RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Hello, New Owner Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 11:08 PM
LxRxKen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read the owners manual.....Got it! haha

No, I haven't dropped the air pressure yet.
Old 10-07-11, 08:04 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LxRxKen
No, I haven't dropped the air pressure yet.
You need to ASAP 40psi is way out of spec. The recommended tire pressure is on a sticker inside the driver side door frame. Lexus recommends 30psi but most CL members run their tires at 32psi.
Old 10-07-11, 10:49 PM
LxRxKen
Driver School Candidate

Ok, for sure. I'll do that and put it at 36psi. I've noticed that on the rear tires, the insides are starting to wear quickly too.
Old 10-07-11, 11:48 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why 36? That's still going to be pretty bouncy.
Old 10-08-11, 05:16 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

^ ok, will do, I'm taking it in tomorrow morning. Yeah, my mom was passive about it, mainly bc of the color, but I love it. It was pretty clean. But yeah, I'm planning on doing oil changes at every 3k miles bc the record shows the previous owner changed every 5k. And from what I was reading in previous threads about sludging, I would like to be extra cautious about it until comfortable.

Does anyone know the type of oil to be used? 5w30? synthetic? synthetic blend?

thanks again everyone!
Are you a DIY'er?

If you are you can perform a lot of what will be required to get the car up to snuff so you can enjoy it for a long time.

Be patient and take your time.

Make a list and prioritize:

Fluids

1. Oil
2. Trans
3. Power Steering
4. Brake
5. Coolant

Others

1. Battery
2. Tires

Clean it up and detail.

Good luck.

Finally, just a suggestion, get a binder and start logging down your findings. And service done.

What have you found out for your car's history at the Owner's website? Get it printed and put them on the Lexus Binder.
Old 10-08-11, 05:18 AM
mandyfig

Ok, for sure. I'll do that and put it at 36psi. I've noticed that on the rear tires, the insides are starting to wear quickly too.
34 is a sweet spot to even out the outside wear. That's what I did. Now it is even, am riding on 32. Better.

Am getting the most out of the Michelins.

But soon time for new shoes.
Old 10-08-11, 07:59 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig

Fluids

1. Oil
2. Trans
3. Power Steering
4. Brake
5. Coolant
Being it is a 2008 RX350 the transmission fluid should be OK until 100K or at least should be at the end of the list. Also, regarding coolant -- is that not also long life now? Change when the water pump needs replacing or 100K? Not sure as I do not have an RX350 in front of me and have an RX330 myself.
Old 10-08-11, 08:54 AM
mandyfig

@66K, a look at the condition of the tranny fluid is warranted.

It it looks pinkish, you are good to go. If it looks dark and brown, a drain and fill is suggested.
Old 10-08-11, 07:03 PM
LxRxKen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Carver
Why 36? That's still going to be pretty bouncy.
this is what the manager of the service dept told me to keep it on. But if you guys say to put it at 32, or 34, I'll put it at 34.
Are you a DIY'er?

If you are you can perform a lot of what will be required to get the car up to snuff so you can enjoy it for a long time.

Be patient and take your time.

Fluids

1. Oil
2. Trans
3. Power Steering
4. Brake
5. Coolant

Others

1. Battery
2. Tires

Clean it up and detail.

Good luck.

Finally, just a suggestion, get a binder and start logging down your findings. And service done.

What have you found out for your car's history at the Owner's website? Get it printed and put them on the Lexus Binder.
I am a DIY type of person as long as I am comfortable with what I am working with and have a suitable amount of time to do it. If I have a step by step how-to guide, I'll do it. And Will do with the log. It'll be hard to do though, since it is my mom's car now.

@66K, a look at the condition of the tranny fluid is warranted.

It it looks pinkish, you are good to go. If it looks dark and brown, a drain and fill is suggested.
Its bright pink and clear! So I believe its good to go. However, there is something I noticed as I am driving for a while (typically on the hwy)...I tend to smell a burning or overheating odor coming from the vents. So, I'm wondering if the coolant needs changing? or If the fan is not working? I'm not sure. The TEMP guage is a little below the middle marker. So the engine is keeping cool but maybe not cool enough. Any suggestions?
Old 10-09-11, 08:33 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The coolant is scheduled by Lexus to be changed every 100K. If you decide to change it anyway, be sure to use "Toyota Super Long Life Coolant".
Old 10-09-11, 04:51 PM
LxRxKen
Driver School Candidate

^ ok, that seems good. However, now my mom has a change of heart. She doesn't like the color (thats absurd, Pearl White is amazing) and wants to change it back to the Flint mica or Black. Man, after all that trouble of asking her if she was sure she was ok with this and if she liked it, and buying it, NOW she changes her mind! Too late to return it too.

Maybe if she continues to drive it more, she'll like it like i do, but only time will tell. We bought it for 23k and with taxes it came out to 25k. I put 5k cash down. So if I were to sell it or trade it in, will I be able to break even?
Old 10-10-11, 09:24 AM
mandyfig

^ ok, that seems good. However, now my mom has a change of heart. She doesn't like the color (thats absurd, Pearl White is amazing) and wants to change it back to the Flint mica or Black. Man, after all that trouble of asking her if she was sure she was ok with this and if she liked it, and buying it, NOW she changes her mind! Too late to return it too.

Maybe if she continues to drive it more, she'll like it like i do, but only time will tell. We bought it for 23k and with taxes it came out to 25k. I put 5k cash down. So if I were to sell it or trade it in, will I be able to break even?
It will be a challenge for you to break even or be ahead.

Do you have the 72 hour window to return the car, or are you past it?
Old 10-10-11, 08:34 PM
LxRxKen
Driver School Candidate

past it...its over and done with. Basically its a lose lose situation.
Old 10-10-11, 08:43 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bad situation man, family, what cha gonna do.
Old 10-11-11, 10:23 PM
LxRxKen
Driver School Candidate

tell me about it. Looks like I'll have to use reverse psychology on her. haha. I started to drive it more and more and now she's starting to drive it too. Plus, I always add in the fact that she'll be losing mad cheese, yo! hahaha. seems to be working.

Quick Reply: Hello, New Owner Advice