RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 06:50 AM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hvarsov
i have them on my bmw 2013 535x1 and the bmw before this one, and the conti is quiet and a solid feel to the ride..........very pleased with the conti tire....it is a run flat tire and they are not supposed to be that comfy, but these are.........
I think it's only the ProContact SSR that is a run flat tire, the standard ProContact is not. I don't think the SSR is available in sizes for the RX but I could be wrong.
Old 03-23-13, 09:30 AM
nowstime
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know picking a tire is personal but need some help.

Thinking of...

1. Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 - $149.99 each at discount tires...(this is a V rated tire but an H rated was is going for $199 - this is a good price or normal price? - Michelin's website also shows that Pilot is more expensive than Energy MXV4 S8).

2. Michelin Latitude Tour - $200 each - like it due to its 65,000 warranty compared to others' 50,000

3. Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season - $185 each - good reviews about quite and comfort.

My local Lexus dealership is asking $1440 out the door for the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 including installation and alignment...which I think is too much. Asking $160 for installation if I bring in my own tires.

The most I want from my new tires are comfort and quietness. And if possible less slip in rain. The GoodYear I had originally was bad.

Any recommendations about my tire choices? Does Michelin really wear fast?

And what's the best way to get the tires installed? Order from Tire Rack and get it installed at Lexus and do the alignment there? or just straight from discount tires?

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 03-23-13, 10:10 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

My Lexus dealer claims they will price match tire rack. We shall see soon as my GS400 needs new shoes.
Old 03-23-13, 11:25 AM
RX3302004
Pole Position

I've had great luck with Goodyears and have heard rave reviews about Michelin so that's whats on 1 vehicle in the garage. I've had Bridgestones on 2 vehicles and neither lasted long.
Old 03-24-13, 07:03 PM
carfan1111
Rookie

1440 for tires + installation is a joke!

thats almost criminal of a price
Old 03-24-13, 07:13 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by carfan1111
1440 for tires + installation is a joke!

thats almost criminal of a price
Agreed. Even if they are replacing the spare as well as the other four that is way too much no matter if there is an alignment thrown into that price or not.
Old 03-25-13, 11:56 AM
LEXRX04
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a Costco near you check them out. Their pricing is usually cheaper than everywhere else. I have bought a few sets from them, and they are fast on getting them installed too.
Old 03-25-13, 03:58 PM
nowstime
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LEXRX04
If you have a Costco near you check them out. Their pricing is usually cheaper than everywhere else. I have bought a few sets from them, and they are fast on getting them installed too.
Many people are recommending Costco...I'm leaning toward Costco but their tire selection is limited compared to tire rack or discount tires.

Can anybody give me some feedback regarding the following tires?

COSTCO:
Bridgestone Dueler 422 H/L Ecopia ($184.99 each) - about $806 out the door with $70 off coupon.

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza is another choice but my local Costco don't have it in stock...is this one much better than the 422 Ecopia? Is it worth waiting for shipping?

DISCOUNT:
Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 ($149 each) - about $836.47 out the door with certificate ($766.47 with $70 rebate MasterCard). This one I live because it's a Michelin but I'm seeing bad reviews...Ironically this tire is the most expensive choice at Costco...which they told me this is the top of the line for my RX.

If you were in my shoes which choice would you make? Get it from Costco for their excellent warranty or Discount tires for Michelin at a great price?
Old 03-25-13, 06:45 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nowstime
Many people are recommending Costco...I'm leaning toward Costco but their tire selection is limited compared to tire rack or discount tires.

Can anybody give me some feedback regarding the following tires?

COSTCO:
Bridgestone Dueler 422 H/L Ecopia ($184.99 each) - about $806 out the door with $70 off coupon.

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza is another choice but my local Costco don't have it in stock...is this one much better than the 422 Ecopia? Is it worth waiting for shipping?

DISCOUNT:
Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 ($149 each) - about $836.47 out the door with certificate ($766.47 with $70 rebate MasterCard). This one I live because it's a Michelin but I'm seeing bad reviews...Ironically this tire is the most expensive choice at Costco...which they told me this is the top of the line for my RX.

If you were in my shoes which choice would you make? Get it from Costco for their excellent warranty or Discount tires for Michelin at a great price?
Not the Alenzas as they are old technology. I have them and I like them, however, they would not be my current choice. The Ecopia is the new low rolling resistance technology from Bridgestone. That is what I would select from Costco.

Read back in this thread for more details on the Goodyear and the Pirelli if you want to go elsewhere.
Old 03-25-13, 09:04 PM
nowstime
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Not the Alenzas as they are old technology. I have them and I like them, however, they would not be my current choice. The Ecopia is the new low rolling resistance technology from Bridgestone. That is what I would select from Costco.

Read back in this thread for more details on the Goodyear and the Pirelli if you want to go elsewhere.
Thanks for your input...I'm leaning toward the Bridgestone Ecopia since it's new and Costco has a current $70 off offer.

But how about the Michelin Pilot? Will this give me a much harsh ride since it's also a performance/touring tire?
Old 03-26-13, 06:16 PM
carfan1111
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL

the alenza is a very solid tire

but yea I would only get it if on sale
Old 03-27-13, 05:08 PM
UMddrx330
Driver School Candidate

Default new tires

What are your recommendations for smooth, quiet, wet weather, and long term life tires? Replacing tires for first time on my '04 rx330 18". Thanks.
Old 03-27-13, 06:53 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UMddrx330
What are your recommendations for smooth, quiet, wet weather, and long term life tires? Replacing tires for first time on my '04 rx330 18". Thanks.
Welcome to Club Lexus, UMddrx330.

This entire thread, all 11 pages and counting worth, is all about tire choices for your RX and predominately deals with the 235/55-18 tire size. Plenty of sales going on at the moment.

The current thinking is one of the following tires to get, in no particular order:

Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring
Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia
Old 04-18-13, 05:46 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Bumping this thread with a new post...

To kill some time today I took my RX330 by a nearby Firestone to have the alignment checked. Had purchased my Alenzas there and have a lifetime alignment. The alignment was still spot on. Anyway... while I was there I got to talking about replacement tires. The manager there told me that I should consider looking at the Bridgestone Turanza W/Serenity Plus in addition to the Ecopia and especially for the wet weather we have here in FL. This tire is listed as a car/minivan tire, so I am not really sold on the concept. Still, another tire to keep in mind for those looking. Me, I still have some life left in my tires so it may be a bit before I need to purchase.
Old 09-17-13, 10:07 AM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Suggestions on new tires for 04 RX330

Hello everyone, I am in need of new tires and looking for some suggestions from people with actual personal experience. Currently I have Goodyear Comforttread. What I want from the tires is a smooth and quiet ride, although I do encounter some snow in NY for a few months of the year.

From my research, I have narrowed it down to these 2 tires (although feel free to recommend another tire)

1. Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology

or

2. Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia

Anyone have experiences with these? Thanks

Also I have the 18" wheels so tire size is 235 55 18

Quick Reply: Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices