RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Hello, New Owner Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 08:03 PM
LxRxKen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, New Owner Advice

Hello, My name is Ken and I just bought a 2008 RX350 for my mom's bday on Sunday. It is fully loaded with 66k miles on it so warranty is shot. So far, its good on the exterior and the electronics all work in great order. The engine is ok, but I do hear a shutter or clicking sound (kinda like when you first start it up in the morning). And I hear it when I step on the gas. I let my mechanic listen to it and he says its normal. And when I get on an uneven pavement, I notice the car doesn't really feel stable--kinda like it shakes from side-to-side for a bit and will tip over before it restabalizes itself. Is that a sign that the car's shocks are bad? Or could it be that the tires just need new balancing--well it needs replacing bc thats how I got the price of the car to go down. I really hope that I haven't just bought a lemon.

My question is that, since its out of warranty, the third party dealership is still giving me the option to buy an extended warranty of 3yrs/100k miles for an extra $1000. We pay a deductible of only $100 and the insurance (Mercury) takes care of the rest. It covers everything, powertrain, axles, electric, windows, whatever, in the event that we have to get it fixed.

Do I need it? Is there any known problems that have occured with the 2008 RX350's that I am unaware about? Please inform me. Because I read that costs of axles and other stuff can run in the thousands. Thanks

Last edited by LxRxKen; 10-04-11 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-04-11, 08:50 PM
salimshah

Received 1,077 Likes on 969 Posts

Any advice you will get here would be best guess and you really need an experts advice who has the vehicle in front of him/her. I would suggest take your vehicle to a mechanic you trust [the one you went to, you dont trust], or better still take to Lexus dealership and ask them to go over the vehicle service history and diagnose the current problems if they exist.

If you decide to buy extended insurance, you can shop around. Just make sure you get it from a reliable company.

Salim
Old 10-04-11, 09:02 PM
LxRxKen
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Salim.

Any known problems that occur with the RX350? I know that on my Infiniti G35, they are known to burn oil.
Old 10-04-11, 10:44 PM
salimshah

350 is pretty refined vehicle, but as you know a single negligence or one time abuse can become a nightmare for the new owner ,,, but that is a known hazard in the used car business. Typically you can expect 100k trouble free miles.

Salim
Old 10-04-11, 10:48 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LxRxKen
Hello, My name is Ken and I just bought a 2008 RX350 for my mom's bday on Sunday. It is fully loaded with 66k miles on it so warranty is shot. So far, its good on the exterior and the electronics all work in great order. The engine is ok, but I do hear a shutter or clicking sound (kinda like when you first start it up in the morning). And I hear it when I step on the gas. I let my mechanic listen to it and he says its normal. And when I get on an uneven pavement, I notice the car doesn't really feel stable--kinda like it shakes from side-to-side for a bit and will tip over before it restabalizes itself. Is that a sign that the car's shocks are bad? Or could it be that the tires just need new balancing--well it needs replacing bc thats how I got the price of the car to go down. I really hope that I haven't just bought a lemon.
Your vehicle should not handle like that. Does not mean it will cost $$$, however, unless you get a competent shop to take a look at it you will never know. Some shops will just give you the standard list of things to replace whether that will truly solve the problem or not. Go to a couple of shops to get quotes as needed. Toyota shops are not a bad place to go if you are needing to save a few dollars when compared to the Lexus shop labor rates.

BTW, what tires do you have on the vehicle? Question based on your asking on a previous thread. Sounds like you already went to the tire shop to talk to them. What did they say? What condition are our tires in? What tire pressures are you using? Should be around 32 to 35 PSI.

Could be shocks/struts. Could be tires. Could be suspension/rack issues. A lot of "could be's." Just like Carver stated previous.
Old 10-04-11, 11:39 PM
LxRxKen
Driver School Candidate

^^ The tires are used and in need of replacing. they look like less than 50% tread left and I'm at 40psi. I read in the other post about the Kumho that when he put those on, It "fixed" his wobbling problem. Thats probably the same "wobble" that I'm experiencing.

So, I think I'll start with replacing the tires. Then, look at replacing the shocks. I do hear sort of a squeaking sound coming from the right front shocks.
Old 10-05-11, 12:28 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

^^ The tires are used and in need of replacing. they look like less than 50% tread left and I'm at 40psi. I read in the other post about the Kumho that when he put those on, It "fixed" his wobbling problem. Thats probably the same "wobble" that I'm experiencing.

So, I think I'll start with replacing the tires. Then, look at replacing the shocks. I do hear sort of a squeaking sound coming from the right front shocks.
40 PSI is way too much air in those tires. You do not go by what is on the sidewall, you go by what is says in the Owner's Manual or on the vehicle itself. Drop them down to 32 PSI and see how the car is then.
Old 10-05-11, 07:48 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You should register at the Lexus Owner's website. The complete Lexus service history of your vehicle will be there as well as any warranty work or recalls.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 10-05-11, 10:52 AM
salimshah

Hey I forgot to mention the best advice for new owner is:

Read the owners manual

A simple thing that lots of owners dont do and never get to know the vehicle they own.

Salim
Old 10-06-11, 01:22 PM
LxRxKen
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, i just started reading it. Funny thing is, the Check Engine Light is on now, along with the VSC or AVC (stability control) light is on too. Which means its "OFF". I'm trying to figure out how to turn it back "ON" so that stability control is active. Dont want it slipping and rolling when mom drives it.

The dealership where I bought it from says that CEL will come on if the gas cap is not on tightly but I've tightened it and tightened it. But the light is still on. So, I'll have to drive 35 mins to have their techs hook up the computer and get it reset. Unless someone knows a way to do it. But I might as well have them run a full diagnostic while i'm there just for my eyes to see. I'll be pissed if I stuck with a lemon.
Old 10-06-11, 01:29 PM
LxRxKen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rainbird
You should register at the Lexus Owner's website. The complete Lexus service history of your vehicle will be there as well as any warranty work or recalls.

thanks, I just did
Old 10-06-11, 01:56 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cars are traded for a reason. The lights coming on could be any of several things, none very serious usually. If it isn't the gas cap it could be oxygen sensors, the previous owner could have been running the cheapest gas he could find.

My point is, you are going to get to fix all the things the last guy decided he didn't want to do. As the car approaches middle age there are things it will need, bite the bullet and do them. These are phenomenal cars if properly maintained.

If I had just bought a car like that I would fix whatever needed fixing, change all the fluids, get new tires and an alignment, pads and rotors if necessary...oh wait. I just did all that in March on my 330.
Old 10-06-11, 02:34 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Yeah, i just started reading it. Funny thing is, the Check Engine Light is on now, along with the VSC or AVC (stability control) light is on too. Which means its "OFF". I'm trying to figure out how to turn it back "ON" so that stability control is active. Dont want it slipping and rolling when mom drives it.

The dealership where I bought it from says that CEL will come on if the gas cap is not on tightly but I've tightened it and tightened it. But the light is still on. So, I'll have to drive 35 mins to have their techs hook up the computer and get it reset. Unless someone knows a way to do it. But I might as well have them run a full diagnostic while i'm there just for my eyes to see. I'll be pissed if I stuck with a lemon.

Check to see if your RX was part of a recall for a brake light switch and if so whether it was done or not. You can find this information by registering your vehicle with Lexus on the web at the web site Rainbird mentioned:

If there is a recall for your vehicle it will show there.

The brake light switch issue will set off all those lights.
Old 10-06-11, 10:04 PM
LxRxKen
Driver School Candidate

^ ok, will do, I'm taking it in tomorrow morning. Yeah, my mom was passive about it, mainly bc of the color, but I love it. It was pretty clean. But yeah, I'm planning on doing oil changes at every 3k miles bc the record shows the previous owner changed every 5k. And from what I was reading in previous threads about sludging, I would like to be extra cautious about it until comfortable.

Does anyone know the type of oil to be used? 5w30? synthetic? synthetic blend?

thanks again everyone!
Old 10-06-11, 10:27 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

^ ok, will do, I'm taking it in tomorrow morning. Yeah, my mom was passive about it, mainly bc of the color, but I love it. It was pretty clean. But yeah, I'm planning on doing oil changes at every 3k miles bc the record shows the previous owner changed every 5k. And from what I was reading in previous threads about sludging, I would like to be extra cautious about it until comfortable.

Does anyone know the type of oil to be used? 5w30? synthetic? synthetic blend?

thanks again everyone!
READ THE OWNER'S MANUAL

5K mile oil changes are the norm. Doing it at 3K is unnecessary and wasteful. There is no sludge build up problems with the 330 and 350 engines. Extended life oil changes are the norm now. Newer engines that are coming out now will go 10K between oil changes and then some. Not the case with yours, however, though 5K mile oil changes have been around for the RX since the 2004 RX330 which is what I have. Talk to your service writer about the oil change intervals on the 2011 and 2012 RX350.

Synthetic oil is not required. Use it if it makes you feel better. Dino is OK to use. As I do many myself and because I can I use Mobil 1. 5QT containers are on sale at Walmart. Get my WIX filters from NAPA. As for weight, 5W30 I believe for the 2008 RX350. Again, it is in the Owner's Manual.

Did you drop the air pressure in your tires? Better now?

Quick Reply: Hello, New Owner Advice