RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2005 RX AWD - Couple of Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 10:24 AM
cherishzm
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 RX AWD - Couple of Issues

Hello All,

I recently bought a 2005 RX AWD with 79k miles and noticed a couple of issues.

First of all, when I park the RX on a flat surface it moves about 1 inch backward after releasing a brake pedal. I never had a car doing this and did not notice it when I test-drove it. It's not a serious issue, but I'd like to fix it if I can.

Second, after unplugging a negative battery connector to reset ECU and plugging it back, I noticed all power windows except for driver's side and sunroof open/close does not operate. Is there something I need to reset?

Lastly, this may be related to the common transmission hesitation issue. When I let the RX cruise with my foot off of gas pedal and suddenly press gas pedal, I hear a knock noise (what feels like coming from underbody) and then the car takes off. And I think the RX not responding from light pressure on a gas pedal is from hesitation. Is it correct?

I'd like to take it in to Lexus dealership to have a transmission reprogrammed to the latest version, but mine has 79k miles so will I get charged for that?

Thanks in advance for all inputs.
Old 09-19-11, 11:27 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Their is a method to resetting the windows etc. in the manual (hopefully you have one) The transmission tsb I do believe has a time/millage limit, but I`m not sure what it is. I recommend you change all fluids; transaxle,transfer case,rear diff,power steering fluid,brake fluid. (make sure you use Toyota approved for the brake fluid.) And for best performance, use Premium Unleaded fuel. I dont care what the other people say about reg.fuel is just fine, you suffer performance/longevity on reg.fuel.
Old 09-19-11, 12:00 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some of the hesitation is due to the electronic throttle, it simply can't respond as quickly as a direct wire.
Old 09-19-11, 01:49 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

The RX moving back after putting it in park is normal. It's the parking pawl catching. To eliminate this use the handbrake. Apply it before shifting to park, and then let go of the brake pedal. It'll keep the pressure off of the parking pawl this way.
Old 09-19-11, 02:39 PM
cherishzm
Pit Crew

lexus114,
Thanks for the reply. I'll check the manual tonight and figure out how to reset the windows. I found differential fluids have been changed (according to Carfax) by a Lexus dealer but did not see records for other fluids change. Do you think independent mechanic can change these fluids if I provide them with the parts? Or should I take it to Lexus or Toyota dealership?

Carver,
Thanks for the reply. Do Honda/Acura vehicles use direct wire? I have Honda Odyssey and replaced Acura TL with the RX and both Odyssey and TL had almost immediate response to pressure to gas pedal.

hypervish,
Thanks for the reply. It's great to know that it's normal, but I still feel the amount of movement seems too much. Do I need to apply the handbrade every time I park it to avoid movement?

This forum is a great place to share knowledge and experiences and I'm very thankful for that. Hope I'll be able to help some new members on this forum in the future.
Old 09-20-11, 06:16 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

lexus114,
Thanks for the reply. I'll check the manual tonight and figure out how to reset the windows. I found differential fluids have been changed (according to Carfax) by a Lexus dealer but did not see records for other fluids change. Do you think independent mechanic can change these fluids if I provide them with the parts? Or should I take it to Lexus or Toyota dealership?

Yeah no problem. You can check your prior service records even better by regisrating on my Lexus.com. Yes,you can have an indi. shop do the fluids,as long as they are reputable.

http://www.mylexus.com/

Last edited by lexus114; 09-20-11 at 06:20 AM. Reason: adding a link
Old 09-20-11, 12:09 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Your Welcome! You don't have to apply the handbrake every time you park, but it's a good habit. People normally only use the handbrake when they park on a hill.
Old 09-20-11, 12:53 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hypervish
Your Welcome! You don't have to apply the handbrake every time you park, but it's a good habit. People normally only use the handbrake when they park on a hill.
Yup, I`m guilty of that one myself.
Old 09-20-11, 01:17 PM
gusar
Driver

