RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Advice help needed to replace 2005 RX330 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-11, 03:51 PM
guptaab
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Advice help needed to replace 2005 RX330 Engine

Hi,
My 2005 FWD RX330 Lexus needs a new engine (as diagonised by two separate mechanics, my original engine ran out of oil). I have received multiple quote for used engines and one dealer is providing Toyota Highlander Engine for about $1150 with 45K miles.

Please let me know if it is correct that Highlander and Lexus Engine are interchangeable. Also, what questions should I ask the engine dealer to insure I am getting the right engine. Also, should I actually visit his warehouse (which is about 1.5hours away) to see the engine. If so, what should I observe.

I have received range of labor prices. Two shops are asking the labor from $1500 and $1800. However, the person who is selling the engine is providing a bundle price of $1750 (for engine and installation through a afflliated shop). I am a little suspicious for such a low price (installation for $600 only). Please let me know what is the rough price for labor for replacing engine.

Finally, I would appreciate if you could suggest any mechanic in San Jose bay area or a good dealer for engine.

Any other advice, tips or suggestion will also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Abhijit
guptaab@yahoo.com
San Jose, CA
Old 09-04-11, 04:31 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Engine replacement is no place to cheap out. It isn't like having your brakes done for 400 at the shop instead of for 1400 at the dealer, if the engine install is messed up you will suffer as long as you own the car.

Go with the shop with the best reputation and the best warranty, check references if you haven't done business with them. I can't stress this enough there are 1000 things that can be screwed up on an engine replacement. Nasty gremlins that can cost a diagnostic fortune to find.

Go with the best and pay what they want.

...and welcome to Club Lexus!
Old 09-04-11, 05:44 PM
Dragking91
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to heard about your lost, but why would you let your engine to run out of oil in the first place??. To answer your question the Rx have the same engine as the highlander both with 3.3L and i would put out a little more money and have the dealer do it and installation as well. Ask them if it warranty for both the engine and their installation and if so for how long. It cost more money but it a better bet and a peace of mind.
Old 09-04-11, 05:45 PM
Dragking91
Driver School Candidate

Edit: the Rx330 is the same as the V6 highlander from 04-07 i believe. Not the new Rx350 which has a 3.5L, that is the same as Toyota Avalon if im not wrong.
Old 09-04-11, 05:51 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Keeping in mind that this is only a FWD setup, it is a fairly easy swap all together. Get references, check BBB website, BAR complaints, etc on those you are considering.
Old 09-05-11, 06:32 AM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ****Don't Cheap Out Here****

Make sure you get some type of warranty. A low-baller might get it done but will it be right?
Get your references...I'd take it to the best Toyota dealership in your general area and have them do it.
Old 09-06-11, 05:07 PM
guptaab
Driver School Candidate

I would like to thank Carver, DragKing91, Pearlpower and DixieLex your quick and very useful responses.
Your responses did help me in picking the right strategy to fix the SUV.
Thanks again.
Abhijit
Old 09-06-11, 05:34 PM
Supralaju
Rookie

By the look of it i think it just some gasket repalcement and few TOP overhaul... I wont recommend to get the repalcement engine ... after the overhaul if it failed again no choice to get the general overhaul.

Originally Posted by guptaab
Hi,
My 2005 FWD RX330 Lexus needs a new engine (as diagonised by two separate mechanics, my original engine ran out of oil). I have received multiple quote for used engines and one dealer is providing Toyota Highlander Engine for about $1150 with 45K miles.

Please let me know if it is correct that Highlander and Lexus Engine are interchangeable. Also, what questions should I ask the engine dealer to insure I am getting the right engine. Also, should I actually visit his warehouse (which is about 1.5hours away) to see the engine. If so, what should I observe.

I have received range of labor prices. Two shops are asking the labor from $1500 and $1800. However, the person who is selling the engine is providing a bundle price of $1750 (for engine and installation through a afflliated shop). I am a little suspicious for such a low price (installation for $600 only). Please let me know what is the rough price for labor for replacing engine.

Finally, I would appreciate if you could suggest any mechanic in San Jose bay area or a good dealer for engine.

Any other advice, tips or suggestion will also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Abhijit
guptaab@yahoo.com
San Jose, CA
Old 09-11-11, 05:33 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I would be less concerned about the price, and more interested in what sort of guarantee the engine came with. Had an engine swap in a buick park avenue once--it ran fine for a month, then kaboom. If the used engines do not come with at least a 3 month warrantee...I would probably not roll those dice, and go with a new one.