RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Melted Plastic in Rear Boot Opener

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-16, 11:15 AM
KWM1949
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing only the rubber boot on 2009 RX 350 liftgate

My liftgate switch still worked fine, so I just wanted to replace the melted boot.I removed the two screws holding it in. The switch comes right out. I had to use a small screwdriver to help it. There is about 6'' of slack on the switch. I cleaned all of the melted rubber up using a small screwdriver, a utility knife, and GOO GONE. It was quite messy. After cleaning, I removed the boot off of my new part, which I bought on E Bay for $47. I slipped it on the old switch, put it back in place using the 2 old round washers, and the old screws. It took about 45 minutes to complete.
Old 05-31-16, 11:54 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ..........

Originally Posted by theory816
lol

This how gobucks car probably looks like.

Dude I threw up laughing hahahahahahahaha
Old 06-08-16, 10:54 AM
kkwwhh
Driver School Candidate

Default 400 RXH melted rubber mess - rear hatch too

Yes, it has happened to me too. The rear hatch rubber is dripping tar onto the bumper. $100 part and $200 to install. Seems to be a problem. Called Lexus -- and out of luck. Does not seem like "Lexus Quality" that we all know and expect. ;-(
Old 06-09-16, 06:58 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ...........

Originally Posted by kkwwhh
Yes, it has happened to me too. The rear hatch rubber is dripping tar onto the bumper. $100 part and $200 to install. Seems to be a problem. Called Lexus -- and out of luck. Does not seem like "Lexus Quality" that we all know and expect. ;-(
$19 and better quality than Lexus! Just remove the 2 screws and replace it with this new one done!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Trunk-Ha...lXArg0&vxp=mtr
Old 06-16-16, 08:32 AM
ltk
Driver School Candidate

Default just the rubber piece please!

Ordered the one from e-bay! thank you
Old 09-10-16, 12:41 PM
lvn098
Driver

Order one from Ebay as well. Thanks,
Old 09-15-16, 03:59 PM
txt
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Received the ebay part today.

The melted rubber was a mess. I couldn't get all the melted goo off the switch.

Installed the new rubber onto the switch and it looked good.

This ebay part is a very cost effective solution to a common problem.
Old 09-19-16, 04:43 AM
jamieZ
Rookie

Default AFew things u can do...

1) Throw cash at it ( this is what most people do)

2) Complain to the wall at Lexus. You will only get madder.

3) Buy a Porsche ( If you can afford it)

That's about it. Jamie
Old 09-28-16, 07:39 PM
momjen
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

great advice. Thank you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Trunk-Hatch-Liftgate-Switch-Latch-Release-Button-Cover-Replacement-fr-Toyota-/11195817
Old 10-18-16, 06:32 PM
thx10
Rookie

Our 2008 RX350 75xxx miles here in MO is also melted. Switch still works

Haven't bothered to ask dealer yet, but my concern is water getting up and into switch or inside the door itself

Should I be concerned about water?
Old 10-30-16, 11:42 AM
jsayre
Driver School Candidate

Default melted rubber hatch latch cover

Annoying problem shouldn't happen on luxury car. Lexus should have pride enough to fix. However, simple solution. Remove two Phillips head screws, cut a piece of silicone sheet 1.5 in. x 4 inches. punch holes to match. Screw silicone sheet to cover the mess of deteriorated rubber. Silicone sheets are $15 from Costco designed as baking sheet liners. So for $15 you get the repair and two sheets left to bake with
Old 10-14-17, 04:34 PM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Cleaned melted rubber in back door opener but the switch still not work

I found out today I got this melted rubber also and I live in Minnesota since I brought it. I don't remember from when the switch start not working, probably two years ago. It didn't die suddenly but after couple times I had to push my finger strongly in order to open it I couldn't do it manually any more. By the way, the remote button on the key still works so I didn't pay much attention to it.

Today when I browse the forum trying to figure out what could be wrong with the power back door, this thread came to my attention. So I checked it and found that the rubber became sticky, very sticky. I then get the screw out and tried to clean the rubber hoping that after cleaning it may start working again. Unfortunately even after I clean the rubber, the switch doesn't work. Does that mean that I have to buy the who assembly and install it?

The mechanism of the switch does not seem to be complex and just act like normal mechanical switch. I could think where it could be wrong.

Does anyone have any idea about how to check it? My concern is there may be some issue somewhere else, not the switch. Remember that the remote for opening the back door does work. Thanks!
Old 10-14-17, 09:44 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 250 Posts

To check if the switch is working, you would need to unplug the switch from the car's wiring and use an ohmmeter to test the switch. IIRC, you have to remove the trim panel on the inside of the door to do this. Ditto for if you have to replace the switch. I'm pretty sure someone replaced that switch and posted a how-to with photos.
The following users liked this post:
dcdyd (10-15-17)
Old 10-15-17, 11:27 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

DennisMik, thanks for the advice. Next step for me is to get the switch off and test it out. Yes there is a link in this thread for how to take the switch off. By the way, the tailgate opening button on the driver side of the front panel doesn't work unless i used the remote key to open the door. Once I opened the tailgate using the remote, I can use the button to close and open it again. However couple minutes after the tailgate is closed, I can't open it again. Anyone have idea about this?
Old 09-12-18, 10:24 AM
dlear
Driver School Candidate

Default Back Door Switch Assembly 09 GS 350

So are all these rubber covers melting because of engaging the truck release from inside or from the fob's? Wow, seems they only work for split second and just noticed happening to mine after 9 years. Not sure how this happens but constant zapping? Appreciate the insights why?

Quick Reply: Melted Plastic in Rear Boot Opener