Originally Posted by lexus114
Yup, I`m guilty of that one myself.
If you use emergency brake time to time sooner or later you will burn it :-( because of forgetting.
And your transmission is adaptive and will improve shifting after learning your drive habits. It may take a while.
And my RX moves a little when parked as well. BTW, there is almost no such thing as a level surface and cars moves a little.
Old 09-21-11, 06:30 PM
cherishzm
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gusar
If you use emergency brake time to time sooner or later you will burn it :-( because of forgetting.
And your transmission is adaptive and will improve shifting after learning your drive habits. It may take a while.
And my RX moves a little when parked as well. BTW, there is almost no such thing as a level surface and cars moves a little.
Thanks for the reply. I do understand cars moving a bit after parked, but as I described, the amount of the movement is not something I've experienced in any cars I had a chance to drive. Maybe I'm being a little to sensitive to it so I'll just use the emergency brake and try not to forget about it

Have you experienced the 'knock' I'm hearing and feeling when accelerated hard after letting it cruise with foot off of the gas pedal. I felt it twice today on the way home when trying to pass someone. It sounds like it's coming from back, not front. Could it possibly be transmission related or something else. Mine is AWD.

I'm trying to get some ideas before deciding to take it to Lexus dealership.
Old 09-21-11, 10:01 PM
is350memb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i believe my former rx did this too. i bought it new. i think it is normal. <<regarding moving back after brake pedal is released.
Old 09-22-11, 06:45 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

If you disconnected the battery you will have lost several settings besides the power windows. You can search here or in your owners manual but the short answer is to go to each window switch and hold it until the window goes down and back up, then release.

The same goes for the sunroof. Hold the tilt switch until the roof tilts up and then closed, slides open and then closed then release the button.

The rear hatch will need to be manually opened and closed to reset.

After removing the battery your ECU will relearn your driving style too so it may take a few days for it to catch up with your style of driving.

If you check under the hood, there should be a sticker applied if the transmission was reflashed. It might have been done. This RX transmission has been known for a slight lag.

If you log on the the Lexus.com forum and register you can access the vehicles service records if Lexus serviced it. You can also request a hard-copy owners manual if you didn't get the original.

Lastly, this forum is a goldmine of help to Lexus owners. Enjoy!

Again welcome to the forum.
Old 09-22-11, 08:30 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a common issue regarding the underbody noise. The car has a plastic shield covering most of the underside and the leading edge of rear piece has been known to come loose and cause various noises.

There are threads about it or you could have your dealer reseal the piece. Some dealers have been known to insist on replacing the entire part but a little two sided 3M will take care of it.
Old 09-22-11, 11:12 AM
gusar
Driver

Originally Posted by cherishzm
Thanks for the reply. I do understand cars moving a bit after parked, but as I described, the amount of the movement is not something I've experienced in any cars I had a chance to drive. Maybe I'm being a little to sensitive to it so I'll just use the emergency brake and try not to forget about it

Have you experienced the 'knock' I'm hearing and feeling when accelerated hard after letting it cruise with foot off of the gas pedal. I felt it twice today on the way home when trying to pass someone. It sounds like it's coming from back, not front. Could it possibly be transmission related or something else. Mine is AWD.

I'm trying to get some ideas before deciding to take it to Lexus dealership.
No, when I accelerate after cruise it works smoothly.
Well, (my) transmission shifting isn't as smooth as it should be, especially at low speed. It became better after "period of adaptation" - half a year or more. And transmission is not always responsive (not often, but...) if I need to pass someone - sometimes it just don't give acceleration. It's not a long delay, but on highway every fraction of second matters... So I prefer sort of pressing gas pedal, than feel it gains speed (no delay) and only after that change lane. It happened to me on other cars, but didn't expect it from Lexus...
Old 09-22-11, 03:14 PM
cherishzm
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Carver
There is a common issue regarding the underbody noise. The car has a plastic shield covering most of the underside and the leading edge of rear piece has been known to come loose and cause various noises.

There are threads about it or you could have your dealer reseal the piece. Some dealers have been known to insist on replacing the entire part but a little two sided 3M will take care of it.
I'll try to take it to a mechanic and have him take a look at underbody. Hope the noise is coming from the loose plastic and it's nothing serious.

Quick Reply: 2005 RX AWD - Couple of Issues