RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Daylight headlight HID retrofit question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-11, 04:39 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree OEM projectors are clear, let's hope your aftermarket setup is a lot better than OEM
Old 09-25-11, 05:31 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Actually I was saying they are not as clear as they could be. There is a mod you can do but it's a paint. These are much cleaner and clearer. Will post pics later.
Old 09-25-11, 08:26 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, All went pretty well. I like these better than the OEM so far. No nighttime driving yet though. They looks ALLOT clearer and cleaner than the OEM and offer a constant look fro the front end. Match the fog lights actually. I can also adjust the HID bulb up or down like the OEM one. Very cool!

However a few things kind of pissed me off not to mention were really annoying.

1. came with it's own strange daylight bulb and the connections were different so I can't just install in my own HID's for the daylights when I want to. Have to actually work on the dam thing. Stupid.... Oh and they
don't work at this point. I connected them. Maybe some rewiring needs to be done due to them being JDM and all. Dunno what the deal is though. The seller suggested I use the Halo's as daylights.... he just lost a star on the feedback score for that one lol!

2. NO instructions!! wtf!?

3. the parking light is built in and looks on the tacky side in my opinion. But I will live. I assumed I was going to just take out the LED parking lamp I had and just switch it out lol! Nooooooo

Some pics. And some fall off pics I think mowmow was asking for? I was told the right side angle was supposed to be there but the left side being straight is there to avoid blinding pedestrians lol!
Attached Thumbnails Daylight headlight HID retrofit question?-img_0161-5.jpg   Daylight headlight HID retrofit question?-img_0160-4.jpg   Daylight headlight HID retrofit question?-img_0159-3.jpg   Daylight headlight HID retrofit question?-img_0166-10.jpg   Daylight headlight HID retrofit question?-img_0165-9.jpg  

Last edited by infinirx; 09-25-11 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-25-11, 08:36 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry pic upload limit. He's the rest.
Attached Thumbnails Daylight headlight HID retrofit question?-img_0177-15.jpg   Daylight headlight HID retrofit question?-img_0182-19.jpg   Daylight headlight HID retrofit question?-img_0180-17.jpg   Daylight headlight HID retrofit question?-img_0178-16.jpg  
Old 09-26-11, 12:07 PM
JZS147btr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's an odd cuttoff line
Old 09-26-11, 12:14 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

It's actually not the USDM Standard but the JDM I beleive. I posted some of the reasons for it.
Old 09-26-11, 12:28 PM
JZS147btr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by infinirx
It's actually not the USDM Standard but the JDM I beleive. I posted some of the reasons for it.
Ah, ok...with that in mind, is it a good idea (safety wise) to run RHD optimized JDM lights on LHD car in a LHD country? I love JDM stuff but for me, functionality shouldn't be significantly sacrificed.
Old 09-26-11, 12:39 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JZS147btr
Ah, ok...with that in mind, is it a good idea (safety wise) to run RHD optimized JDM lights on LHD car in a LHD country? I love JDM stuff but for me, functionality shouldn't be significantly sacrificed.
Who cares.... lol so what is going to be significantly different? I mean it will shine a bit brighter on the street in the city over just straight on both sides? with the OEM? That's about it. I guess we shall see. I do agree it is a bit odd. But they are installed now. I won't take them out till I have tested them.

I did not do this for any other benefit but for more light on the highway at night than the OEM ones. It's dark where I live lol! Also it was about looks as well. So far it's a successful mod. I know the club lexus forums, especially the the RX are not big modders so this might be a bit odd. Not where i'm standing though.

In week or so I will know more since I daily the RX and can decide what to do with them. If they are safe or not or fit my agenda.
Old 09-26-11, 01:18 PM
JZS147btr
Driver School Candidate

I'm just tryin' to help you out. I'm no spring chicken when it comes to car mods, I've been modding cars since 16" wheels were "the shiznit" so I'm not against modding. I know it's fun and exciting but there are right ways to do things and ways that ultimately end up being a waste of your time and money. I know from experience that RHD optimized lights don't work well in a LHD car. If better lighting for dark roads is your concern, then this should matter to you.

