RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-22, 10:58 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts
Talking

Installed the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 in our RX400h.. Wished I've done this sooner. Highly recommended, if you don't need truck tires, or live in SoCal/Florida
Only have ~500 miles on these, so can't fully comment on most things.
Grip is great. The improved steering response is making me love this car again. I drive slow, btw, spend 70% of my freeway drives on the right right lane
Not seeing any noticeable impact on gas mileage. Can't comment on the noise at this age as new tires are always quiet.. even $50 tires.
Since I live in Cali and this RX will not see snow/gravel/dirt 99.99999999% of it's life, so no truck tires for me.
Mileage warranty is only 45k miles, but I only use this car about ~10k miles a year, so a ~4-year life for tires is good enough for me.
400h already has stiffened OEM suspension compared to non-hybrid RX, so these tires add to that "less" bounce.. The car drives more like an Audi Q5 than a Buick, feedback wise. It's a personal preference. I am not saying the car will change to a track car.. it's still a Lexus SUV.. no one will notice the change except the driver.
These are all seasons, not summer. Probably the best "sporty" all seasons you can get before you jump to summer tires.
I have the older model (A/S3) on the LS460 for 5 years and love it. I will be switching to A/S4's soon.

Previous tires were Good Year Assurance(?) Max Fuel.. these were so bad, I changed them out at about 50% wear.
The main issue for me with good years were how they squeaked on U-turns and turns from a stop at like 10% throttle. Also the tires didn't have rim protectors, which is abnormal at ~$200/tire price point
I never had full confidence while driving on them, even though I consider myself a slow driver. I do not recommend those if you drive your RX harder than average.

If you are looking to make your RX a little more "sporty", I highly recommend these Michelins. Heck, even the new corvette uses these from the factory.

Last edited by joedaddy1; 12-20-22 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-20-22, 03:24 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
Installed the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 in our RX400h.. Wished I've done this sooner. Highly recommended, if you don't need truck tires, or live in SoCal/Florida
Only have ~500 miles on these, so can't fully comment on most things.
Grip is great. The improved steering response is making me love this car again. I drive slow, btw, spend 70% of my freeway drives on the right right lane
Not seeing any noticeable impact on gas mileage. Can't comment on the noise at this age as new tires are always quiet.. even $50 tires.
Since I live in Cali and this RX will not see snow/gravel/dirt 99.99999999% of it's life, so no truck tires for me.
Mileage warranty is only 45k miles, but I only use this car about ~10k miles a year, so a ~4-year life for tires is good enough for me.
400h already has stiffened OEM suspension compared to non-hybrid RX, so these tires add to that "less" bounce.. The car drives more like an Audi Q5 than a Buick, feedback wise. It's a personal preference. I am not saying the car will change to a track car.. it's still a Lexus SUV.. no one will notice the change except the driver.
These are all seasons, not summer. Probably the best "sporty" all seasons you can get before you jump to summer tires.
I have the older model (A/S3) on the LS460 for 5 years and love it. I will be switching to A/S4's soon.

Previous tires were Good Year Assurance(?) Max Fuel.. these were so bad, I changed them out at about 50% wear.
The main issue for me with good years were how they squeaked on U-turns and turns from a stop at like 10% throttle. Also the tires didn't have rim protectors, which is abnormal at ~$200/tire price point
I never had full confidence while driving on them, even though I consider myself a slow driver. I do not recommend those if you drive your RX harder than average.

If you are looking to make your RX a little more "sporty", I highly recommend these Michelins. Heck, even the new corvette uses these from the factory.
thanks for letting us know about the Pilots Sport AS. I have already bought Michelin for my wife’s RX (Latitude Tour) and for my ES350 (Primacy MXV4). Will not buy any other brands.

Old 12-21-22, 02:19 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

In the UK Michelin Cross Climate SUVs are very popular, snow rated all seasons. I have them and they're quiet and comfortable and perform well in the summer, and handled the rain and snow on the level and up and down mountains when I drove across Europe last winter.