RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Wheels Spacers/Adapters

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-11, 04:22 PM
AQ043
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels Spacers/Adapters

Has anyone used wheel spacers/adapters? I would like to bring out the factory wheels on my RX just a bit to fill in the wheel well. Ebay has thousands for sale. I plan to go with a good brand and ones that are hubscentric. I just need to know what size to go with. They go by mm. I'm having a hard time determining what will be the right size... I definately don't want people to tell the wheels are sticking out more than usual, just want it to look stock as possible with a clean look.
Old 08-09-11, 05:25 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Use 25mm front and 35mm rear. Just a guess, that's what I have on my SC.
Old 08-09-11, 08:44 AM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

it's pretty easy to figure out how thick of a spacer/adapter you'll need. Take a level and put it against your fender standing vertically and once you have it level, measure the distance from your wheel to the level. You can probably run 1/4" no problem but anything more than that you run the risk of not having enough thread left for your lugs to bite on to. You could also buy the ones that have another set of bolts that you bolt your rims to but you'll most likely have to go 1" or bigger or else the spacer won't clear the factory bolts and your rim wont sit flush against the spacer. I've heard of guys cutting their factory studs but I doub't thats something you want to do. i've been running a universal non hub centric 1/4" spacer(out of necessity) on my truck for 2 years now with no problems or vibrations but anything more than that you HAVE to go hub centric. I whipped up a quick sketch of what you do, please excuse the brutalness of it lol. The yellow stick would be your level and the white box by the wheel is the measurement you want. My guess is you'll need atleast an inch to get it flush.
Attached Thumbnails Wheels Spacers/Adapters-honda.jpg  
Old 08-09-11, 09:35 AM
mandyfig

Or else get a piece of thread and tie a washer on one end, tape to the fender and see what the gap distance is.

I would not go more than 1.5" spacer in the back though.

The hubcentric spacers are the way to go. They come with all the hardware you need, no cutting. Just a need a good torque wrench.
Old 08-10-11, 06:12 AM
xconcepts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wheel and tires guy told me that it could damage the Lexus to get spacers. I wanted some for the wifes 08 350.
Old 08-10-11, 08:58 AM
mandyfig

People have used spacers safely. But to each their own. I have spacers on my SC, 25 mm front, 35 mm rear. Rides fine.
Old 08-10-11, 08:59 AM
mandyfig

Spacers when applied properly (right torque and quality spacers) simulate getting new wheels with different offset (wider rims).
Old 08-11-11, 12:48 AM
satz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iirc, there are few factors to consider (I went through this process a few months ago, but didn't buy any yet)

1. the spacers should bolt onto the existing hubs, and then the wheels bolt onto the hubs (using new , longer bolts?)

2. there needs to be enough grip for the wheel bolts in terms of length

3. something else about the material I think...

Not sure what it will do to handling, esp if you use different spacers front and rear..

Let us know what you select.
Old 08-11-11, 09:08 AM
mandyfig

The ones that I installed on the SC, the quality of the aluminum was good. The workmanship was ok, too. The center hub which is a separate piece was machined with good tight tolerance. I can not complain. And they are less than half of the original Japanese spacers. These ones I bought I am sure are made in China.
Old 08-11-11, 01:32 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too thought of doing this once but worries about difference in lateral force and what kind of effect it will have on my ride and other parts of the car.
Old 08-11-11, 02:31 PM
mandyfig

As I mentioned earlier, it is almost equal to installing a new set of rims with the bigger offset.

The force applied to the wheels, whether lateral or otherwise is transferred to the hub through friction between the hub face/spacer/rim face. That is why bolt torque is important.
Old 08-11-11, 09:32 PM
satz
Driver

Mandyfig,
Are you able to post up the link to where you purchased your spacers, please?

It's always good to buy from someone recommended, rather than just out of the blue

You haven't put any spacers on your RX?

cheers

Satz
Old 08-12-11, 09:46 AM
mandyfig

The seller is OPTIONSELECT.

The only reason that I have not bought spacers is that I need to bet some new rubber first. Spacers can come later.

And I am waiting for somebody to get their RX's spacers done 1st, LOL! JK!

But when the budget opens up, I will surely get them. It is about $160 for the fornt and rear, not bad at all.

The wifey has clamped down on CAR expenditure not related to repair, hu-hu-hu.
Old 08-12-11, 09:52 AM
mandyfig

Here's what they look like, 25mm front and 35 mm rear. And the result.
Attached Thumbnails Wheels Spacers/Adapters-spacers.jpg   Wheels Spacers/Adapters-spacer4.jpg   Wheels Spacers/Adapters-front.jpg  
Old 08-13-11, 02:10 PM
satz
Driver

Mandyfig, the SC looks great. I think the improvement on an RX would be great too!

I googled but couldn't find 'Optionselect'. Is that a company name?

Sadly, apparently wheel spacers are illegal in Australia Hence an insurance company could decline a claim...

Same in any of the US states?

thank you

Satz

Last edited by satz; 08-13-11 at 02:14 PM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: Wheels Spacers/Adapters