RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Daylight headlight HID retrofit question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-11, 10:29 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am so tempted to post my entire communication with these guys.... Funny yet infuriating in a way because they don't know their product at all. OR they know it but wont directly say the daylights don't work unless rewired.
Old 09-28-11, 11:22 AM
jamodeo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
I am so tempted to post my entire communication with these guys.... Funny yet infuriating in a way because they don't know their product at all. OR they know it but wont directly say the daylights don't work unless rewired.
If you need to rewire them, send me pictures of the new and old wiring harness... I can draw up a schematic or make a wiring harness adapter for you if you would like. PM me if you want my email address. I am not saying I will make and sell these things, just want to help out if I can. I will make a DIY if it is popular enough and I have enough information as to how to rewire them to work the way you want.

-Joe
Old 09-28-11, 12:06 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Hey thanks. I am planing to take pics for them so I will send some off to you as well.
Old 09-29-11, 11:31 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Had to repair some stuff with the RX this week so I could not get to the headlights. But I must say the cut off is starting ot annoy me. Not the right side extra but the left side. It's such a sharp cut off that in dark roads it's very dark at that spot. I wanna get those daylight bulbs running and see how that goes in terms of night time driving improvements..

OH! and I tried to adjust the light height and they pretty much went no where. I think the mechanism is there for looks lol.

Last edited by infinirx; 09-30-11 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-30-11, 07:32 AM
jamodeo
Instructor

Had to repair some stuff with the RX this week so I could not get to the headlights. But I must say the cut off is starting ot annoy me. Not the right side extra but the left side. It's such a sharp cut off that in dark roads it's very dark at that spot. I wanna get those daylight bulbs running and see how that goes in terms of night time driving improvements..

OH! and I tried to adjust the light height and they pretty much went no where. I think the mechanism is there for looks lol.
How many times did you turn the screw? I had to turn mine about 13 times to make a noticeable difference in the height.

-Joe
Old 09-30-11, 08:02 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

lol really? Hmmmm I will be a bit for patient then and see what happens. I think it's going to be the same then. But I will try.
Old 09-30-11, 11:36 AM
jamodeo
Instructor

lol really? Hmmmm I will be a bit for patient then and see what happens. I think it's going to be the same then. But I will try.
Use a sharpie to mark where the screw is in its current spot so you can make it easier on yourself visually to see how many times you turn the screw.

-Joe
Old 09-30-11, 02:59 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^ def. over 13 turns but I did it at night. Seems to tighten up a bit then gets loose and starts over.
Old 10-04-11, 12:12 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Ok got sick of it and spent about 15min turning the screws on each side till I saw results. Got about 6"+ on both sides I will let you guys know if it's helpful. I am going to have to mod the cut off. It's too dark on the left side. Not safe in some situations for me up in the hills.
Old 10-04-11, 06:48 AM
jamodeo
Instructor

Ok got sick of it and spent about 15min turning the screws on each side till I saw results. Got about 6"+ on both sides I will let you guys know if it's helpful. I am going to have to mod the cut off. It's too dark on the left side. Not safe in some situations for me up in the hills.
Do you think it is possible to take apart the OEM headlamp and take the cutoff shield off the oem projector and put it on the aftermarket one? Just wondering if that would work (and if you would even do that!) lol

-Joe
Old 10-04-11, 08:57 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

I do not know Good question! might be able to shave the existing ones as well.

I have not had the time or energy to deal with the rewiring thing for the daylights either.

Last edited by infinirx; 10-04-11 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-04-11, 01:36 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

depending on how the aftermarket projector was install, it may be easier to change the entire projector since you will do some measurements of the inner diameter of the projector ( within aftermarket projector ) VS OEM ones to determine if it's even feasible to change the cutoff plate.
Old 10-05-11, 11:41 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^^^ I will look into that if needed thanks for that.

So far after I raised them like 6-8" lol they are so high I hardly see the cut off. Good for what I want on the road, it really gets everything and is bright enough, but it's pretty much blinding to others so I will reverse it about 2-3 inches maybe and see how that goes. I looked at a distance and yeah it's shining right in allot of faces. It's surprisingly not all that bad but still need to lower it.

Last edited by infinirx; 10-06-11 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-09-11, 11:10 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Ok so after some drivers in front of me actually let me pass I knew the lights were way too high. So I spent another 15min and got them to just about right. Do not see the cut off anymore (accept the right side up hill part) and I think I am for the most part just on the cusp of hitting the back seats of cars. It's pretty good now I think.

I still can't get the daylights working and have no experience with wiring lol! Will re-approach it later.

Fitment is great and over all I am happy for now. I would like however to do the retrofit with the OEM as it's better quality and just over all a better way to do it. I mean keeping the ability to have your high beams turn with you and the low beams as HID's staying on straight would be so ideal.
Old 10-10-11, 09:31 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

James, I guess you saw some of the pictures of my finished retrofit. Yea retrofit works really well but we also ran into issues with factory DRL and we had to disable it and use the led strip as DRL with wires connecting to 12V power source and have to be off when car is off, it took some time to make it work because a lot of the area within engine bay that had 12V power source are constant 12V meaning even when the car is off and no key in the car, there are still juice flowing but at a lower voltage.

Quick Reply: Daylight headlight HID retrofit question?