaced. When I picked up my vehicle I asked him what the part was and he didn't really give me an answer...because I'm sure he knows I am going to shop around. He said that it's the "coolant plate" and said it would be $295 to replace.

Lastly, after I got my car back from Big O tires I had a thud noise in the back of my car every time I'd turn my wheel tight or go over bumps. Lexus said that the styrofoam in my bumper has come loose and is rubbing against the bumper and making that noise and would be $100s to fix (would have to redo the insulation in the bumper). Has anyone heard of this happening before?

I just graduated college and don't have this kind of money to throw away right now and would love to get some opinions/thoughts as what I should do...

It's a 2004 RX330, not 4WD. It has 115K miles on it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-05-11, 09:53 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You must find a reliable independent shop with Lexus trained mechanics. You could ask here or in the regional forums or check locally. You don't say where in AZ you are but if you are in a bigger city there will be some. If you are on a budget finding a reasonable alternative to the dealer is imperative.

You can source aftermarket struts relatively inexpensively if money is tight. There is a set of 4 available on eBay for 135 dollars. You might find a Lexus/Toyota mechanic who can install them for under 350.

Same thing for the "coolant plate" and the bumper. LOL, when I had my RX300 the front license plate pulled loose at the car wash and the dealer wanted 400 dollars to remove the bumper cover and styrofoam and install a new bracket OR (the Lexus mechanic said) I could go to Home Depot and get two moly bolts for 1.58 and put the plate on with those. Those moly bolts lasted 5 years.

In other words, don't panic, we will help you get these things taken care of as cheaply as possible.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-05-11, 11:25 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You said that the brakes aren't working as well as they should. Fixing this should be your first priority. Have an independent shop do the work and have them verify that coolant leak as well.
Old 08-05-11, 11:57 AM
gusar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything said above is correct. Shop around and you will be surprised how Lexus rips you off! You can have parts and repairs done 3-4 time cheaper than at Lexus with the same result.
Recently I had some pain work done on the rear bumper for $200, done by the same guys who do it for Lexus! At the Lexus backyard along with the other Lexus car fixed (which was damaged by Lexus personnel)! Which means Lexus just subcontracts guys to do paint job and than bills you several times more.
Old 08-05-11, 12:27 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,110 Likes on 997 Posts

Guys understand few things:

1. Lexus would not install after-market parts.

2. Typical mode they operate is to replace instead of patch/repair/fine_trouble shoot. This mostly results in higher part cost but can cut down the labor rates as well as dealing with sorry the last repair was not complete etc.

3. Labor rate at dealership are now in access of $100 per hour with rounding up every half hour.

4. High level of customer service means they will charge for their service at a premium rate.

5. If any one thought that Lexus vehicles have low maintenance cost they are confusing higher reliability rate with cost of maintenance.

6. If any one is strapped for cash, they should never own luxury vehicles ... specially when they are out of warranty. Unless you can do the maintenance on your own. Even then expect $1000 per year for repairs [this does not include brake-pads, tires, wipers, battery, oil and filters]

7. Some folks take their Lexus to Toyota to save some money. Nothing wrong with it, other than they should feel proud that they drive a Toyota product and have it serviced by them.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 08-05-11 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-05-11, 12:47 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Very well said, salimshah.
Old 08-05-11, 02:51 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I don’t necessary agree with Salim. I happen to know someone who loves his very, very old Jaguar, purchased used. The car had never seen Jaguar dealer since first day of ownership. In fact, I am not even sure if Jaguar dealer would be able to work on that old model and I would not trust dealer to work on it anyway.
People enjoy BMW-s for fun to drive. Guys with limited budget buy old ones and service at local mechanic. Examples are too many to name. Lexus is not an exception; folks like driving Lexus for comfort, feel of luxury and quietness.

Nevertheless, if you have to fix your not-so-new RX, check-out Craig’s list. I had very good luck with finding Acura certified mechanic who did wonderful job for less than 1/2 of Acura price on major maintenance.
Old 08-05-11, 03:00 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Guys understand few things:

2. Typical mode they operate is to replace instead of patch/repair/fine_trouble shoot. This mostly results in higher part cost but can cut down the labor rates as well as dealing with sorry the last repair was not complete etc.

3. Labor rate at dealership are now in access of $100 per hour with rounding up every half hour.

4. High level of customer service means they will charge for their service at a premium rate.

5. If any one thought that Lexus vehicles have low maintenance cost they are confusing higher reliability rate with cost of maintenance.

6. If any one is strapped for cash, they should never own luxury vehicles ... specially when they are out of warranty. Unless you can do the maintenance on your own. Even then expect $1000 per year for repairs [this does not include brake-pads, tires, wipers, battery, oil and filters]

7. Some folks take their Lexus to Toyota to save some money. Nothing wrong with it, other than they should feel proud that they drive a Toyota product and have it serviced by them.

