RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Electrical or ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-11, 04:23 AM
AJAA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical or ignition?

Used the key to lock the car and noticed headlights werent turning off. Fifteen min. later, tried to start the engine and the ignition switch was locked and wouldnt budge (even though the seat and steering wheel memory ops kicked in). Cant check for a diagnostic code if I cant at least turn the key to accessories and dont even know if that would help.

Last edited by AJAA; 09-26-11 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Sound less stupid.
Old 09-26-11, 06:18 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

This sounds like a Steering Wheel lock. I'm told it is a feature on all cars. Try turning and shaking the key in the the ignition while tugging on the steering wheel to release the lock. In my case I had to tug the steering wheel several times pretty hard to get the key to turn. This "lock" triggers when the steering wheel is turned while the keys are out of the ignition, I believe. Don't know what reason this was designed for though as it seem a nusiance.

I've been told that you might also put the car in neutral and push it a couple feet and the lock will release too. I've not tried this though.
Old 09-26-11, 06:50 AM
AJAA
Driver School Candidate

Default Wont budge

Thanks, I tried. I cant get anything to budge. It's an automatic tranny. The the shifter is in Park and wont budge. Tried turning the steering wheel in both directions while attempting to turn the key- wont budge. I cant depress the brake pedal to the floor either.
Old 09-26-11, 10:07 AM
AJAA
Driver School Candidate

OMG, I tried it again and it worked this time. Thanks!
Old 09-26-11, 10:16 AM
RMB350
Driver

If at first you don't succeed!!

Well done!
Old 09-26-11, 10:57 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Glad it worked and you saved a service call. BTW, welcome to the forum and be sure to check in with any issues you have. The forum is a greg resource for Lexus owners.
Old 09-26-11, 08:13 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ignition Stuck

If it happens again. I think you can get some movement out of the transmission. By pushing the shift lock override button.
Attached Thumbnails Electrical or ignition?-trans.jpg  
Old 09-26-11, 11:41 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Getting on a soap box ... so skip if not interested specially when the OP's problem is solved.

Ignition key provides lots of functions ..

1. Wake-up (prime system) when you insert the key.
2. Steering lock release (first detent) Jim wanted to know why ...
It is to prevent some one to hot wire the vehicle (legacy).To kill the engine a certain wire is set to ground. Conversely to run that wire is not set to ground. So hot wiring procedure is to disconnect the wire and then send 12v to the starter and that gets the engine running. Expert thief can accomplish that within less than 30 sec once (s)he enters the vehicle. To prevent thieves from driving the vehicle, the added security feature was added to lock the steering [the ignition switch is right there and all it needs is a little cog to jam it]. The cog is flipped by the key, but then the steering must be turned by a certain angle to get caught up in the cog. If the steering wheel is left straight on, the system is not jammed up. If you turn the wheel [typically is done by kids who do pretend driving] the dreaded jam-up happens. What is needed is some relief and you do that by simultaneously turning the key and turning/wiggling the steering wheel.
3. Acc ... boon to the person(s) waiting in the vehicle for their entertainment.
4. Run/on. Fully functional mode ... self test of idiot lights before starting.
5. Start. Once again safety needs to be ensured. Transmission needs to be in park (exception Neutral). This is where the gear lever position interlock switch plays a part. NC5wes mentioned this.

Some time rocking (pushing) the vehicle can help the steering move to release the jam-up [it takes less effort to turn the steering wheel when the wheels are spinning] and also jerks the gear lever interlock.

*The engine imobilizer is the new way to prevent hot wiring.

Salim

PS: After a nights sleep, I think we still need the steering lock. This would help when "good drivers" curb their wheels. The steering lock will prevent the castor from straightening the wheels when and if the vehicle starts rolling.

Bonus points for "good drivers" who curb their wheels.
S

Last edited by salimshah; 09-27-11 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Added PS