Last edited by JZS147btr; 09-26-11 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-26-11, 01:21 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JZS147btr
I'm just tryin' to help you out. I'm no spring chicken when it comes to car mods, I've been modding cars since 16" wheels were "the shiznit" so I'm not against modding. I know it's fun and exciting but there are right ways to do things and ways that ultimately end up being a waste of your time and money. I know from experience that RHD optimized lights don't work well in a LHD car. If better lighting for dark roads is your concern, then this should matter to you.
The motive partially was to avoid spending more $$ on retrofitting projectors with another HID to the reflectors on the OEM. This is still a bit of a mystery on how I will do this or if I will need it. As of now these are brighter and more white than then OEM.

I will see tonight when on my way to class how I feel about the night driving. If it does not work for me they come off. Plane and simple. Needed to try at least.

Last edited by infinirx; 09-26-11 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-26-11, 01:32 PM
JZS147btr
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, those projector mods are no joke. You practically need a machine shop to fab some of those parts (well, if you want it done right). Luckily, for me, I have factory HID but even those I upgraded. I installed a set of Philips 85122+ bulbs which run about 200 lumens brighter and they maintain their color (Kelvin) throughout the life of the bulb (no color shift which decreases lumen output).

I also installed a set of HIR (Halogen Infrared Reflective) bulbs in my high beams. HIR's are the brightest Halogens you buy and they're NOT over-wattaged (not a real word, I know) so they won't burn your harness. They also don't put any more heat than standard Halogens so you won't burn your reflectors to a crisp yet they're 40-80% brighter than standard Halogens.

If you decide to go back to your OEM Halogen set up, I suggest you try a set of HIR's...they're only $50 a pair (get the Toshiba brand ones)

Last edited by JZS147btr; 09-26-11 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-26-11, 01:39 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Good idea. Thanks for the tip. I will post my findings over the next few days. Some pics of the road light brightness and if the cut off is hindering or not for me. At the very least it will help others to know the facts and chose wisely about purchasing them as I have done the R&D lol!
Old 09-26-11, 06:48 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting the pictures, the cut off line does look a bit strange but as long as it works and not blinding any on coming traffic, I say leave it alone. If you are still not happy with it in the end, you can always ask a retrofitter to replace the projectors on the low beam or make modification within to fix the issue. Although I think just replacing the projectors will probably a cheaper way to do it but only do it if you are not happy with your current results
Old 09-26-11, 08:20 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I think one can switch out the metal piece that the cut off as well if needed. I will say so far it's much brighter than my OEM ones. I can see the light on the street in the shade in ways I could not see with the oem. It needs adjustment cause it's too low. About six inches below where I would like it and the left is higher than the right. Fortunately I know from this site how to adjust the height and these headlights include the mechanism.

Aother cool thing I it has the same enclosure for the HID Ballest as well so the hid is completely protected. It's a decent quality lamp for sure. Especially cause it's made in Taiwan. Designed by a Japanese company.

Ps: in contat with the seller about the issues with the daylights not working. I am thinking it's an issue the the Jdm voltage over usdm. Need some re-wiring I think cause they are plugged in bunt won't turn on.

Last edited by infinirx; 09-26-11 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-27-11, 12:34 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

The sellers responses lead me to believe they are not American and have very little info on their product and the differences between the OEM Headlights and the ones they are selling. It's almost pissing me off to get there side stepping responses.

anyways here is a shot from tonight after class. Dunno if anyone has any shots similar with OEM headlights but I never thought to take them before so I have no comparison. But definitely brighter and whiter. The OEM seemed almost a cream in comparison. I love the extra light on the right side. Wish I had it on the left as well. Great for seeing foliage and if deer are there creeping.

The cut off on the left makes for some things I don't like as it's a pretty strong cut off. The bright light and then NO light is really noticeable as with the OEM I noticed but it was allot more subtle..

Next step. Raise the lights. I have rather long video I will post if you guys really want it.
Attached Thumbnails Daylight headlight HID retrofit question?-img_0183-1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Daylight headlight HID retrofit question?