Salim

I don't agree with number 6 though. I have spent only $1500 in the 5 years I've owned my RX. And, I've put on a lot of miles too about 80,000 miles. That includes everything except gas. It's been a real Toyota, that's for sure. Very reliable, just like all of my other Toyota's.
Old 08-06-11, 04:58 AM
ManXP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I strongly disagree with you in some points.

Yes, they will. Local Lexus dealer told me they can install non original parts on my car if I wish (I will need to find and buy parts myself, of course).

Their service level isn't higher. It's exactly the same as with ANY other dealer. Do they send you a girl to give a blo*job for you while you are waiting for car to be repaired? I don't think so. They operate THE SAME way as other dealers. I also have experience with Audi, BMW, Jaguar and VW dealers, and Lexus isn't any better.

It's a myth. Today's Lexs cars are not so much reliable, they try saving money on each single thing and quality gets lower and lover. In other hand, the same applies to BMW, Mercedes and other brands.

Since when Lexus is considered as a luxury vehicle? I know Lexus WANTS people to think their vehicles are luxurious, but Lexus is nothing else but Toyota with better quality material. Luxurious brands are Maserati, Bentley, RR ar similar. Brands like BMW, MB, Lexus or similar are not luxurious for most of people. I drive Lexus myself, and when one of my friends told me that I'm driving a luxurious vehicle, I laughed at him... Unlike really luxurious brands, they make average vehicles for average people. And there is NOTHING wrong with it!

Last edited by ManXP; 08-06-11 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-06-11, 09:49 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by ManXP

!
You are welcome to disagree, but I will not engage in any discussion that falls below MY standards of civility.

Yes I am a prude, I admit.

Peace

Salim
Old 08-06-11, 10:02 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by hypervish
I don't agree with number 6 though. I have spent only $1500 in the 5 years I've owned my RX. And, I've put on a lot of miles too about 80,000 miles. That includes everything except gas. It's been a real Toyota, that's for sure. Very reliable, just like all of my other Toyota's.

As you average over years the number is less, but in one year you can hit that figure.

Example: For a bit lets pick a brand X import. My coworkers tell me that the repair bill for a brake job [which involved machining] at a the dealership cots him $500 (approximate).
Similarly an A/C repair is $900.

If you change the brand to Lexus and say the inflated factor is 1.2 to 1.5 you get close to my reserve number.

So I stand corrected, and agree with you that my number is not an average per year, but a peak number. Probability further dictates that the chances of some one being hit with double whammy .. and the notorious lurking transmission break down would not be happening.

Salim
Old 08-06-11, 10:28 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

You are welcome to disagree, but I will not engage in any discussion that falls below MY standards of civility.

Yes I am a prude, I admit.

Peace

Salim
x2, i disagree with the OP as well, but I will not stoop down to such a level just to explain to him commonsense.
Old 08-07-11, 03:28 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Since when Lexus is considered as a luxury vehicle? I know Lexus WANTS people to think their vehicles are luxurious, but Lexus is nothing else but Toyota with better quality material. Luxurious brands are Maserati, Bentley, RR ar similar. Brands like BMW, MB, Lexus or similar are not luxurious for most of people. I drive Lexus myself, and when one of my friends told me that I'm driving a luxurious vehicle, I laughed at him... Unlike really luxurious brands, they make average vehicles for average people.
Here you go.
Old 08-07-11, 03:46 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by arnieosp
From that wiki link:

"The Lexus RX was the earliest luxury crossover on the market, and it has since been the best-selling luxury vehicle in the US, so it has inspired similar competitors from rival marques."

Think the RX330 from the OP had seen some hard life prior to their purchase.
Old 08-07-11, 06:45 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, they will. Local Lexus dealer told me they can install non original parts on my car if I wish (I will need to find and buy parts myself, of course).

Their service level isn't higher. It's exactly the same as with ANY other dealer. Do they send you a girl to give a blo*job for you while you are waiting for car to be repaired? I don't think so. They operate THE SAME way as other dealers. I also have experience with Audi, BMW, Jaguar and VW dealers, and Lexus isn't any better.

It's a myth. Today's Lexs cars are not so much reliable, they try saving money on each single thing and quality gets lower and lover. In other hand, the same applies to BMW, Mercedes and other brands.

Since when Lexus is considered as a luxury vehicle? I know Lexus WANTS people to think their vehicles are luxurious, but Lexus is nothing else but Toyota with better quality material. Luxurious brands are Maserati, Bentley, RR ar similar. Brands like BMW, MB, Lexus or similar are not luxurious for most of people. I drive Lexus myself, and when one of my friends told me that I'm driving a luxurious vehicle, I laughed at him... Unlike really luxurious brands, they make average vehicles for average people. And there is NOTHING wrong with it!
ManXP,

I agree with your points. Premium service would not forget to put clips or bolts back where they came from. Lexus is so, so overrated => no better than the next guy. Oh boy, free starbucks coffee, donuts, soda, ice cream, fruits, etc? I didn't buy a Lexus for the little freebies.

Quick Reply: Struts - Coolant Leak - Styrofoam in Bumper