RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-12, 10:04 PM
Smartazz91
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is TireRack running any Cyber Monday deals? I need 18" tires for my 2GS, most likely the Sumitomo HTR A/S.
Thanks
Old 11-27-12, 09:15 AM
rfcbuf
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bridgestone Dueler Alenz Tires Noisy

2004 RX 330 tires replaced with Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires and found them very noisy in rear after 15K miles. Noise is not from rear wheel bearing as one bearing was recently replaced and the tire noise is different than experienced with the bad bearing. Also have checked on-line posts from other Bridgestone users who are not happy with the noise issue.

Would definately select another tire next time tires are replaced.
Old 11-27-12, 10:09 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rfcbuf
2004 RX 330 tires replaced with Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires and found them very noisy in rear after 15K miles. Noise is not from rear wheel bearing as one bearing was recently replaced and the tire noise is different than experienced with the bad bearing. Also have checked on-line posts from other Bridgestone users who are not happy with the noise issue.

Would definately select another tire next time tires are replaced.
So you are saying after 15k you have never rotated them?
Old 12-05-12, 07:35 AM
dandg
Driver

Default RX 330 Tires again !

Sorry if this has been done to many times( did a quick search).

Once again the RX 330 is due for tires,I(my wife drives it) seem to only get about 30k out of them.Last set was Bridgestone Dueler HT's that went on at 75K,now has 105k and about 5/32 tread depth with snow season I guess its time to replace them.
Set before that was the Michelin's MXV4's. I went with the Bridgestones as they had more tread to begin with (12/32) then the Michelins (9/32).

Has anyone had any better wear,or tire suggestions ?

Thanks
Old 12-05-12, 08:08 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Without a doubt tires are a top discussion on this forum. The post below has 111 replies.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-choices.html
Old 12-05-12, 08:46 AM
dandg
Driver

Thanks !

I read through most of them,I am not sure what I will do,Sams has the Michelins $70 off set of 4 which covers the install and from reading the thread you linked even thou they have less tread to begin with they are "supposed" to wear better,I got 75k out of the first two sets ( original and first replacement).

I guess they all go about 30-32k miles and then you need a new set,oh well.
Old 12-05-12, 11:00 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dandg
Sorry if this has been done to many times( did a quick search).

Once again the RX 330 is due for tires,I(my wife drives it) seem to only get about 30k out of them.Last set was Bridgestone Dueler HT's that went on at 75K,now has 105k and about 5/32 tread depth with snow season I guess its time to replace them.
Set before that was the Michelin's MXV4's. I went with the Bridgestones as they had more tread to begin with (12/32) then the Michelins (9/32).

Has anyone had any better wear,or tire suggestions ?

Thanks
Technically, those tires are probably still have life left in them, though perhaps not for use in the snow. They could be driven until 3/32 which might be another 5K more miles depending on your tire rotation habits if you wanted to push it.

Greater initial tread depth does not equate to a longer life tire. You need to compare the tire treadwear ratings and warranties for more accurate information.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=48

You do not mention, but I might assume from your tire choice that you have 17" tires. Would have been nice if you included that information as it does make a difference in the tires available.

Checking Tire Rack for additional information, it does not look like either Bridgestone Dueler HT tire available will last all that long -- low to mid 300's treadwear ratings. There are plenty of tires with ratings twice that of what you were buying and even more, for example the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring, for the same price or even less.

I got 40K miles out of the OEM Michelin MXV4 tires which came on my RX and have 50K plus on my current Bridgestone Alenzas with plenty of life left in them. I have the 18" tire package.

Are you going to put snow tires on this winter? If so, I would hold off making a change now. If you are go all winter with just the all-season tires then take a look at the Goodyear I mentioned as well as some of the others available at Tire Rack for comparison.

Last edited by RX330inFL; 12-05-12 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-05-12, 11:23 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Thanks !

I read through most of them,I am not sure what I will do,Sams has the Michelins $70 off set of 4 which covers the install and from reading the thread you linked even thou they have less tread to begin with they are "supposed" to wear better,I got 75k out of the first two sets ( original and first replacement).

I guess they all go about 30-32k miles and then you need a new set,oh well.

If you want to stick with going to Sam's Club and Michelin to get the discount, ask if they have either of the following in stock:

Michelin Latitude Tour - 225/65R17 102T

or

Michelin Defender XT - 225/65R17 102T
Old 12-05-12, 05:11 PM
Mercutio
Driver School Candidate

Michelin Defender is the top dog from Michelin right now. So much so that production of the 102T Latitude you mention, has been suspended.

Tried them. Loved the wet traction! Extremely quiet. Wear..... well at least there is a warranty. One of the longest out there.

My next set for sure.
Old 12-06-12, 05:39 AM
dandg
Driver

Thanks for additional posts,

they are the 18" (235 55 R18) Sams does not show the defender,just the MXV4's S8 ( $842 installed) and the Pilots in the Michelins. ( I have been reading and they,Michelins do seem to have the rubber compound lead).My next best choice would be a tire shop for those Bridgestones ($800 installed),I was also quoted on the Yokohoma's ($825) installed.
Old 12-06-12, 10:53 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Here is my 2cents. I had to replace my Michelin's in October because they were worn down. I like Michelin`s very much, but decided to go with the Cooper CS4 Touring V rated tires this time. I gotta tell you I couldn't have made a better decision. They out ride, out handle, and almost seem to be a little wider (even though the same size) than the Michelin`s were. They also have a much longer tread life. Although time will tell re; that. So I recommend looking into the Cooper tires, I`m certainly glad i did.
Old 12-06-12, 12:57 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Thanks for additional posts,

they are the 18" (235 55 R18) Sams does not show the defender,just the MXV4's S8 ( $842 installed) and the Pilots in the Michelins. ( I have been reading and they,Michelins do seem to have the rubber compound lead).My next best choice would be a tire shop for those Bridgestones ($800 installed),I was also quoted on the Yokohoma's ($825) installed.
No, the Defenders were only available in 17" for the RX.

The current thinking is one of the following tires to get:

Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring
Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia
Old 12-06-12, 03:51 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Plus 1 for Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia. Have them on. Pretty satisfied.
Old 12-06-12, 04:09 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

We have been very pleased with the ComforTred Touring on our RX. This is after two sets of Michelin MXV and Bridgestone H/L Alenza.
Old 12-06-12, 04:39 PM
satz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It also helps to consider whether you'll only be using the RX on highways/roads, or whether you need a little bit of off-road/light snow.

Because, generally speaking, if you get a tyre with close tread pattern (like for highways), it would be quieter than a similar size tyre with a more aggressive pattern (such as for light off road use).

Also, avoid directional tyres as they cause problems with tyre rotation (and hence life)

The local Lexus dealer recommends the Dunlop SP Sport, but did mention that there were some good Michelins that cost a lot more.

A couple of years ago I fitted Yokohama Parada Spec X, based on high review ratings on tirerack. They've been okay. Reasonably quiet, though they are starting to develop a grumbling noise after 30,000km...

cheers

Quick Reply: Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices